Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:33 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

Plugs would probably work and that's all there used to be, but I would go for the internal patch as it seals a bigger area and is less likely to leak or fail down the road.

Definitely ask the dealer for documentation on the taxes. It's probably on the up and up, but there's a possibility of a scam, so it should be simple for them to show you their calculations from when the deal was done originally and what they are saying now and why there's a difference. Wouldn't be a bad idea to call the DMV ahead of time and ask them what the taxes should be or find it on their website so you can double check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:40 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Hi! Instead of making 2 threads, I thought I would ask 2 separate questions here....

We recently purchased a 2016 Prius, approx a month ago. We love the car, so quality of car is not an issue.

Question 1: Wee got a nail in our tire. Yeap, you read that right What would be the best approach to repair? Silly to replace all 4 tires and I can't seem to find the tires on the car right now anywhere. Since the nail is not in the sidewall, plugging has been mentioned. Yes? No? Suggestions?

Question 2: Over the weekend, we received a bill in the mail from the dealership because they miscalculated our taxes and we owe the dealer $252.00. How should we approach this?
Ask the tire shop to fix the tire. It usually costs about $20.00. Typically they break it off the rim and patch it from the inside, I think. Otherwise, you might have to buy at least one new tire, maybe two to keep it even.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Get the tire patched. Why would you have to replace all four tires if one was trashed unless the car is AWD?
Even on an AWD car with a fussy spec about matching tire diameter like a Subaru or an Audi, you can have a replacement tire shaved to match the other three. Tire Rack does it if you don't have anyone local.

Somebody in Chicago is not going to be happy with stock Prius tires in the winter.

If it were anything but sales tax, you signed a contract at the dealer and paid the money. You have title to the car. They probably wouldn't drag you to small claims court over it. If they collected the sales tax to pass on to the state and blew the math, you probably have to pay it but the advice here to go in and have them carefully explain their error and the revised math is what I'd do.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Discount Tire charged $20 to patch last time I used them a few years ago.
Walmart in Montana charged me $8 last time I drove through there 9 months ago. I've put thousands of miles on it since.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Pretty much any tire shop an fix it. I've used everything from a hole in the wall place to Discount tire and have had them plugged and/or patched. Never had an issue. Interestingly every tire I have had done was taken off the rim whether they patched or plugged.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I would like to find a tire shop that patched for free! Plugs work great for nail holes.

I would double check their tax calculation and if the mistake is legite, I would pay the taxes. Too bad they screwed it up the first time. They probably have done that before.

les Schwab does not charge for plugging a tire.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:12 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Oh, and by the way.

Computer error? What, little men doing calculations inside of it on abacus made a mistake? Ever since computer "makes an error"? Also, ever since one's error became other's liability?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:12 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Patch is a very normal thing for auto owners to do. Just becareful the tire people don't damage your TMS or valve stem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive