Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:35 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Your 18 year old car is in the wear out mode. Anything and everything can fail suddenly. That's why it's a $900 car.

The problem is that some items are quite expensive. For example, if the transmission dies that's a $3K repair.

I don't keep old cars for that reason. Buy a new car with a warranty.
Only if OP buys a brand spanking new transmission made of platinum and has a dealer install it.

Next: GM 4L60E trans cost $3000 to rebuild.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 04:58 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
One big problem with continuing to fix a car in wear out mode is that you never know what will fail next.

I had a friend with a 16 year old car who paid $900 to get the blown head gasket fixed. Two weeks later the transmission blew up. That was going to cost over $2K.

The car was worth about $900. With the transmission fixed it would still be worth just $900.

So he donated it to Goodwill. That $900 repair for the head gasket was money down the toilet.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
At $900 this car owes you nothing. One thing to keep in mind with old cars, is they are more like aircraft or vessels. The purchase cost is a small amount of the overall cost of ownership. That is how I view my '95. To keep repair costs down I went out and bought another car just like mine with a blown engine. Robbed everything off of that car that I could and sold it for scrap when I was done. Out of pocket around $250 but I got a ton of parts off of it. I actually needed a transmission (that was the main reason I bought it) and swapped that transmission onto my car about a year later. With the car also came a newly installed radiator which I incidentally needed about a week after buying it as it developed a crack. What luck, as the radiator itself was around $250!

The nice thing about older cars is how easy they are to work on, and parts are fairly cheap. If you aren't doing the work yourself you are losing out on a significant cost savings and for the most part see no benefit to owning an older car, just the negatives. I would seriously recommend you sell this while you can and consider the purchase of a low priced new car such as a Hyundai.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:27 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
MEH, don't sweat throwing some money at your car.......it is NOT an investment, it is a money-pit.

I am cheap as h@11, but I bite the bullet and do what is nece$$ary to keep my piece of junk running......even though its next stop is probably the junkyard.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:06 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
"Duh!" moment of the year. This may have been the problem all along.

Just to be sure last night I checked the battery posts. The black negative one was attached pretty well, but the red positive one, it was very loose. I tightened it all up with my handy 12mm wrench. I bet that was it all along! (I had installed the new battery myself.)
Could very well be.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Something else to keep in mind since you switched out the radiator. You mentioned it still runs hot. It is possible that there is air in the system. Try and bleed out the air.

How to Bleed a Radiator: A DIY Guide - CarsDirect
This for sure you need to run the car with the cap off for quite a while...keep refilling until not air bubbles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive