Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:01 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Here's the story:
90 GMC 4X4. I bought it new; I am going to keep it.
Original compressor. Condensor replaced 10 years ago when I hit a deer. Original dryer.
I have had to recharge the system every year for the past few years, so something has been leaking during the winter, but not the summer. I charged it up 3 weeks ago and it did not hold the charge for even a few days. Worked fine for a few days.

This is a 25 year old compressor, so I am going to replace it. Dryer, too.
But I don't have a vacuum pump; no one has one to rent, either. I hate the thought of not pulling a hard vacuum on the system for a few hours after the work is done. But I don't want to spend 80$ on a pump I will use ONCE.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can do this? The only thing I have is a hand vacuum pump, and I'm wondering if there is a way I can use it.....?

Any comments from experienced AC people would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 12:16 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
You're saving way more than 80 bucks by doing it yourself. That's how I always look at tool purchases.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:10 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
First of all, why are you replacing the compressor? All you've said so far is that the system is leaking. That means the seals, so they could be the seals on the compressor or somewhere else in the system.

Personally, I'd be checking for where the leak is before I went and replaced what could be a perfectly functioning compressor.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:51 PM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
First of all, why are you replacing the compressor? All you've said so far is that the system is leaking. That means the seals, so they could be the seals on the compressor or somewhere else in the system.

Personally, I'd be checking for where the leak is before I went and replaced what could be a perfectly functioning compressor.
+1 Don't just throw parts at it. Properly diagnose things first.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
I had a Ford that leaked, it was little rubber O rings where the hoses connected. A shop that does AC work will have an electronic sniffer that will pinpoint a leak exactly.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:06 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,954 times
+1 for what Mckinney said. Did the refrigerant you charged it with have leak detector in it? You didn't mention anything about the evaporator, if it's original it could be leaking. The first step though is to find out exactly where the problem is so you can fix it once and be done.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

That's actually a perfectly good question.
The system is 25 years old. It has stopped working, so I am rebuilding it. How long will it be before the compressor has a catastrophic failure and contaminates the entire system? No one knows. But if I replace the compressor now I can be reasonable sure that a catastrophic failure is some years away. The truck has 400,000 miles on it and I will ask it to keep running another 20 years. Chances are very great that the original compressor will not last that long.

As you say, the seals are leaking somewhere. Again, the chances are very great that the seals in the only moving part of the system (compressor) have failed. So if I replace the compressor there is a good chance that I will fix the entire problem. If not, it will not be expensive to pinpoint the seal that has failed.

Other functioning parts that have been replaced include battery, thermostat, water pump, Idler pulley, fan clutch, brake parts and fluid, and harmonic dampener.
All of this was started years ago when I read an article that pointed out that if an automobile was maintained like an aircraft they would last forever. So that's what I do. So far, so good.

Next year I am going to rebuild a perfectly functioning engine.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
You're saving way more than 80 bucks by doing it yourself. That's how I always look at tool purchases.

Looks like that's what I'll do.
I'll spend 80$, use it, put it back in the box and sell it on Ebay as slightly used. Maybe I'll get 50$ for it.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:42 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Looks like that's what I'll do.
I'll spend 80$, use it, put it back in the box and sell it on Ebay as slightly used. Maybe I'll get 50$ for it.
That works too. Although I can't see throwing parts at something. Put a can of refridgerant with a leak detector in it, for a couple of buck and a U/V light find out where the leak is. It could be the hoses. Or a fitting. One doesn't need a engine to fail on an airplane at 10,000ft but whats the worst that happens if your engine on a car fails? You end up on the shoulder of the highway?
Usually there is some warning of engine failure also, knocking, excessive smoke, etc.

I got this vacuum pump New Quality Air Vacuum Pump with Connectors AC Professional Easy Use Tool | eBay

on ebay, I thought it would be noisy and surprisingly it isn't and for $29.00 I just put it up on a shelf. I may have to reuse it this summer. The first time the condenser was leaking. I could actually tell by the oil leaking from it. Now it something else, a slow leak.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 PM

48 posts, read 96,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
That works too. Although I can't see throwing parts at something. Put a can of refridgerant with a leak detector in it, for a couple of buck and a U/V light find out where the leak is. It could be the hoses. Or a fitting. One doesn't need a engine to fail on an airplane at 10,000ft but whats the worst that happens if your engine on a car fails? You end up on the shoulder of the highway?
Usually there is some warning of engine failure also, knocking, excessive smoke, etc.

I got this vacuum pump New Quality Air Vacuum Pump with Connectors AC Professional Easy Use Tool | eBay

on ebay, I thought it would be noisy and surprisingly it isn't and for $29.00 I just put it up on a shelf. I may have to reuse it this summer. The first time the condenser was leaking. I could actually tell by the oil leaking from it. Now it something else, a slow leak.
A vacuum pump that is not rated for microns and or used without a micron gage is useless. Your system must be evacuated to 500 microns and it must hold that vacuum to insure that moisture and non condensibles have been removed.

Accutools Micro Bluvac Digital Micron Gauge with Coupler
Evacuation and Vacuum Training
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive