Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:48 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times

Advertisements

I usually refer to Edmunds.com for an appraisal.

Their method adjusts for location and condition and refers to actual sale prices. You will discover the real trade in value and you can learn how much of a savings you can expect to get by buying from a private sale vs dealer sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:25 AM

256 posts, read 453,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I usually refer to Edmunds.com for an appraisal.

Their method adjusts for location and condition and refers to actual sale prices. You will discover the real trade in value and you can learn how much of a savings you can expect to get by buying from a private sale vs dealer sale.
Didn't think about Edmunds. I'll throw that into the mix because like you said "adjust for location...", the insurance company does something similar. They look around the are and take an average of what the vehicle is selling for and then cuts you a check for that amount.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:29 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,383,369 times
OP, one tactic you may want to employ is negotiating via text messages. I did this with my last car purchase. The salesperson should be happy to give you his cell number, that way you don't feel any pressure and you can make offers from the comfort of your home or from your job, if you're able to text while at work.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:30 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Around me, I'd start with the Galves auction price. That's what the dealership is going to use to price a trade since it tells them what they'd get locally if they auction the trade off. Buying from a dealer, you then have to add in their reconditioning cost, overhead, and profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive