Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

these cameras are about nothing but revenue. if you truthfully want people to stop speeding put more cops on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Knock on wood, I've nevber had any problems in OH. But I have had a KY "Revenue-er" get $158 from me for a headlihght out... Anymore, I HATE driving in IN because they have REALLY stepped up enforcement and do stuff like raising/lowering speed limits in close proximity to catch drivers off guard.

Anyone who thinks red light cameras are a good idea should be forced to try to stop an empty tractor trailer on a wet/snowy road at the 2-second yellow lights that are in intersections where the cameras are...

Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
I can picture myself like coolhand luke out there with a pipe cutter lobbing those camera posts in half!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:57 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
We had those here in town except they were called "red light" cameras and basically they took your pic and sent you a fine if you were one of those who floors the pedal to get thru an intersection when the light is about to go from yellow to red.

The only thing I don't like about them is what if you let someone else drive your car and they get busted? You are the one who still gets mailed the ticket and then have to prove you are innocent.

Even better....what if your car was stolen and the thief was the one who was busted yet still you're mailed the ticket? Talk about adding salt to a wound....
Here in Europe (Norway specifically for me), we've had these things (speed traps, not red light cameras)for as long as I remember, and about 5-10 years ago they put in place legislation to address this very issue. They now have to have a sign posted within 1 mile of the camera to let you know you will have your photograph taken if you speed (Privacy laws apply), they also have to be able to identify the driver in the picture to send out the ticket, in other words, they are all front facing cameras.

They been proven to slow the speed not only at the camera site directly, but also for a few miles after that. From experience, they do have somewhat of a chilling effect, if placed in key locations, but generally you'll slow down for them and increase after.

To fight this, they've now started to put out average speed cameras, taking your picture at two occasions with a set distance and measuring your speed by calculating how long it took you to get there. We'll wait and see I suppose but, I fear they could potentially cause more accidents, however, they haven't been in place long enough to reach any conclusions.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
about 5-10 years ago they put in place legislation to address this very issue. They now have to have a sign posted within 1 mile of the camera to let you know you will have your photograph taken if you speed (Privacy laws apply), they also have to be able to identify the driver in the picture to send out the ticket, in other words, they are all front facing cameras.

They been proven to slow the speed not only at the camera site directly, but also for a few miles after that. From experience, they do have somewhat of a chilling effect, if placed in key locations, but generally you'll slow down for them and increase after.

They could save taxpayer's money and have the same effect then just putting up the signs and either having no camera at all or just some empty black box mounted to look like a camera!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Not quite the same thing, but I have a business which has a fleet of vehicles.

One night I needed to send one of my employees (brand new and the youngest) to the cargo section of the airport to pick something up. Between our location and the airport, there is a toll road. I gave this employee the exact amount he'd need to pay the tolls round trip and also and extra $40 just in case he had some type of problem.

The next day he reported that he carried out his task without any problems and returned the $40.

A Month or so passed by and I got an official looking envelope in the mail. Much to my surprise, there was a letter with dated photos attached of the rear end of my vehicle showing the license plate. It took my about 2 minutes to ascertain that this young guy blew off the tolls and pocketed the (rather paltry) cash. It wasn't enough to bother garnishing his paycheck, but that paycheck was also his last.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:53 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
They could save taxpayer's money and have the same effect then just putting up the signs and either having no camera at all or just some empty black box mounted to look like a camera!
They do that a lot actually, it has the same effect, but it doesn't really work unless some of them have cameras. With the price drop and quality increase of Digital cameras though, they've started putting cameras in a lot more of them.

Funnily enough, they keep the cameras off a lot of the time though, god knows why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive