Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:12 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

I would pretend you already moved out, form a budget, and then see what you can afford. One of the things I wish I could tell my younger self was to not overextend myself like I did just to have a fun car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:19 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I would pretend you already moved out, form a budget, and then see what you can afford. One of the things I wish I could tell my younger self was to not overextend myself like I did just to have a fun car.
When you say afford, are you talking about gas, insurance, maintenance?
If so, just realize you're preaching to the choir here. My RX-8 got 14mpg, 16 on a good day, took only premium, would basically die if you forgot oil changes, etc. etc. I have a budget planned out based on a friends numbers for living expenses and stuff (we basically live the same lifestyle, so should be mostly accurate) that was targeted towards life with my RX-8.

Thanks though

Old 01-07-2016, 10:35 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
If so, just realize you're preaching to the choir here. My RX-8 got 14mpg, 16 on a good day, took only premium, would basically die if you forgot oil changes, etc. etc. I have a budget planned out based on a friends numbers for living expenses and stuff (we basically live the same lifestyle, so should be mostly accurate) that was targeted towards life with my RX-8.

Thanks though

Don't forget insurance. You had an at fault accident so if you buy a "looks like it goes fast" you'll get nicked for that and the wreck.

The questions you have to ask yourself are, "How long will my friends give me rides until they get irritated?" and "How long can I tolerate depending on someone else to get around?".

Old 01-07-2016, 10:42 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Thanks though
You present yourself as mature sometimes then you get an "I already know it all" attitude and it tosses you into a very self absorbed, self important, less than favorable or credible light.
YOU asked the question, the least you could do is not argue with those giving you an answer or opinion.
Also, a budget planned on any lifestyle that is not your own is useless, no one has *basically* the same lifestyle, debts, spending habits, etc. So you have wasted time making a useless budget, time to get back to budget making 101. Instead of getting rides from everyone use public transportation or get a bicycle until you can afford to pay cash for a vehicle. Be responsible for yourself and your transportation, do not depend on others.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't forget insurance. You had an at fault accident so if you buy a "looks like it goes fast" you'll get nicked for that and the wreck.

The questions you have to ask yourself are, "How long will my friends give me rides until they get irritated?" and "How long can I tolerate depending on someone else to get around?".
Oh yeah, I meant to include insurance in there too. Through my insurance company, I get "First Accident Forgiveness" which I hope will work on this. I haven't spoke with anyone about it yet though, so can't be sure.

I think that second question is the real deal breaker :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You present yourself as mature sometimes then you get an "I already know it all" attitude and it tosses you into a very self absorbed, self important, less than favorable or credible light.
YOU asked the question, the least you could do is not argue with those giving you an answer or opinion.
Also, a budget planned on any lifestyle that is not your own is useless, no one has *basically* the same lifestyle, debts, spending habits, etc. So you have wasted time making a useless budget, time to get back to budget making 101. Instead of getting rides from everyone use public transportation or get a bicycle until you can afford to pay cash for a vehicle. Be responsible for yourself and your transportation, do not depend on others.
Woah. I was just saying that it's something I considered. I wasn't trying to argue with anyone. Is "You're preaching to the choir" considered rude? (genuine question)
I've actually been really impressed with the guys who have responded so far. I feel like everyone is being very civil and decent. Nothing at all like the folks in "Non-Romantic Relationships." I had no intent of arguing with anyone.

I'm not sure why you take so many problems with what I've said. We do have basically the same life style. We have the same interests and 9/10 will put forward the same amount of money towards the same stuff. How similar our interests and ideals are is actually somewhat crazy. We met after he challenged me to do a backflip, which I did, then he did. This wouldn't be so weird, except that we both attended a vocational school with numerous different IT specialties and we both favored programming (which was not a class favorite, trust me.) We were both nerds who could do backflips. We both ended up with similarly paying full time jobs out of highschool in very similar fields of work. We actually do have very similar lifestyles. I just noticed that we're both paying off our last bad investment which no longer works with almost the same total debt :P
Don't mistake this for "I just looked at how much he spends on personal expenses, and copied that." I used his for utility costs, food costs, etc.

Why is my budget useless? The only thing I really have to adjust around is how much I'll be spending on insurance once I get a new car and gas money once I figure out how much the new car is gonna cost.

Also, it's not like anyone is driving across town to bend over backwards and help me. I explained in my original post that my dad works at the same business I do. So I just wake up a little earlier and go in when he does. This isn't a burden for him. If he wasn't gonna go one day, I could either take a paid day off and be fine or I could use public transportation, as you said.

If anyone was finding my posts offensive here, I'm truly sorry. I appreciated the input and was not trying to come off as though I already knew what they were saying.

Last edited by Skyl3r; 01-07-2016 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
How much cash do you have right now?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
How much cash do you have right now?
Depends on how much I get for my car, and how much towing is gonna end up costing me.
Something like $1k that can be dedicated to new car funds at this second. Whether it's a beater or not a beater, I'll have to save up a bit. Difference being a beater is doable relatively soon (next month, probably.)

Old 01-07-2016, 11:42 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
You should save up but you can get a 350z for under 10k all day, and probably under 80k miles as well. I have had a 370Z for two years now and love it, only regret was not getting a stick shift.

A Miata is also a great choice for a cheap fun car, and would probably save you on gas and insurance. (and initial price, especially an NA Miata) If you are into having a fun car like me you will regret getting a corolla. I daily drove my Z for two years and just got a beater for bad weather and always plan on having a sports/fun car. It never gets old

Old 01-07-2016, 11:51 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:

No. Rent, renters insurance, electric, cable, telephone, 401K/IRA, health and dental costs, 6 month emergency fund, entertainment expenses, etc etc. Then you can factor in your automotive expenses and determine what you can afford. Plus you never know if you meet Ms Right next year and decide to get married in 1-2 years.

I'm one to talk though. During/After college I lived at home and had a brand new Mustang GT, in addition to an older model. I won't talk you out of it at all because that experience helped shape my financial goals today.

Besides...you are young and should have some fun before you get to my age with a 4-door G35 sedan and two baby seats in the back.

Mustang's still in the garage though.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
You should save up but you can get a 350z for under 10k all day, and probably under 80k miles as well. I have had a 370Z for two years now and love it, only regret was not getting a stick shift.

A Miata is also a great choice for a cheap fun car, and would probably save you on gas and insurance. (and initial price, especially an NA Miata) If you are into having a fun car like me you will regret getting a corolla. I daily drove my Z for two years and just got a beater for bad weather and always plan on having a sports/fun car. It never gets old
That's awesome! That would probably have been my first question, stick or auto? For whatever reason I was under the impression that the autos were a bit faster. My RX-8 was stick and I had a great time driving that thing around, so I plan to get a stick 350 or 370 if I go that route.

Yeah... Miatas... I've been told all kinds of stories about how great they handle and how fun they are, but the thought of my head poking the roof of the car while I'm driving always kills my drive to get one :P I'd have to consider it. I'm with you though on the fun car thing. My first two cars were both trashy. I had a 2002 Impala that would rock around like a boat and a 1999 Grand AM that was a rust bucket. The difference between those cars and the RX-8 was amazing. Even driving my friend's Aura, it felt like a whole different world. Everything felt numb. That's the best way I can describe it.

The problem I'm having with the 350z is that all I can find are rebuilt ones and people selling 2003s for 10$k.
I saw a 2003 z with 60k on a used car lot for $6800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
No. Rent, renters insurance, electric, cable, telephone, 401K/IRA, health and dental costs, 6 month emergency fund, entertainment expenses, etc etc. Then you can factor in your automotive expenses and determine what you can afford. Plus you never know if you meet Ms Right next year and decide to get married in 1-2 years.

I'm one to talk though. During/After college I lived at home and had a brand new Mustang GT, in addition to an older model. I won't talk you out of it at all because that experience helped shape my financial goals today.

Besides...you are young and should have some fun before you get to my age with a 4-door G35 sedan and two baby seats in the back.

Mustang's still in the garage though.
Oh yeah, I tried to plan for all that stuff, but I'll have to see how the real data looks when I move out. Fortunately between work and leveraging friends and family knowledge, I think I got it mostly taken care of.
Haha, that's awesome though. How do you like your GT? I've always had mixed emotions about Mustangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive