Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 PM

532 posts, read 959,083 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new car, I have my placard from the old car, but what do I need to do to make sure it is valid?

I have googled and googled and still can't find an answer.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 02:14 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Shouldn't matter.. Those placards can be moved from car to car As long as the date on the placard is valid.. The placard is valid. Just make sure you have that little price of paper that you rec'd from the DMV ( stating that you are the legal placard holder). There shouldn't be an issue. It's you that's tied to the placard ( not the car). I went through this issue with an elderly neighbor so I checked into it for her.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
In most States, handicapped placards come from the Motor Vehicle Dept. I'd start there.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
We always take ours when we fly someplace and then rent a car.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
In most States, handicapped placards come from the Motor Vehicle Dept. I'd start there.
I tried, couldn't find anything.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Shouldn't matter.. Those placards can be moved from car to car As long as the date on the placard is valid.. The placard is valid. Just make sure you have that little price of paper that you rec'd from the DMV ( stating that you are the legal placard holder). There shouldn't be an issue. It's you that's tied to the placard ( not the car). I went through this issue with an elderly neighbor so I checked into it for her.
What if I don't have the piece of paper? I've had my placard for a year or so, so not sure about the paper but I will check. I thought the placard records noted make & model of the car, that way if you loan it to someone and they are caught there is a fine.

Thanks for the information!!

Old 04-22-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
What if I don't have the piece of paper? I've had my placard for a year or so, so not sure about the paper but I will check. I thought the placard records noted make & model of the car, that way if you loan it to someone and they are caught there is a fine.

Thanks for the information!!
Well.... You could always go to AAA or the DMV and get a replacement piece of paper. My point was that You don't need to get a new placard just because you changed cars. You could also get handicapped plates for your car and use the placard ( you can have both) when traveling in other people's cars.
And again... It's not tied to the car, it's tied to the person that it was issued to.
As far as the paper goes... If you are challenged and cannot produce it.. Odds are they'll ticket you. It would much easier to just get a replacement and not have to worry about it.
I seriously doubt you'd be challenged to begin with, but better safe than sorry.... Just sayin.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:43 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
I tried, couldn't find anything.
So, you called the DMV and they just shrugged their shoulders?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
So, you called the DMV and they just shrugged their shoulders?
I wouldn't put it past the DMV to do exactly that... Or have a recording that says " due to the high volume of callers your wait time is approximately 3 years and 7 minutes for the next available rep". " Your business is important to us... Please stay on the line".

Old 04-22-2016, 03:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
The placard is issued for the person, not the car. We have a H/C plate on our car, plus a placard for travel in someone else's car. We have used it in a rental car, and someone else's car in Canada. Some folks in some retirement communities use them on street legal golf carts.

The problem with placards is that you have to remember to hang it on the mirror. There are some crappy towns that will fine you if you forget it, even if you show it to the judge afterward. You can't forget a plate that is bolted on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive