Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:09 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A 1956 plan for driverless cars in 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2iRDYnzwtk
An absurd thought from a time of supposed American Exceptionalism.

Of course we thought that in the 1950's, we thought we could do anything.

---

I'm not saying that driverless cars are here now and ready to go, but they are FAR from a pipe dream.

Every luxury manufacturer has some sort of driver less feature, or driver aides in case of driver inaction.

It's just a matter of time especially if companies continue to do the work.

I just don't understand the animus towards it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 12:14 PM

207 posts, read 275,363 times
Quote:
And yet after five years of testing, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, they just had one of their cars turn into the side of a 60 foot long bus, and that happened in their home city where 99% of their testing has been done. They will eventually have to do that much testing in every city and area they plan to operate these cars in. Because they have to map out the entire city and program the software for the traffic patterns and hazards. And all it will take to throw the whole system off, is one city worker deciding to put a couple of sand bags around a storm drain.

I’ve said it before, I'll say it again. Testing these cars in a city that gets only 60 days of light rain a year, is going to be a piece of cake, compared to testing them in cities that have snow on the ground half the year.

Self-driving cars are just not going to become common in any of our lifetimes. However some of the technology will end up in cars to aid drivers, but the cars are not going to be driverless.
Ok, we may be saying the same thing but I just want to clarify. The car went into the center lane, after letting a couple of cars pass, assuming the bus would yield to allow it to go around an obstruction (which I agree is faulty to assume). The Car did not run into the side of a vehicle that was already in the position. It was moving 15mph and the car was at 2mph glanced off the side when the bus didn't slow down which only caused minor damage to the google car, not to the bus. The bus was not sitting still when the accident took place.

Also, I'll place my money on these companies knowing what they're doing concerning the future of autonomous vehicles (Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, GM, Google, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Renault, Tesla, Toyota, Volvo, and Jaguar) which all plan on having their own autonomous vehicle on the road in 5 years (some sooner). That's outside what Google and Apple may be working on.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
Ok, we may be saying the same thing but I just want to clarify. The car went into the center lane, after letting a couple of cars pass, assuming the bus would yield to allow it to go around an obstruction (which I agree is faulty to assume). The Car did not run into the side of a vehicle that was already in the position. It was moving 15mph and the car was at 2mph glanced off the side when the bus didn't slow down which only caused minor damage to the google car, not to the bus. The bus was not sitting still when the accident took place.
I din’t say the bus was not moving. Just for more clarification though. The Google car did not go to the center lane. Both vehicles were in the outside right lane. The Google car was in the right side of the right lane, and attempted to move to the center of the right lane, which was in the path of the bus traveling at 15 mph.

I don’t see how this is anything other then an epic FAIL for Google. The first mistake the Google car made was ever getting out of the center of the lane to begin with. That said, I have driven through that same intersection and did the same thing the Google car did, hundreds of times without incident. Everybody does it, so I can’t blame the Google car for doing it. However, sometimes when you move your car out of the flow of traffic, you get blocked, and you might have to wait a while to reenter the flow. The Google car should not have expected traffic to just stop to let it back in. That’s a major flaw in the software.

From what I read, Google is going to reprogram the software to deal with “bully” bus drivers. They should be reprograming it to deal with basic road rules.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:57 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Still the google car was only going 2 miles per hour , which is too slow , and in many areas the bus has the right of way and cars have to stop and let the bus merge into the left lane after a pick up , ....But this google car move out of his lane and in the path to the bus , did the google car use the signals light , which would be illegal if it did not use the lights to go around the obstruction to then make a right hand turn ..... the google car should have been busted and send to a compound as the driver left the scene of the accident

Old 03-02-2016, 03:06 PM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's rather odd. Never heard of a bus having right of way over normal traffic, not a lot of busses in my area though. In this case it did have the right of way as it occupied the lane the Google car was trying to merge into, doesn't really matter that it was a bus, any vehicle in its position would have had the right of way.

In minnesota, when a bus is pulled over at a bus stop, and is then taking off to merge onto the street again, it does have the right away . theirs even a big sign that says "yeild" on the back.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:29 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
This is my reason (Traffic fatalities by year from 1990 to 2014 (nearly 1,000,000 deaths) if Autonomous vehicles can even cut this in half then it's well worth it but we all know the real goal behind this is not to just cut this number in half but to get as close as possible to eliminating it.

What's next on your "have to get rid of to protect us from ourselves" list, guns or swimming pools?

Old 03-02-2016, 04:40 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
In minnesota, when a bus is pulled over at a bus stop, and is then taking off to merge onto the street again, it does have the right away . theirs even a big sign that says "yeild" on the back.
Which is not really relevant, since the bus was not merging into traffic. It was the Google car that was merging into the path of the bus.

Anyway the California law allowing transit busses to have yield signs, expired in 2004. So this bus sould not have had a yield sign.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
... “tricky set of circumstances” that’s helped it “improve an important skill for navigating similar roads.”

The company echoes its report to the DMV, saying that the car and the test driver both predicted that the bus would yield to the vehicle, because they were ahead of it.
There's nothing tricky about it, they didn't yield the right of way to the bus. Never assume anything, just fricken wait your turn.

Quote:
And we can imagine the bus driver assumed we were going to stay put,” the report says. “Unfortunately, all these assumptions led us to the same spot in the lane at the same time,” adding that this isn’t a situation unique to self-driving vehicles, but a type of misunderstanding that humans encounter on the road every day .
OF COURSE the bus driver would think that, he had the right of way. There's no "misunderstanding" except that apparently Google doesn't know the rules of the road.

Quote:
"From now on, our cars will more deeply understand that buses (and other large vehicles) are less likely to yield to us than other types of vehicles, and we hope to handle situations like this more gracefully in the future,” the report says.
A LOT of people are not going to stop short to let you cut them off in traffic! What world do the people at Google live in? As for gracefully, they didn't handle this gracefully at all. They practically blamed it all on the bus driver without coming out and saying it was the fault of the bus driver. What a bunch of tool sheds.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:56 PM

199 posts, read 184,051 times
Quote:
At best a self-driving car is as good as a terrible driver.
Trying driving in California and you might have a different opinion on that! California has more unskilled drivers than anywhere else I have driven.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
This is all pretty absurd.

The googlemobile had a safety driver who agreed with the car that the bus would yield. The safety driver made the same decision that the car did. Both turned out to be wrong.

In the real world to come this would simply not be an issue. The coming communication package would have made it clear. The Bus would have broadcast it was not stopping and the Google would have stopped. This one is childish simple to avoid. Vehicle close to each other must communicate.

It is amazing to see the degree to which people avoid the obvious and unstoppable. The autonomous nehicle will hit the road by 2020 and will completely dominate by 2030. We will not keep killing people with the alternative.

I still think trucks first as that is the obvious market...long haul trucks. Simpler problem and bigger payoff. Just a matter of when the developers get around to making money rather than doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive