Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Apparently this is a typical feature of most modern cars. You are driving along, it's hot, you are blasting the A/C, and you need to speed up to enter a freeway. When you step on the gas, the air coming out of the A/C vents turns from cold to warm. Does this happen to your car? If so, what make and model car?

I have a 2016 Mercedes GLC300 -- does not happen
2003 Honda Accord -- does not happen
Someone's full of crap. I drive a 2014 Durango Citadel with a Hemi. If my ac turned warm at any point while driving it, I would be at the dealership telling them to fix it. I've never had this happen and would consider it a defect. What's the point of ac if your vehicle can't handle that running and acceleration? I didn't buy the Fred Flintstone model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 06:17 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Exactly, I agree. Not an acceptable feature on any vehicle!

Old 07-19-2016, 06:58 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Someone's full of crap. I drive a 2014 Durango Citadel with a Hemi. If my ac turned warm at any point while driving it, I would be at the dealership telling them to fix it. I've never had this happen and would consider it a defect. What's the point of ac if your vehicle can't handle that running and acceleration? I didn't buy the Fred Flintstone model.
The Durango does have it and has had it for decades. You're just not noticing it.

Dakota Durango Forum

Old 07-19-2016, 07:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I guess it's been a long time since I've driven a car so underpowered I had to floor it to merge or pass.

Never noticed.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:12 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I guess it's been a long time since I've driven a car so underpowered I had to floor it to merge or pass.

Never noticed.
Another excellent point. If you don't have to floor it, you don't have to "lose your cool" anyway!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The Durango does have it and has had it for decades. You're just not noticing it.

Dakota Durango Forum
I would absolutely notice since I have the ac fan cranked up to 7 in the front seat and the temp set to 60 or low. I would definitely notice warm air blowing on me.

That link is dead. I also don't drive a regular Durango.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:17 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
You would need to floor it for a sustained period of time to get warm air.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:33 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Apparently this is a typical feature of most modern cars. You are driving along, it's hot, you are blasting the A/C, and you need to speed up to enter a freeway. When you step on the gas, the air coming out of the A/C vents turns from cold to warm. Does this happen to your car? If so, what make and model car?

Got an idea on that question:

The deflectors in the air distribution system (the vents) are vacuum operated. If the car has a vacuum leak, then when it is operated at wide open throttle the vacuum available to the vents disappears. And the vents default to the "Defroster"position.

It could be that the cold air that used to be coming out of the AC vents is now coming out of the defrost vent. And the driver misinterprets it and thinks they are blowing warm air.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:02 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:

Mine does this - it's a 2014 Kia Soul, so did the 2012 Soul and so did my 1991 Mirage. I just figured it was because of the smaller engine, those hamsters under the hood can't keep up with both accelerating and cooling at the same time.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
I live in Florida. If the engine is on, I never want the air coming out of the A/C to stop being ice cold. Period. It doesn't matter if I am sitting in a parking lot, flooring the gas pedal, going 25mph, going 100mph, what have you.

Since apparently this is a somewhat common defect (and yes, I consider this to be a DEFECT), I will pay extra attention to this when I shop for my next car. I am lucky my current car does not have this defect, or, if it DOES have this defect, it is not in any way noticeable.

I'm sure if my car did this in any noticeable way, I would have detected it during the several days I test drove the car and decided against the car.

My Kia Soul not only loses the cold air upon rapid acceleration but only gets noticeably warmer at traffic lights, mostly in the first 15 minutes of driving. I also live in Florida and when I'm dressed up I don't want the air to get warm at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive