Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:21 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Model Y follows 3. The demand for Y will be greater than 3. Y will be based the the model 3 platform.

Batteries are advancing at a faster pace with more money being pour into R&D. The next gen battery will have 3 times the energy density with less sensitivity to temperature.
Your 100% speculating on battery development. There's a feel good story about a miracle battery every week, and every week it turns out to be unfeasible. Even if it were invented, that won't help Tesla. Everybody else would just jump on it and run Tesla out off business. Traditional automakers, unlike Tesla, are flexible and utilize any technology available. Tesla is pretty much a one trick pony committed to simply adding more outdated batteries to add capacity. In either case batteries would need at least -0 times the energy density to compete with fossil fuels.

Unless the Y is $15k and does 0-60 in 3 seconds and comes with autopilot, demand will be roughly the same as someone buying a 4 door vs 2 door pickup truck. Might add a couple more people, but it's not going to exponentially multiply the demand. EVs are like motorcyles. There's a market for them, but their owners typically have a regular backup vehicle. They're a blast to drive and have a hard core cult following, but nobody expects them to replace the car.

You seem to know a lot about stuff that isn't invented yet. A little healthy skepticism will go along way, otherwise you're going to be in for a huge letdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
I would rather have a fun little 1980's early 90's CRX Si with a 5-speed manual a very fun to drive and fuel efficient car and you save $20K-$25K over a Tesla depending on how nice of one you find and buy .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4CXkHZCeQ

Old 04-19-2016, 12:15 PM

426 posts, read 424,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Your 100% speculating on battery development. There's a feel good story about a miracle battery every week, and every week it turns out to be unfeasible. Even if it were invented, that won't help Tesla. Everybody else would just jump on it and run Tesla out off business. Traditional automakers, unlike Tesla, are flexible and utilize any technology available. Tesla is pretty much a one trick pony committed to simply adding more outdated batteries to add capacity. In either case batteries would need at least -0 times the energy density to compete with fossil fuels.

Unless the Y is $15k and does 0-60 in 3 seconds and comes with autopilot, demand will be roughly the same as someone buying a 4 door vs 2 door pickup truck. Might add a couple more people, but it's not going to exponentially multiply the demand. EVs are like motorcyles. There's a market for them, but their owners typically have a regular backup vehicle. They're a blast to drive and have a hard core cult following, but nobody expects them to replace the car.

You seem to know a lot about stuff that isn't invented yet. A little healthy skepticism will go along way, otherwise you're going to be in for a huge letdown.
Why would I be letdown? I'm happy at the current pace of development. Ziggy, are you a member of the united auto workers Union? I know they are anti-tesla.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:48 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I would rather have a fun little 1980's early 90's CRX Si with a 5-speed manual a very fun to drive and fuel efficient car and you save $20K-$25K over a Tesla depending on how nice of one you find and buy .

I would LOVE to have one of these!!! I have a neighbor down the street who has a 1st gen, but it is pretty beat. I've thought about seeing if he will take a couple hundred bucks for it. I know he isn't driving it because the tags have been expired for about 6 months now.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:51 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:

I'd love to have one too, but with a B16A...however I'd still like a Tesla.

-------

The Model 3 will be a pretty big deal, it's just up to Tesla to deliver.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Why would I be letdown? I'm happy at the current pace of development. Ziggy, are you a member of the united auto workers Union? I know they are anti-tesla.
You'll be let down because you think things are going to happen that most likely won't. You just read green technology puff pieces and completely forget about feasibility.

You may find this hard to believe, but one could be a non-Koolaid drinking Tesla skeptic without being an oil company executive, car dealer or in the UAW.
Not all of us are suckers for propaganda.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 PM

Apparently the Model X sucks worse than the Model S...
Tesla Model X Is Bedeviled By Problems That Were Predicted By Experts

Old 04-19-2016, 10:35 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Quote:

I had to post as I have a 88 CRX Si restored, a 95 Del Sol with the rare B-16 DOHC VTEC, and a 98 Integra GSR. All are 5 speed.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:51 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Apparently the Model X sucks worse than the Model S...
Tesla Model X Is Bedeviled By Problems That Were Predicted By Experts
They should have never wasted the money on those silly gullwing doors. It was a useless feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive