Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:39 PM

256 posts, read 453,200 times

Advertisements

Living in Alaska can be frustrating at times, especially when looking for new(er) vehicles, or looking for that 'one' you always wanted.

Most vehicles carry a premium on price in my neck of the woods. Even though they shouldn't these day, people here think their 'junk' is worth gold.

One day, I decided to look for vehicles on Ebay Motors, and noticed the vehicles from reputable (good rating) dealers are actually considerably less expensive than the average in Alaska. Even with shipping being factored in, which costs anywhere from $2500-$3500 average.

Wife just bought herself a 2016 Ford Escape and picks it up this Monday; however, I am unable to find a vehicle that is just right.

So, I am curious how would one go about purchasing a vehicle off Ebay?

- It would only come from a reputable, high rating dealer.
- Shipping says pick up time of 5 days from dealer. Does anyone know how long it would take to ship cross country or even to Alaska? Plan to call around on tomorrow or Monday.
- Does anyone have experience with doing this?
-Insert random off topic question here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,139,634 times
You might want to also ask same question in the AK or Anchorage forums. Sorry, I can't give you any useful info, I drove my vehicle up and back when I lived there.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I like the "insert random off topic question here" LOL.

Here's a random thought I had: What if you wanted to send it back or had a problem with it? Could you sue them in Alaska?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I like the "insert random off topic question here" LOL.

Here's a random thought I had: What if you wanted to send it back or had a problem with it? Could you sue them in Alaska?
That is a concern. Ebay supposedly offers some coverage / protection. Haven't looked into it much though, but will soon.

Edit: Got the shipping part figured out kinda. Take 3-5 days to pick up from location A, and up to 9 days to be delivered to my door.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:05 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times
Don't do it.

You'll be buying from some cruddy buy here/pay here lot that you'd never set foot in it it were real life.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:18 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
If you buy it from a reputable dealer then why not just fly down there and drive it home?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If you buy it from a reputable dealer then why not just fly down there and drive it home?
Flight costs last minute are very expensive + logistics and time. It would be about the cost of having it shipped so really it boils down to time. Wife would not be pleased with me if I randomly purchase a vehicle and take a nice 7-10 day trip.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:47 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Flight costs last minute are very expensive + logistics and time. It would be about the cost of having it shipped so really it boils down to time. Wife would not be pleased with me if I randomly purchase a vehicle and take a nice 7-10 day trip.
LOL, Honey, I bought this great car in Acapulco...

Old 04-08-2016, 08:51 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
You're always taking a chance if you buy a used car, even if you get a good pre-purchase inspection. Doing it long distance is more challenging because you don't know the seller, you don't really know the inspector, and it's going to be tough getting recourse against the seller if you have grounds for it.

I have heard of people flying to the car they're buying and driving it home, but once you're there the sunk cost fallacy is going to convince you to keep it even if you have doubts once you see it.

I've looked at cars long distance, and the good sellers on eBay Motors will show you dozens of pictures so you have what seems like a good sense of what you're getting, but I've never done it.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:31 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I'd only buy a car online if it was fairly expensive and still had factory warranty.

I've done it, both times I flew up to meet the guy, he picked me up at the airport, checked the car out (after already having seen plenty of pics and service records through email) went to the bank, gave him the money and got the title signed over to me, and drove home.

Not sure I would feel comfortable having a car delivered to me, I had a friend who did that and it was sent on an open transport, his car was parked on the bottom, and the car above it was leaking either coolant or brake fluid and it dripped all over the hood of his new car and ruined the paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive