Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 AM

259 posts, read 268,495 times

Advertisements

Some good advice and comparisons in this thread.

May I add the Subaru XV Crosstrek into the mix? This is 2015, but it should be close enough and the website contains some good points, even if produced by a dealership:
Boston Subaru Dealer | Planet Subaru compares the Subaru Impeza with the Subaru XV Crosstrek | Planet Subaru Hanover Massachusetts

I'd pick between these two:
Subaru Impreza Wagon / XV Crosstrek (AWD for NJ winters and IIHS top safety pick)
Mazda CX-3 (I agree with the fun to drive, and your commute is 50 miles)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:57 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,849,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Um, this post about Mazda is so wrong. Ford has almost zero invested into Mazda. The CX-3 is Mazda in its entirety, along with almost all current Mazda products. The only exception is the CX-9.
I have to second this. According to some knowledgeable people I was just talking to, Ford had a 30% ownership stake in the company for a while (up til 2008) but the only Mazdas that ever had anything to do with a Ford design are the CX-9 and Mazda Tribute.

However, Ford had several designs based on Mazdas which turned out to be highly reliable and excellent sellers. Ford also used some Mazda parts in their cars during their best period.

Despite having a factory in the US, which I see as a very good thing, Mazda has always been a Japanese company.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 AM

259 posts, read 268,495 times
Mazda has always made "driver's cars." They're generally more responsive to road conditions and your driving inputs than typical cars. Some people just want safe economical cars, and there are many manufacturers that do this well. But I think Mazda makes cars for people who love driving too.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:03 AM

155 posts, read 303,894 times

Thanks for the great article! It's really giving me something to think about.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:32 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,427 times
I've been very pleased with both of my Mazdas. Highly recommended. Also, Ford is no longer involved with Mazda.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:39 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I don't see anything on the list with an American name on it, so I can't help you...
That's because he said he needs a reliable vehicle.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:41 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times
I would recommend the Subaru Impreza Wagon, without any doubts or reservations.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,403,544 times
All cars on that list are great and you won't go wrong with whichever one you choose. Having said that, I like the HR-V (yes, even with its CVT) and the Subaru.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:09 PM

155 posts, read 303,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
All cars on that list are great and you won't go wrong with whichever one you choose. Having said that, I like the HR-V (yes, even with its CVT) and the Subaru.
On paper I think the HR-V was my top choice but when I drove it, it wasn't so appealing just based purely on the fact that it was so "hondaish" - I love Hondas but since I've only ever had them, I guess I want to just change it up! Still deciding though.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the Honda dealership I went to. They basically made it sound like HR-Vs are so hard to get that I should take the super tricked out one they have right now because who knows when I would actually get one otherwise.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:33 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
That's because he said he needs a reliable vehicle.
haha! This is becoming more and more true! It's on my mind since we are looking for a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I've been very pleased with both of my Mazdas. Highly recommended. Also, Ford is no longer involved with Mazda.
I LOVED my Mazda. If they had a vehicle that fit my family they would be at the top of my list.

Based off your list, I would go with the Mazda or Subaru. After owning my Honda, I don't want another one and would not recommend it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive