Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:54 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,212,192 times

Advertisements

I am going to just leave this classic video right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z51HgIouwE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:15 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Let's say a customer can't check the torque in 50 miles, do shops do that check for free?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:16 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
i went to pep boys for an oil change before hitting the road (300 miles) many years ago. i paid $35.

somewhere in the middle of i-95 my temperature guage went red. i limped to the closest gas station to buy a quart and the engine was bone dry (smoking).

when i got to my location i went to a pep boys they looked under the hood and said we dont even sell that brand of filter. showed them the reciept dated yesterday and they fixed it for free.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:08 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
This also happened to Ron White.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8rC6CPCvM

Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I wouldn't say it's common knowledge to check the work done by a shop after 50-100 miles. I've never heard of that in my life, and I'm 62...If a car requires an inspection after a repair, it's the duty of the shop to tell the customer, so the customer can take it somewhere for an inspection, IMO.
That's why it gets printed on the invoice/work order/receipt. The fact that you've never heard of it means nothing, it's been SOP at most major shops for a long time. Clearly, you know very little about the mechanical aspects of vehicles. One would assume that someone else does most of your vehicle work, but do you never read the invoice either?

Quote:
And I know no one who even knows how to do that, and few who know what what a lug nut is.
Wow. You must not get out much, and don't know people who are mechanically inclined...or don't pay enough attention to such things to know whether they are or not...which is not a criticism, it just means that your experience and knowledge in this area is lacking, and means tht the fact that *you* never heard of it is meaningless.

Quote:
I think the customer would likely win in a small claims case, if he could prove that the work done was the cause of the lug nut problem, and that the other damage was caused by the lug nut problem.
If the warning is printed on the invoice, which it generally is unless you are dealing with a backyard/shadetree mechanic, the customer doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i went to pep boys for an oil change before hitting the road (300 miles) many years ago. i paid $35.

somewhere in the middle of i-95 my temperature guage went red. i limped to the closest gas station to buy a quart and the engine was bone dry (smoking).

when i got to my location i went to a pep boys they looked under the hood and said we dont even sell that brand of filter. showed them the reciept dated yesterday and they fixed it for free.
Something wrong with this story.

If it was low on oil, the "Oil" idiot light on the dash panel would illuminate, or if it had a gauge it would drop to indicate low/no oil pressure.

Temperature going to the red zone indicates a lack of coolant.

The low oil indicator (of whatever type) would show the condition *long* before you could drive it far enough for the condition to overheat the engine. A lack of oil [pressure] can seize the motor without ever indicating a temperature problem...my wife learned this the hard way when she destroyed the motor in one of my favorite cars.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:59 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

If it was low on oil, the "Oil" idiot light on the dash panel would illuminate, or if it had a gauge it would drop to indicate low/no oil pressure.

Temperature going to the red zone indicates a lack of coolant.

The low oil indicator (of whatever type) would show the condition *long* before you could drive it far enough for the condition to overheat the engine. A lack of oil [pressure] can seize the motor without ever indicating a temperature problem...my wife learned this the hard way when she destroyed the motor in one of my favorite cars.
Actually, on my ancient car I hear lifter noise long before the idiot light comes on. By the time the light does come in, I'm pretty much out of oil. So I'd say that's car dependent - but probably much better indicators in newer cars.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:36 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

A lack of oil [pressure] can seize the motor without ever indicating a temperature problem...
And they certainly can't "fix" a seized engine.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
A couple years ago I bought a new set of tires at Big O. We had driven maybe 3 miles total when we started hearing an odd noise I had never heard before. We drove home and parked the car, planning to take it back to Big O the next day. It was dark and they were closed. Big O was in the neighborhood, maybe a mile from our house.

The next morning, my SO left to go to Big O. He made it about a block when 1 of the tires came off and bounced across 6 lanes of traffic. Luckily he had just turned on to the road and was only going about 10 mph in the right lane. He was able to park the car and retrieve the tire. Luckily no one was hurt and nothing was damaged. He walked down to Big O, and they came back to get the car. They did fix the problem. SO said it was very scary. Oddly funny to see the tire bouncing across the road like in a cartoon. We were very lucky it didn't cause an accident or damage another vehicle.

Big O was so grateful we didn't sue them they offered me free oil changes for life. Then they closed that location and my freebie went away! Darn it!

Old 03-20-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And they certainly can't "fix" a seized engine.
Tell me about it . (Not easily/cheaply anyway.)

It was my Olds Cutlass, at 10 below zero, and the choke stuck. The motor was at high revs with no oil flow.

She called me saying "The car won't start."

It was like pulling teeth to get the whole story out of her. When I finally figured out what had *really* happened, I asked her "You mean, you didn't think to SHUT THE KEY OFF!!?? You just let it race until it quit running completely?"

"Ummmm, yeah."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive