Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 12:14 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

2014 Ford Fiesta, 50k miles on odo.

I saw the oil level appear to be almost 1/2 quart below "full" or so I thought, so I put about 3/4 of a quart in. I figured a little overfill wouldn't hurt anything. Checked it again and noticed the dipstick level is a bit uneven...the oil on the bottom of the stick is about 1mm thick and a thin layer extends further up the dipstick on one side. Am I reading it wrong? The main part at the bottom appears about 1/2 quart too much and there's some oil going further up. Am I at risk for engine damage? I checked this morning after driving about 1-1.5 miles and then shutting the engine off and looking. I saw two small froth bubbles on the dipstick but no "real" foam.

Do I need to drain oil out to avoid ruining my engine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I'd probably pull the filter, drain it, and then reinstall it. That might take out 1/4 of a quart depending on how big the filter is. This is the method I use if I don't want to just drain all the oil and refill..such as with synthetic oil that I just put in.

I'd let the car sit an hour or so and then check the level. Pull the dipstick, clean it, and insert it halfway down so it doesn't go into the oil. Hour later, come back, wipe (to to ensure it's clean), then insert and read. If it seems high, drain the filter and then repeat after starting the engine and letting it sit.

As to if the amount of oil is too much...really depends on the arcitechture of the engine. Some position the crank very high,and an extra 1/2 quart is no big deal, others have it fairly low and just a bit over will have the crank slapping the oil level. I don't know enough about that particular engine to venture a guess

Last edited by BostonMike7; 02-27-2017 at 01:17 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
If you added .75 qts to a .5 qt low engine, you have a .25 qt overfill, which, IMO, is no biggie. Dealerships usually overfill by that much anyway as a safety margin.

Make sure you're checking on level ground. Some dipstick designs suck so you need to check both sides and do multiple pulls for an accurate reading

Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
DID you check the oil with the car running? If so, that woudl explain the dipstick condition. Turn it off on level ground let it cool and check it several times. An LED Flashlight can help to see where ti really is if the oil is very clean. Wipe the dipstick off before checking it. Don't just pull it out and look at it.

If you still cannot be certain, lay a piece of paper towel on the ground, pull the dipstick and lay it on the paper towel and lift it immediately back off, Then lay the dipstick next to the splotch. It will be a little off from wicking, but not much.

I have seen some cars massively overfilled, the worst thing that ever happened was some oil spewed out the filler tube of the PCV valve or elsewhere and got on the engine and burned up making a big stink and a risk of fire (but no fire happened).

I prefer to just loosen the oil drain plug and let a little run out into a catch pan than to take the filter off. I would never re-install a filter once the seal has been made and then broken, unless it was on the engine only a very short time. It is too easy to get a bad seal at the filter, and for $13 or so dollars (whatever a filter costs these days) it is not worth risking your engine.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:48 PM

572 posts, read 435,684 times
Check the oil with the engine off, level surface, preferrably first thing in the morning... when it's all in the pan... and not all over the inside of the engine, including up in the head..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive