Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I say just donate it then use it as a tax write off
A guy driving a 15 year old car in all probibility isn't going to benefit by donating his car for a tax write off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 12:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I own a 1999 Honda Accord that still reible.The problem is the raips keep coming up quite often and its not cheap.

My car is now due for an emission test and the check engine light was on so I went to get it checked and something had to be fixed which costed about 400 bucks .Then the light came back again 2 days later and took it back,now they did a diagonisis and it turns out I have leak in my gas tank and it's 7 hours labour which will cost 1200.uggh?should I just get rid of my car and start taking oc public transportation?
My son is a Honda Mechanic, he said he just checked and standard shop rate for draining, removing and replacing the tank is 3.5 hours. A new tank from Honda costs $446 but you can probably find one for less. He said check independent shops, or if you are in Sacramento he will fix it for far less than you were quoted. He also said that it's not really very likely that you even have a hole in the tank, a bad gas cap will give the same code.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:01 AM

242 posts, read 317,806 times
Many states offer assistance for low income drivers who cant afford to repair or retire a vehicle that cant pass emissions.

Also, get a OBDII scan tool. They are no longer a luxury to own like they were in the past. It will save you a lot of trouble. Some have emission status, ABS, transmission, & SRS features.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:52 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I own a 1999 Honda Accord that still reible.The problem is the raips keep coming up quite often and its not cheap.

My car is now due for an emission test and the check engine light was on so I went to get it checked and something had to be fixed which costed about 400 bucks .Then the light came back again 2 days later and took it back,now they did a diagonisis and it turns out I have leak in my gas tank and it's 7 hours labour which will cost 1200.uggh?should I just get rid of my car and start taking oc public transportation?
I would find a new mechanic first. Doesn't matter if you get a different car or not. Thats ridiculous.

I see several fuel tanks for that car that $150 or less even. with 3 to 4 hours labor you should be less than 600 to replace that fuel tank.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:36 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
You say your car is still reliable, but also indicate you are tired of it always being in the shop.

I never considered a car that is in constant need of repair to be "reliable."

So, if it is always in the shop, get rid of it. If it really is reliable and this is the odd repair... which a car at this age will need... then get a second opinion elsewhere to find a better quote on the repair job and get it fixed.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:46 AM

55 posts, read 63,019 times
where are you located? If it is good condition otherwise, I would consider buying it from you. Don't worry about emissions where I live and I can replace tank myself.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 AM

58 posts, read 57,880 times
I drive a 1994 Accord. 22 year old car. They are reliable cars but like anything man made, it will need repair from time to time. The best thing you could do is learn to do things yourself. I rarely use a mechanic. IF that is not an option for you, then become friends that are mechanics or find a good mechanic with better rates. If that is still too difficult, sell it and buy a 2003-2007 Accord. Those are good cars and a bit more roomy.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 130,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Honestly at 1200 bucks I would consider scrapping it. Can get a decent car for 5k.
lmao

decent and 5k, shouldn't even be in the same sentence

all 5k will get you is another beater civic/honda with high miles with crappy ass paint, no warranty whatsoever, and no guarantee that the car was maintained properly. You can TAKE it to a mechanic to check it out, it can still have problems in many areas, where the mechanic cannot look at. Even if he can look at them, they can still develop problems.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
What if you replace the gas tank and the check engine light comes back on in two days? Then you'll really kick yourself. Emission is the death knell of old cars. Nobody can figure out exactly what is causing the light to come on. Every old car I've had has succumbed to this ailment. They trace it to a vacuum leak but keep changing parts to find it, and that costs money. My 98 Explorer has the light on and I have lost track of how many things they have tried. No knock on you, but aren't we told Hondas last "forever?" If this was a Ford we wouldn't be hearing the end of horror stories about Fords.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:30 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
If you compare it to a new car payment, keeping an old "known" car is almost always the cheaper route to go. If it is safe, not prone to simply breaking-down, not terribly embarrassing to drive, and you can pass emissions - - I would keep it going. I agree that buying an unknown beater, as an alternative, makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive