Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 12:07 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,376,278 times

Advertisements

I was driving in a residential area, waiting to turn left into a neighborhood off of a main road. There was a crossing guard who signaled me to stop for people crossing and then waved me on when they were done.
As I was turning, I notice another car coming right at me, slowly. I could not see them until I made the turn.

The school across the street was letting out so there were cars parked on BOTH sides of the street waiting to pick the kids up, which meant that only one car could fit at a time.
I ended up backing up, back to the main road, checking to see if it was clear first so they could go.

Who had the right of way here? In retrospect, even though I checked to make sure it was clear, it was more dangerous for me to back up into a main road than it would have been for them to back up in their street.

Also, with cars parked on both sides of the street, I did not have the line of sight to see the other car. Should the crossing guard have noticed that when he waved me on or is his only concern for the pedestrians crossing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 12:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,304,510 times
You were turning, the other car had the rightof way.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,293,430 times
I've always assumed that school crossing guards were only there to stop traffic for children crossing the street, not to direct traffic per se. I don't think they have that authority, do they? If my assumption is correct, the other car had the right of way.

Sounds like a dangerous situation, maybe one that needs to be addressed with a no parking or no left turn sign -- or a real traffic cop -- before there's a serious wreck that involves kids. This may be your chance to save some young lives!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 PM

15,468 posts, read 25,917,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I've always assumed that school crossing guards were only there to stop traffic for children crossing the street, not to direct traffic per se. I don't think they have that authority, do they? If my assumption is correct, the other car had the right of way.

Sounds like a dangerous situation, maybe one that needs to be addressed with a no parking or no left turn sign -- or a real traffic cop -- before there's a serious wreck that involves kids. This may be your chance to save some young lives!
I think that's generally correct. The guard does not direct traffic. Instead they merely signal that you may resume, according to the rules of the road.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:55 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,539,901 times
I don't believe crossing guards are supposed to "direct" traffic and could probably open themselves to a lawsuit if someone had an accident. I gets tough around schools but aren't there limits to how close a car can park by the intersection? also can they park on both sides of the street in that area?

Old 05-16-2016, 01:16 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,891,205 times
Sounds like this side street needs some NO PARKING signs for about 50' from the main street so there is room for two cars in a situation like this. And a police officer to enforce it. We have a school officer and a constable that are often at the school in the AM and PM to help with issues like this.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:24 PM

21,987 posts, read 25,343,578 times
They did. Right of way on a one-lane road in that situation goes to the person that was on the road first.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,199,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I don't believe crossing guards are supposed to "direct" traffic
Correct.

Adult crossing guards shall not direct traffic in the usual law enforcement regulatory sense.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,700,602 times
In making a left turn oncoming traffic always has the right of way unless you had a green arrow.

I trust NO ONE (including police) to direct me without first determining the intersection is clear for myself. Police have the authority to do direct traffic ofcourse but even that doesn't guarantee that other drivers are paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive