Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

I used to be able to tell, but it is like I have drawn a blank, lol. Correct me if I am wrong. I am getting a shaky car (vibration) when braking down from highway speeds. I KNOW that I have some brake rotors that are out of round. I do not have any shaking in my steering wheel (no side to side shaking) when it does this, so if I remember correctly, this probably means my rear brakes are the culprit? My car has 4-wheel disc brakes (it is a '95 Lincoln Town Car). Is there any way to tell my looking? I guess if the pads are worn, that would be another signal?

As expensive as rotors are, I just don't want to replace wrong ones and still have a shake. Even the cheapest rotors are like $40.00 each. Years ago, I remember having them "resurfaced", but not sure if they do that anymore or not.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 10:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
They will resurface as long as there is sufficient meat left on them, usually one time, then they become too thin and need replacing. If it's pads that are worn down to the bare metal on the rear you will have to get new rotors. On the front, that usually makes a horrible scraping sound, but on the back it may not make noise, just vibration until really bad. How many miles on it? Rears commonly go 100,000 miles or more and are often overlooked and not checked until they are completely shot.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 PM

113 posts, read 619,215 times
I personally have never had my rotors turned. I usually would need to replace my brake pads around 50-60k on a vehicle so I would just buy new pads and rotors. I usually could go to the local parts store and pick up a decent set of ceramic brake pads, and a new set of rotors for under 100 dollars and just be done with it and good to go. I have never had to replace rear pads or shoes for that matter, they usually last a very very long time.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
Rock auto has them for like $25 a piece.

Rotors will have a stamping on the outer edge I think that will list the min thickness.

Sometimes the rotors will have heat scars on them. If the finish on the brake surface isnt smooth and consistent, they are no good.

You should also have the brake fluid flushed and the brake re bled as well

Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
It sounds like you need a complete brake job. Try and find a local general repair shop to do the job. If you car is over five years old have them change the brake fluid as well.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:55 AM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
FYI

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

But like others said - rotors are so CHEAP now...
Simply swap them out AND make sure you break them in right away. It is wise to have new pads bedded to new rotors, btw. Or, at least, resurface pads. And don't jam brake pedal into the floor whilst waiting at the red light. You'll create those pad impressions, looking like cracks.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Rotors do not go "out of round." They DO warp, which creates an uneven surface for brake pads to operate against. For front brakes that often causes the steering to shake when braking, especially from higher speeds.

I agree with not resurfacing them. Just replace them, especially if the rotors are many years old.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:17 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
They will resurface as long as there is sufficient meat left on them, usually one time, then they become too thin and need replacing. If it's pads that are worn down to the bare metal on the rear you will have to get new rotors. On the front, that usually makes a horrible scraping sound, but on the back it may not make noise, just vibration until really bad. How many miles on it? Rears commonly go 100,000 miles or more and are often overlooked and not checked until they are completely shot.
Thanks for ALL of the replies. Well yeah, the car is old, it is a 1995 model, but the brakes are not that old. It does not shake the steering wheel when it does this, so I am thinking it is the rear brakes, but they really do not have that many miles on them considering they are rear brakes. I think we replaced the rotors with new ones about 2 years ago... they may have about 20K miles on them. We pulled the tires off today and the rotors seem smooth. The rear pads are really worn down though, but not all the way gone and not scraping and just started squeaking yesterday. Someone told me to just try new pads and see what that does, but I think that will not stop the unevenness when braking - new pads may make it even worse, lol. If it does, I will get the rotors next week. We were going to go ahead and replace the pads today, but the dumb automaker thought they would make it to where you have to have a "torx head" tool to get the pads off! I had one from the last time, but couldn't find it.

I will check that Rock Auto, because the cheapest ones I have been able to find were like $34.99 each from Advance Auto or O'Reilly.

Thanks again!

*Do you know what is funny... I have never had to replace the brakes on my '73 Pontiac and I drove it for like 7 years until gas went so high, I stopped driving it in 2010.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I used to be able to tell, but it is like I have drawn a blank, lol. Correct me if I am wrong. I am getting a shaky car (vibration) when braking down from highway speeds. I KNOW that I have some brake rotors that are out of round. I do not have any shaking in my steering wheel (no side to side shaking) when it does this, so if I remember correctly, this probably means my rear brakes are the culprit? My car has 4-wheel disc brakes (it is a '95 Lincoln Town Car). Is there any way to tell my looking? I guess if the pads are worn, that would be another signal?

As expensive as rotors are, I just don't want to replace wrong ones and still have a shake. Even the cheapest rotors are like $40.00 each. Years ago, I remember having them "resurfaced", but not sure if they do that anymore or not.

Thanks!
It's almost certainly your front brakes.

Each vehicle has a minimum thickness required for their rotors. You have to know the specs, and run a caliper/micrometer on them. Or you can take them to the auto parts store to have them measured. In my neck of the woods, turning a rotor generally costs $10-$15, and buying a new rotor costs $25-$35.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 91,723 times
From my experience, resurfacing does not make any sence - my mechanic charges $35 for resurfacing and new rotor costs exactly the same money, but it's new
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive