Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:55 AM

6,722 posts, read 5,969,252 times

Advertisements

I think it's reasonable to ask for the repair and maintenance history from the past, say, 18 months. The seller should be able to answer:

- when were the brakes last done? (show me the paperwork)
- regular oil changes? (paperwork needed)
- any tranny issues or repairs?
- head gasket work or similar?
- passed the last inspection?
- anything else wrong with it that they know of? Make them put it in writing (they may lie, but it also puts them on notice that you'll be coming for them if they do lie about something major)

Other than that, I guess you need to go with your gut. Any used car you buy with more than 20K or 30K on it is going to need something. Just factor that into your buying decision. Budget about $1500 for whatever pops up in the first year after you buy it -- timing belt, brake job, bad strut, other stuff that's not noticeable.

Or get it inspected and then make an educated decision, but you know every car has something.

I bought a ten-year-old Corolla out in the Arizona desert; I figured, no rust, and it's a Toyota, so what could go wrong? Answer: everything. I ended up replacing the motor, boots, all sorts of rubber gaskets that had gone brittle in the desert heat, brakes, radiator, power steering mechanism, you-name-it. I must have put $11K into that stupid car. Now it just drives, and I keep asking myself -- I REALLY want a better car, but I feel like I have to drive this one into the ground to justify my moronic decision to buy it without getting it fully inspected.... So caveat emptor, and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,923,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Why do people buy used? It isn't because they enjoy older models that other people have already used. They do it to save money. Nothing for free though because it normally requires more of your time. It would certainly be easier to go to a dealer and buy a new car.
some people also buy used cars because there is nothing they want new anymore. for instance i buy used because ford does not make a fairmont anymore, and i prefer rear wheel drive.

Quote:
My advice is to find a friend with knowledge of cars to help you. And listen to your gut. You already knew this car wasn't what you wanted when you puled in the driveway.
good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can't avoid paying money or spending time looking at a purchase. If you want the vehicle you either accept the needed repairs and take the vehicle or you back out as you did. Very few used vehicles are perfect in every way at a used car that needs work price point. It sounds like you want perfection for bottom dollar. Just not gonna happen. You're buying a used car. If you're unwilling to buy something that needs work keep searching for that immaculate ride. Just expect to pay a immaculate price. Very few people (in fact none) are going to spend the time detailing a car, making sure everything works, fix it if it first then sell it for a thousand dollars less.
well said. when buying used, and even when buying new on occasion, vehicles will always need something, its the nature of the beast. that something might be cheap and easy, or expensive and difficult, or a combination of both.

sometimes the things they need can be put off, sometimes not. for instance minor rust in the body work can be left alone as long as it is not affecting the safety of the vehicle, but brakes need to be done asap if they require work.

so spend a small amount of money now to avoid spending large sums later. so that $1600 worth needed repairs instead of being a surprise to you, you would already have known about them and could plan for them.

as for the seller cutting you off and deciding not to sell the vehicle to you, i have to wonder about the post inspection conversation you two had, and the tone of that conversation. did you make a huge fuss about this vehicle not being perfect as you anticipated? i would say probably so.

perhaps had you been positive about the vehicle after the inspection, and offered up a few concerns about the inspection, perhaps the seller would have been even more accommodating and dropped the price a bit, making the vehicle more palatable to you.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:54 AM

105 posts, read 225,826 times
I am curious what kind of repairs the shop listed? Seem like some places will recommend certain action as certain mileage or age.

I had my car's timing belt replaced at the dealer and a few months later an oil change at another place. That place recommended I get the belt changed due to the high mileage. I told them I had it changed recently but they insisted it need to be replaced. I asked them if the dealer was committing fraud then? That ended the discussion.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:28 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,657,521 times
We bought a used SUV. When I looked at it I knew the airbag light was on. And the tires were at about 15%. But the tires were even wear which was more important. The guy had 30/60/90 service from dealer and some warranty repair work. Original owners. Car was immaculate inside and out. Not even one fluid leak. Owner just did brakes and major service.
Threw a set of tires on it, reset the airbag light and bought a new battery ordered spare key fobs and had one extra key made. Had the car for a year. One recall that was performed at the dealer and one oil change. The car has been great no issues.
I can sell it for about what I got into it.
All told I got about 11k in it. To buy brand new I would be looking at 65k plus tax plus license.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,110,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingin View Post
This nine year old SUV, with 118,000 miles was being sold by the original owner, paid off with clear title, and was located in a very affluent suburb.
Quote:
When he got finished typing everything into his computer, he presented me with copies of the inspection itemizing numerous repairs, ranging from $50-200, and totaling out to over $1600. How could a car that was regularly serviced according to the maintenance schedule need this much work? The guy at the shop acted like this was not a big deal for a car of this age.
$1600 really isn't a lot for a car that age. You didn't mention what specifically needed to be done, but toss in a brake job, new shocks and a general tune up at the dealership, and repairs start adding up real fast. If you listed the repairs the SUV needed, many of us could get a better idea of whether you were being taken for a ride or not.

Quote:
So now I'm out $120 for the cost of an inspection, plus all of my wasted time and effort. What, if anything, could I have done to avoid this outcome?
This is a classic example why I only purchase new cars. Buying a used car is simply buying someone else's problems.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:57 PM

9,445 posts, read 6,601,788 times
A 9 yo vehicle with 118,000 miles on it that has been left out for several years. You will have to increase your budget or decrease your expectations, plain and simple.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,413,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
A 9 yo vehicle with 118,000 miles on it that has been left out for several years. You will have to increase your budget or decrease your expectations, plain and simple.
Agreed- this sounds like an expectations problem on behalf of the OP. That seller sounded like a great person to deal with. I would have certainly bought that car if I were in the market for that particular set of circumstances.

A car with over 100k on the clock is going to need timing belt (>$1000), tires (>$500), brakes (>$200-500, depending), possibly shocks (hundreds), maybe serpentine belt (another hundred). It's great if some of those items aren't needed, but you can't whine about it if they are needed.

And complaining about fogged headlights on a 9 year old car?! Not only is it an easy fix in about an hour with a little elbow grease and drill, but it's totally to be expected on a car of that age. And complaining about dirt in the door sills of a car with 118k miles?! Jeez, get over yourself.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,408,488 times
You could have avoided your fiasco by searching dealerships.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:11 AM

423 posts, read 612,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingin View Post
Now, this is the part that really bothers me. Later that day I called the seller and told her that I was surprised by the cost of repairs recommended on the inspection. As I was reading the report to her, she interrupts and says she would rather sell her car to a family member, than lower the price for me. Up until this point I had not even made any attempt to negotiate a price with her. I felt like I had presented myself as a serious buyer, thought I had asked all the right questions and took all the correct steps. I did think that an inspection report could help me negotiate a better price---but she never gave me that chance. As so many ads will say "serious buyers only" ---what about SERIOUS SELLERS???

So now I'm out $120 for the cost of an inspection, plus all of my wasted time and effort. What, if anything, could I have done to avoid this outcome? I really thought I found a car being sold under all of the right circumstances. Any ideas?
OP: put yourself in sellers shoes. Seller has being more than accomodating. Then you proceed to read off a list of issues on her car. The seller doesn't want to hear issues. And seller most likely is not a mechanic and does not even know what are the repairs you are stating.

If you are interested, just state your offer price and mention that inspection found $1600 worth of repair. Then the seller can say yes or no or come back with a different offer. Simple.

By the way, you didn't state what are the $1600 worth of repairs. Instead of just a number, did you research whether the repairs are reasonable or not.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:14 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,272,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
... I paid .01% of the total purchase price on the inspections....
I think you meant 1%, although $240 would be about 1.7% of $14,500. $240 would be .01% of $24 million! I figure you didn't pay that much for it.

OP, can you find a lower mileage SUV in your price range? Maybe a couple years older? With 100K+ miles on any vehicle you should expect high maintenance/repair costs. Just yesterday I just purchased a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero with 50K on it for $3,500. That *should* outlast the 2007 with 118K on it for a whole lot less than $10,000. Put the word out that you're in the market for a clean, low mileage SUV and you just might find one. The Mitsu I bought was owned by a friend of my wife's. She hadn't advertised it yet, just mentioned to my wife that she was going to sell it. That's where you'll find the best cars -- from word of mouth and from being ready to buy when you find right vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive