Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM

339 posts, read 666,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Why a junk mini-van? They are not a class vehicle and they are so out dated these days even Chrysler is dropping the vehicle. Get a good SUV. Here's a dandy Lexus RX 300 SUV in your budget with just under 80,000 miles on the clock. A mini-van- pleez say no!
Cars for Sale: 2001 Lexus RX 300 4WD in Naugatuck, CT 06770: Sport Utility Details - 420051167 - Autotrader
Wow that's a nice SUV

Which takes me to my next question.

What spacious SUV could I find at that price point? Most of the SUVs I've been in are glorified cars with slightly more trunk space than a sedan. Unless we were looking at a Pilot or Highlander, which has the added 3rd row, I figured we should eliminate SUVs from our search.

What SUV make/model would you recommend at the price point im at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:42 PM

902 posts, read 1,106,121 times
1- anything Japanese
2- preferably with the timing belt already done
3- service records (if possible)

Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
i say go for the chrysler minivan, or the dodge version. my brother owns one now, and has owned a number over the years, and they have all been good vehicles.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:47 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Looking to buy a home and don't want to add a car payment into the mix. I have $7k in cash I could use to buy a mini van outright.

I am finding older Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey in the price range but tend to be nearing 200k miles and 10 years old.

Another option is a dodge or Chrysler that's only 7 or 8 years old. Less miles too

Concerns are:

1) what does that say about dodge or Chrysler if they're only worth $7k after 7 years... but I see the newer year and less miles and instinctually think it's better because older cars have more problems and neither my wife or I are mechanically inclined

2) if I should opt for an older Toyota or Honda (some in my prince range are 11 years old) would I be investing in a money pit? Do those years/models have known issues?

3) would the reliability of Honda or Toyota outweigh the newer age of other brands?

4) safety features. Looks like older Hondas and toyotas didn't have all the air bag capacity that they have now. One reason I am considering brands like dodge is the safety measures taken in newer vans vs older vans

Would we be better off looking at a more reliable make/model in SUV? We have wanted a mini van for quite some time. Our Nissan Altima is too small as a family of 4. We need more room and trunk space.
Toyota, Honda or walk in that order. NEVER the Chrysler.....the Sienna typically costs 5K when new less than Honda and it's a better minivan but, not as "good looking"......the Honda Odyssey's tend to be bit underpowered and the transmissions give up the ghost at that age if not before....used 10 year olds are 3-5k......have a 2008 Sienna right now and it has about 95K miles....believe it or not, it's needed less maintenance than my camry's which I adore.....it's a stellar power plant and if you keep changing the oil with synthetic, don't haul 5,000lbs of whatever in it they hold up.....V6 is rock solid smooooooth and the transmission hasn't given us a lick of trouble...handles well too....newer ones are even better.....

I've looked at used Honda's quite a bit and they all seem to have that transmission issue either side of 120,000....nice looking but, underpowered....AC isn't as strong either.....they look more cross-overish which gets the chick vote and the sale...not as good of a van though.....

The Chrysler vans are junk....we had them in a fleet for shuttles and they never held up....they literally fall apart....skip it....

Old 02-04-2016, 04:00 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
I'm a firm believer that ratty old vans are the best of all possible vehicles. You can take the back seats out and use them as a pickup truck - throw anything big you need in there, and it's covered. You can camp in them. And when people ask for a ride you say, "sorry, I don't have any seats!"

I had a wonderful 1993 Plymouth Voyager that lasted to 198,000 miles. I think I bought it for about $5000 in 1998, and drove it until 2006. It ran perfectly until it developed a chronic oil leak.

I currently have a wonderful 2005 Dodge Caravan that is on 140,000 miles. I bought it for $7000 in 2011. I've never had to do anything more than regular oil changes, until I just bought a new battery a few weeks ago.

Hurrah for cheap ratty old vans!

Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
No question...and I don't buy American cars! So you know I mean it ...
Mercury Villager(Nissan Quest), period....do the research...
I learned this from a brilliant mechanic turned salesman that drives from Seattle to Tucson!
He knows...I trusted him and now I know....the least maintenance EVER!
What a car....van.

Even less maintenance then my Toyotas and Hondas.
Read what others have said. I'm hooked.
Do your research...

Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Toyota, Honda or walk in that order. NEVER the Chrysler.....the Sienna typically costs 5K when new less than Honda and it's a better minivan but, not as "good looking"......the Honda Odyssey's tend to be bit underpowered and the transmissions give up the ghost at that age if not before....used 10 year olds are 3-5k......have a 2008 Sienna right now and it has about 95K miles....believe it or not, it's needed less maintenance than my camry's which I adore.....it's a stellar power plant and if you keep changing the oil with synthetic, don't haul 5,000lbs of whatever in it they hold up.....V6 is rock solid smooooooth and the transmission hasn't given us a lick of trouble...handles well too....newer ones are even better.....

I've looked at used Honda's quite a bit and they all seem to have that transmission issue either side of 120,000....nice looking but, underpowered....AC isn't as strong either.....they look more cross-overish which gets the chick vote and the sale...not as good of a van though.....

The Chrysler vans are junk....we had them in a fleet for shuttles and they never held up....they literally fall apart....skip it....
Last time I seen the hp rating on an Oddyssey, it was 295 at the crank..." underpowered"...

Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 AM

For 7grand I'd buy an Astro/Safari, and do an LS swap with an Fbody spec T56, and S10 pedal assembly

Old 02-05-2016, 03:16 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Nissan Quest - cheap and reliable because they aren't desirable
Ditto

Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Subaru Forester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive