Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 AM

24,323 posts, read 13,179,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
One reason you see many more 3's than 6's on the road is that at least as of 2014 the 3 has almost every amenity of the 6, at least to the casual car buyer. The 3 also has a manual transmission. I think the 6 either does not have it, or has it but only if you buy a package of other stuff.

Basically, the 3 is eating into the 6's market.

Somewhat, unless comparably equipped. The 6 has a much larger interior but doesn't give up much in the way of economy. I almost bought a 3 a month ago, but it was hard to justify the expense of a Mazda 3 Grand Touring in order to get the 2.5 engine. A Mazda 6 Touring has identical appointments, at the same price. (I like the 3 better but it's my wife's car...)

I drove a Mazda 6 with a 6-speed manual before getting the automatic. The basic 6 (Sport) had the manual as the standard tranny. Smooth, reminded me of the Mazda MX-6 I drove 15 years ago.

We ended up with a Reflex Blue Mazda 6 and am very pleased with it. The title of this thread is "best looking family sedan", and I heartily agree. I rented a Camry shortly before, and while the Camry has made big strides in shifting away from totally boring, and its interior is first-rate, it's still a Camry. Pedestrian, reliable, unexciting.

I am puzzled by the Accord. I saw perhaps 100-150 in a lot in OKC. There are 8 colors you can get an Accord in. Two shades of red, one blue, and everything else is gray/silver, black or white. However, what's being delivered to the dealers is three shades of gray/silver. I know there are reds and blues out there, but it's reminiscent of the old Model T, you can have any color Honda as long as it's gray. (In order to get red/maroon, you have to order the CVT.) The manual coupe would be my personal choice if the boss wasn't driving the 4-door requirement, but again, to get more styling choices you need to opt for that CVT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 12:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I am puzzled by the Accord. I saw perhaps 100-150 in a lot in OKC. There are 8 colors you can get an Accord in. Two shades of red, one blue, and everything else is gray/silver, black or white. However, what's being delivered to the dealers is three shades of gray/silver. I know there are reds and blues out there, but it's reminiscent of the old Model T, you can have any color Honda as long as it's gray. (In order to get red/maroon, you have to order the CVT.) The manual coupe would be my personal choice if the boss wasn't driving the 4-door requirement, but again, to get more styling choices you need to opt for that CVT.
This is not just an Accord thing. Greys and other muted colors are really big right now -- some cars offer a number of different shades of grey, and many offer two different whites.

For an example, the Dodge Durango offers 11 colors -- three greys, two whites, two reds, two browns, one black, and one dark blue. It's quite a monochromatic color palette, by historical standards, and has only ONE bright color of any kind, one of the reds. But again, on a dealer lot, good luck finding the browns or the blue without doing some driving ... you're going to see mostly black, white and greys, with a few reds here and there. It's just what consumers want these days, I guess.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,308,967 times
I know people lament why cars only come in white or, black but fact of the matter is most cars look great in white or black. It's not just the color though. Trim pieces and their colors can break up the paint and create attractive contrasts. Chrome on black really go well together.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:40 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,153,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It's amazing how many of us, myself included, are driven by the badge we sit behind. Cars are so good today that the difference, other than the brand, between a $25000 and a $45000 car in no way justifies the difference.
You are so right, but there are others like myself who seek the best bang for the buck in the segment they want. I went from a F-150 (me) and a honda accord (her) to a brand new Ram (me) and CX-9 (her) back in 2011. Like both vehicles a lot, but that won't stop me from looking at every model in the segment I seek when it comes time to buy again. I wasn't even considering the Ram until I saw the pricing and then took a test drive. I was sold immediately.

My best friend will only buy Chevy (Silverado & Tahoe at present). He won't even look at or test drive another brand no matter how many parts & sensors he has to buy for those damn chevy's. Makes no sense to me, but he says the brand 'fits' him.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:53 PM

24,323 posts, read 13,179,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
... Greys and other muted colors are really big right now -- some cars offer a number of different shades of grey, and many offer two different whites. ...you're going to see mostly black, white and greys, with a few reds here and there. It's just what consumers want these days, I guess.

Sadly. Yes, Kia has some imaginative colors, nothing like the late 60s/early 70s (plum crazy, anti-establish-mint) although that green color for the Kia Soul reminds me of something that comes out the north end of a southbound goose. But as long as the car-buying public is content with something that looks like everything else in the WalMart parking lot, and as long as it has an ever-expanding list of electronic goodies inside (whatever happened to DRIVING?) to entertain them, we're stuck with bland homogenized everycars.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:58 PM

772 posts, read 940,327 times
I guess it's a sign of the times where this many people are discussing a Mazda 6 as the best looking family sedan, without regard to budget.

Any German sedan, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, even domestic makers like Cadillac and Tesla are making better looking sedans than Mazda, inside and out.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:04 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,153,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
I guess it's a sign of the times where this many people are discussing a Mazda 6 as the best looking family sedan, without regard to budget.

Any German sedan, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, even domestic makers like Cadillac and Tesla are making better looking sedans than Mazda, inside and out.
Pretty sure budget was implied. The OP was comparing a Camry to the 6.
Budget is a factor for the vast majority of all people.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:09 PM

597 posts, read 668,882 times
I really do like the 6. Something about it. IMO, it is the best looking of the non-luxury flagship full-sized sedans (though it has plenty of luxury sedans beat too, IMO).

Maybe 15 years ago, my mom leased a Mazda Millenia for 2 years. Is the 6 a descendant of the Millenia? I loved the Millenia (back when it had a 6 CD changer in the trunk, lol.)

Anyway, I agree, great looking car. Before I got my 188k mile Accord's AC fixed for much lower than the initial $1300 quote), I was considering getting a new car this summer, and if I went the sedan route, instead of compact SUV, the 6 would have been one of the front runners. It probably still will be next year.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:12 PM

772 posts, read 940,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Pretty sure budget was implied. The OP was comparing a Camry to the 6.
Budget is a factor for the vast majority of all people.
Yes, but to make a blanket statement that the "Mazda 6 is the best looking family sedan" in the title doesn't mention budget at all.

Either the OP is really limited in their automotive knowledge, their budget, or both.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,748,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Nah to me the new Impala's are one hot looking Sedan if i was going to buy one.
Too much like an older Camry with a wider grille and more air dams. Unoriginal but not bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive