Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,646,239 times

Advertisements

5 pages in and I still check every few hours to see if the OP will come back and say why they would even consider buying the car back.

Buy it back and... do what with it, exactly? What would they do with it now? Sell it again to someone else for less money? I can't think of a single reason anyone would even consider doing something like this. I'm sure the OP is a very nice person who just wants to do what they think is the right thing, but what this amounts to is simply taking money out of your pocket and just giving it away to total strangers for no reason at all. The buyer says that the car won't start, but obviously that wasn't a problem at the time they bought the car, or they wouldn't have been able to drive it out of the OP's yard.

Just very puzzling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,411,740 times
put gas in it

Old 05-20-2016, 08:00 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,056,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
5 pages in and I still check every few hours to see if the OP will come back and say why they would even consider buying the car back.

Buy it back and... do what with it, exactly? What would they do with it now? Sell it again to someone else for less money? I can't think of a single reason anyone would even consider doing something like this. I'm sure the OP is a very nice person who just wants to do what they think is the right thing, but what this amounts to is simply taking money out of your pocket and just giving it away to total strangers for no reason at all. The buyer says that the car won't start, but obviously that wasn't a problem at the time they bought the car, or they wouldn't have been able to drive it out of the OP's yard.

Just very puzzling...
+1

It all ain't adding up.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,536,243 times
What happened to the OP? and did he take the car back?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:15 PM

597 posts, read 669,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
You would have to buy the car back, and incur the DMV fees again to transfer title back to yourself.

You should feel no obligation at all to buy the car back. The new owner needs to get fixed whatever has gone bad since they bought it.
Agree, you should feel no obligation, but if you're THAT good of a guy, have the person you sold it to pay the fees for you buying it back. It's really not that unreasonable. They can either be out $3000 or just the amount of the fees.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:44 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
What happened to the OP? and did he take the car back?
Great question, Blue Biker.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:55 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,646,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Agree, you should feel no obligation, but if you're THAT good of a guy, have the person you sold it to pay the fees for you buying it back. It's really not that unreasonable. They can either be out $3000 or just the amount of the fees.
From the seller's point of view, it's completely unreasonable - in fact, it's beyond unreasonable. It's just insane.

He sold a car that worked properly, and now he would be buying back a car that he knows does not run - and he's paying the same price as it cost when it did work properly. That just makes no sense at all on any level. He might as well have just thrown a match into the gas tank at the start of the whole thing, instead of selling it at all.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 AM

459 posts, read 621,848 times
I sold a high mileage Saab 9-5 wagon to a kid for his first car. I had done ALL the typical maintenance jobs these cars need and it ran great, it was actually a super nice car wish I kept it with hindsight.
Less than a week later I had a very angry father on the phone "listen to it" he yelled as he held the phone to the engine bay.
Poor thing sounded like a bag of smashed glass and nails as the offending son revved the $hit out of it to prove it's ailment.
I told them sold as seen and approved (and signed as such) and sorry I could not help.
He threatened me and that was the last I heard, I hope the son got a beating from the nasty old git.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,139,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Once you give money to the DMV, you will never see it again.
I don't know if that is necessarily the case. I know this happened with me on a sale of a commercial truck. I know they were able to get the cost of the tag back and they might of got the sales tax back. There were some fees they had to pay. I know it didn't cost me anything and wasn't going to under any circumstances, they reissued the title to me.

For future reference when ever selling a used vehicle be perfectly clear if the tires fall off while they are driving away it's not your responsibility. I'm the type of guy with soft heart and would probably be in the same boat as the OP. I'm up front with people with what issues I'm aware of, my conscience is clear by making it perfectly clear to them I don't want to hear anything about any issues after they buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive