Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times

Advertisements

I had an S2000. People liked to steal the seats out of the S2000. Unless you were going to take your seats with you, you're leaving even at chop shop value at least $1,000 of desirable goods in the car. The soft top isn't going to stop anyone from stealing your seats. Far more effective are seat locks but then they've already cut your top and maybe they're annoyed and just slash your seats for fun. Maybe if you leave the top down and they don't. Who knows. Either way a soft top is not going to stop anyone from getting in your car. It might stop someone from reaching in and taking your gym bag but nothing more than that. Easier to cut the top than break the window. I'd often leave the top down for weeks at a time. At home it was in a garage, at work it was in a garage. Running into the store, gym, lunch, I'd often leave it down where it was more publicly accessible I'd often leave it down if I wasn't going to be away more than an hour or so and put it up otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The parking away from a store thread made me think of this and I have wondered about it. Especially if its a rare or expensive, or new car I'd be real worried about that.
I'm talking about leaving the car while your in a store or maybe someplace where your gone a couple of hours.
Never. I always put my top up. Too many crazy people in the world to leave it down.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:06 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Considering locking a convertible or any "open" vehicle is like "Locking A Paper Bag" . . . under most conditions, I usually leave my Top / Windows down.

Also, I never lock either the Glove Compartment or the Center Console primarily because if a Thug wants in, he (or she) will cause more financial damage to the vehicle than the value of anything that may be inside.

Bottom line . . . NEVER leave anything of value, including Registration / Insurance Documents, in any vehicle at any time.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 PM

6,572 posts, read 4,964,901 times
I drove a topless Jeep for a summer with no issues. Even had bike shoes and helmet in there most of the time, though if I had a gear bag, that went inside with me and the bike was locked the the roll cage.

Depending on which town I'm in, I normally leave my car unlocked/windows open. There's nothing in it of value and I'd be pretty upset to have to replace a window.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:52 PM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
My 65 cobra replica doesn't have a top so when I'm going shopping or anywhere were the car will be left unattended for anytime it stays home. There are a lot of idiots out there so one needs to be careful.
We also have a Jeep with a softtop but the thing is to never leave anything of value in clear site and that goes for our regular vehicles too.

It is too easy for someone to reach in, cut a top or break a window and most people don't care if they hear a car alarm go off so it is in your own best interest not to leave anything of value in plain view.

The funny thing is when I drive my cobra to the office it sits out there all day but when I drive my truck I lock it or else I feel funny about it.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,591,848 times
I have an Mercedes SLK I like to tool around in. It's older now, but still fun. I used tell my wife she could buy anything she wanted as long as it fit in the trunk with the top down....then those jerks at Chanel had to go and ruin that fun.

Anyway, I'll often put the top up because the sun will heat up the leather, or if there was overhead places a bird might poop, or a lot of sidewalk walkers. They only time I got an envy hit was on a trip to San Francisco, and some douche kicked in the entire door on the sidewalk side. A couple of hot days later the door amazingly popped back into place.

So I started to call my car Christine.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
If i was running into a store for a few minutes i'd leave the top down, for a few hours i;d put it up so if it rains the interior doesnt get soaked.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
I generally stay close enough to see my MG-B if the top is down. A tonneau cover or a shorty car cover that covers just the windshield and interior are both useful for keeping trash out and poking hands as well.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 PM

772 posts, read 933,076 times
Depends where I am. At a classy venue, I don't mind leaving the top down, my car would be just one of many nice cars. But in places where my car would stand out, or seem pretentious to someone, I'll close it. I've had people spit on the seats before, or throw their trash into it before, so it's just a judgment call depending on where I am.

I used to have a brownstone in Chicago, where I had a garage space and one covered space, in a courtyard type parking lot. I kept the top down all the time when there was good weather... Until my neighbors got a cat and let it roam. Damn thing was always on top of cars and used the armrest of my Jaguar as a scratching post.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
a guy at work drives his cobra replica to work and parks it well away from everyone else.

When my wife worked at BMW all the soft top people always left the top down so the sun wouldn't damage the roof fabric.

I was always partial to the hard top convertibles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive