Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:41 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,022,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So that means hooking up an OBD2 scanner would be illegal?
Going by the wording that would be correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,564,111 times
Well that's a croc of BS.

One by one my hobbies are being regulated out of existence. Drones, shooting, cars.....if they ban golf i'm screwed.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,099,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yeah, but it's the government we're talking about, they aren't the brightest bulb in the dashboard.

That's why SEMA exists, to make sure that that sort of thing doesn't happen.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:30 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,259,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So that means hooking up an OBD2 scanner would be illegal?
The words "without authorization" cover that. You can use an OBD2 scanner as long as you aren't trying to sneak past yourself and do it without your authorization.

The intent of the law is good. It basically wants to prevent hackers from messing with your ECU which could cause a fatal accident.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:41 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,022,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The words "without authorization" cover that. You can use an OBD2 scanner as long as you aren't trying to sneak past yourself and do it without your authorization.

The intent of the law is good. It basically wants to prevent hackers from messing with your ECU which could cause a fatal accident.
Which should actually already be illegal from an existing law, likely more than one.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:49 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,259,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Which should actually already be illegal from an existing law, likely more than one.
In a government of the lawyers, by the lawyers, for the lawyers, it's necessary to increase the number of laws as much as possible, so unemployed lawyers can always get work interpreting those laws.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,839,708 times
Quote:

I know I regularly face hacker attacks on my daily commute and when someone takes control of my ride I freak out and panic rather than taking my Jeep out of gear, coasting off to the side of the road and turning the engine off.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,786,297 times
Quote:

Yeah, better pass a law. That always works!

If someone messed with your ECU causing a fatal accident that would be murder, which last I checked was still actually illegal. I think we still have laws regarding reckless endangerment, assault and many others that would cover non-lethal tampering as well.

If we make a thousand laws each dealing with one little thing, there are bound to be lots of unintended consequences.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:31 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,936,279 times
Yeah, that will work, because we already know that no one would dare to break laws in this country

Old 10-23-2015, 02:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,283,660 times
Quote:

Without authorization would permit the owner to provide authorization. However for vehicles it would depend on the licensing of the software the vehicle is running, you don't own the software, you have a license to use it (and ECU software is company IP so there will be a license of some form). This could mean that the authority does not reside with the cars owner (who is merely a licensee), but the software licenser, which may not even be the vehicle manufacturer who may just be an OEM for a ECU software company.

I don't think it's as simple as you're thinking it is. GM has already stated it owns the software running on your vehicle, so for GM the car owner could not authorize.
General Motors says it owns your car's software
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive