Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 06:04 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

I'd like a compressor that isn't larger than a breadbox and has a pressure gauge built into the nozzle. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'd like a compressor that isn't larger than a breadbox and has a pressure gauge built into the nozzle. Any recommendations?
I got a Black & Decker and it works great.
Black & Decker Air Station Inflator : Target

Old 12-13-2015, 07:27 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
I keep one of these in each of our cars under the trunk floor. Can set a psi for it to stop inflating.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002ZB...rIL&ref=plSrch

Old 12-13-2015, 10:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
You can buy a little 12 volt rattle trap "compressor" like those listed above that will fill a 17" tire in about 20 minutes and might last thru 3, maybe 4 tires before the little dry cylinder Chinese made pump just won't anymore(it has no lubrication for the piston/rings). Or you can spend a little more and get a compressor....a real compressor. Lowes has a pancake 6 gallon .8HP on sale for under 100 bucks. The deal is so good even if you don't need one, you should buy this one. It will fill a 17" tire in less than a minute. So how valuable is your time?
Shop PORTER-CABLE 0.8-HP 6-Gallon 150-PSI 120-Volt Pancake Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com

So you know, you'll still need a hose and tire nozzle. You can set the compressor regulator to quit pushing air at whatever pressure you set it at. If 35lbs is all you'll need, set the dial and it stops when it gets that much. You can also run nail guns and some other tools off of this compressor.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:37 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah a home compressor comes in handy for all sorts of other uses. But I still recommend a portable one to keep in the car. Never had a problem with one even after using them dozens of times over years and years.

Usually just need to top them off with seasonal changes in temps with a few psi not a complete inflation.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:14 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
To keep at home, in the car, or ?????????

Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
+ Another for the B&D Air Station...
It can fit in car, it will run off any hot receptacle in your car, it works in garage via A/C elec., and it works.

I have a 25 yr old model that still runs, and a newer model that I carry around in the VetteVert, (no run flats).

The PorterCable is top notch too, but more than one needs to top off tires, and not portable in a car.

Both my old version and newer version will pump up serious sized tires.
GL, mD

Old 12-14-2015, 06:32 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah a home compressor comes in handy for all sorts of other uses. But I still recommend a portable one to keep in the car. Never had a problem with one even after using them dozens of times over years and years.

Usually just need to top them off with seasonal changes in temps with a few psi not a complete inflation.
^^^^This. I bought a little portable compressor from Harbor Freight and keep it in the car. Even when a tire got down to 6 psi, it only took about 5 minutes to fill the tire up. Bought me enough inflation and time to get to my mechanic, who fixed the leak. My husband has a pancake compressor, which does work great, but for portability, the B&D and others do the job, especially since you can plug them into your cigarette lighter.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:06 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Go search on Ebay for a Porsche compressor. A lot of their cars come with spares that require inflating before use, so they bundle them with a small air compressor that isn't cheaply made. Like this:

New Porsche Air Compressor | eBay

I know people who have used those things for decades and they still work.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Thanks for the replies.

After doing more research, it seems like only the smaller ones which are meant for automobiles specifically will allow me to specify what pressure I want in my tires. Is that correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive