Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 06:46 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just about all modern vehicles now come with stability control, including that one, so it's not possible to roll it on a curve unless you turn that feature off.
100% totally, unequivocally false.

While I'm a big fan of electronic driver's aides (ABS, stability control, torque vectoring, etc.) is it precisely this type of thinking that frightens me.

Regarding the original topic, basic physics supports the OP's position. In general, vehicles with high COGs are simply more likely to roll over than cars with a low COG. Any of you who disagree are welcome to follow me in your truck through a corner. I can guarantee you that I can go fast enough in my car that your truck will either slide off the road or roll over if you try to maintain my speed. There's a reason that most race tracks do not allow trucks/SUVs to participate in HPDEs.

The lack of awareness of the inferior handling capabilities of trucks/SUVs displayed in this thread is terrifying. Fortunately, most modern trucks/SUVs handle well enough that it's not a problem under normal driving conditions. Emergency maneuvers/accident avoidance are still a bit sketchy, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:30 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
100% totally, unequivocally false.

While I'm a big fan of electronic driver's aides (ABS, stability control, torque vectoring, etc.) is it precisely this type of thinking that frightens me.

Regarding the original topic, basic physics supports the OP's position. In general, vehicles with high COGs are simply more likely to roll over than cars with a low COG. Any of you who disagree are welcome to follow me in your truck through a corner. I can guarantee you that I can go fast enough in my car that your truck will either slide off the road or roll over if you try to maintain my speed. There's a reason that most race tracks do not allow trucks/SUVs to participate in HPDEs.

The lack of awareness of the inferior handling capabilities of trucks/SUVs displayed in this thread is terrifying. Fortunately, most modern trucks/SUVs handle well enough that it's not a problem under normal driving conditions. Emergency maneuvers/accident avoidance are still a bit sketchy, though.

While they may be more likely to roll over, the FACT is that the difference in rates between trucks/SUVs and cars in rollover accidents is VERY tiny. Twice as many cars roll over annually as do SUVs and trucks, and the RATE difference is less than .1% at this point. Hell, the total number of rollovers that occur annually is in the 1% of accidents range, MOST of which are tripping events (i.e. the vehicle leaves the pavement and hits soft dirt sideways, or hits a curb or low solid object sideways).

And I'll take your challenge with my Suburban. I'd have done even better against you with my old Range Rover. But then again, I've been road racing and autocrossing for over 30 years, so I might have a slight driving skill advantage...

Old 05-21-2016, 01:17 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
While they may be more likely to roll over, the FACT is that the difference in rates between trucks/SUVs and cars in rollover accidents is VERY tiny. Twice as many cars roll over annually as do SUVs and trucks, and the RATE difference is less than .1% at this point. Hell, the total number of rollovers that occur annually is in the 1% of accidents range, MOST of which are tripping events (i.e. the vehicle leaves the pavement and hits soft dirt sideways, or hits a curb or low solid object sideways).

And I'll take your challenge with my Suburban. I'd have done even better against you with my old Range Rover. But then again, I've been road racing and autocrossing for over 30 years, so I might have a slight driving skill advantage...
I'm trying to envision the circumstances under which a Suburban is going to hang with a CTS-V shod with super sticky 285/35-19 Bridgestone RE-71s on all four corners. You have substantially more pavement racing experience than I (a few track days and driving schools), but the handling gap between my car and almost any SUV/truck is so large that your additional experience isn't going to help much. You can't defy the laws of physicals. Had you accepted my challenge and showed up in an X5M or even a GC SRT-8, I would concede that your driving skills would overcome any performance disadvantage. But a Suburban? Not gonna happen. And yes, I know your response was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but there are probably people posting on this thread who honestly believe that trucks/SUVs are as safe as cars when it comes to active safety (accident avoidance).

In any case, your point about the rollover rate difference between cars and trucks being almost negligible is well taken. However, I stand by my point that trucks/SUVs handle much worse than most cars and will find themselves in trouble far sooner, especially in emergency maneuvers. Most truck/SUV drivers seem to - whether consciously or not - adjust for their vehicle's inferior handling by driving slower (as evidenced by the number of these tanks poking around turns at a walking pace).

And one poster claiming that it's impossible to roll a modern truck due stability control is just plain dangerous thinking.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 PM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I wish someone could explain why so many ppl driving cars almost come to a complete stop prior to making a right turn.
I've noticed that. The age of the whipped right turn is over - if you have a clear right turn (wide enough street, no obstacles), a right turn shouldn't require slowing that much at all. Maybe it's overall larger vehicle sizes, or more traffic, more obstacles. It's not necessarily a bad thing that less people are whipping around corners as there could always be an unexpected pedestrian, cyclist, etc. Then, again, there could be a happy medium - not reckless, but not a near stop.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,362 times
most trucks aren't like 20 feet tall and 3 feet wide. you really have to try and roll them over. Though whenever I see someone roll a regular car they are pretty talented.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'm trying to envision the circumstances under which a Suburban is going to hang with a CTS-V shod with super sticky 285/35-19 Bridgestone RE-71s on all four corners. You have substantially more pavement racing experience than I (a few track days and driving schools), but the handling gap between my car and almost any SUV/truck is so large that your additional experience isn't going to help much. You can't defy the laws of physicals. Had you accepted my challenge and showed up in an X5M or even a GC SRT-8, I would concede that your driving skills would overcome any performance disadvantage. But a Suburban? Not gonna happen. And yes, I know your response was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but there are probably people posting on this thread who honestly believe that trucks/SUVs are as safe as cars when it comes to active safety (accident avoidance).

In any case, your point about the rollover rate difference between cars and trucks being almost negligible is well taken. However, I stand by my point that trucks/SUVs handle much worse than most cars and will find themselves in trouble far sooner, especially in emergency maneuvers. Most truck/SUV drivers seem to - whether consciously or not - adjust for their vehicle's inferior handling by driving slower (as evidenced by the number of these tanks poking around turns at a walking pace).

And one poster claiming that it's impossible to roll a modern truck due stability control is just plain dangerous thinking.

Can you roll a truck or suv? Yep. My Ram has no stability control (it does have traction control if that is what is being referenced, but it does no good really) and it's a 2012. Even the 2016 doesn't have it. But... as you mentioned most who drive them have learned their limits. I won't say my truck handles "much worse" than most cars though. It just handles differently and my driving style is adjusted to account for the difference in handling. As far as emergency maneuvers... since I know I'm driving a large tank I am always prepared for emergency maneuvers (unfortunately had to pull one last week) and have had little issue with them. It's all in the preparation and understanding of how to control what you are driving.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:00 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Just know your vehicle's limits and respect the laws of physics and you'll be fine no matter what you are driving.

Keep in mind, you could even roll a 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z-06 if you tried hard enough.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Just know your vehicle's limits and respect the laws of physics and you'll be fine no matter what you are driving.

Keep in mind, you could even roll a 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z-06 if you tried hard enough.
No doubt:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive