Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:50 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It depends on the brand.

The BMW's and Volvos from the 1980's and up to the mid-1990's are still going strong.
They were well designed and not over engineered. The BMW's since 2000 are disposable vehicles, good to own only until their 100k mile factory warranty runs out. A factory mechanic told me that the fiber optic cables in those cars are only good for ten years, then it's not worth replacing them.

A Mini is never worth owning. Mechanics hate working on them but they make garages a lot of revenue.

My 1994 Civic lasted me 430k miles and almost 21 years until she got too rusted in the rear quarter panels. Now I drive a 2002 Civic Si with 220k miles. She's a better car to drive but I know that she's not going to be a 400k mile car. The car's got more features, ones I don't want, so more systems to fail. I miss my '94 Si.

And another key to vehicle longevity is the car having a manual transmission.
I hardly ever see older bmws and volvos on the road but i certainly see tons of chevys from the 90s and even late 80s on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 15,187 times
Look at all the electronics and wiring they cram into cars these days. All while making the interior space bigger. It's so hard for mechanics to work on things now. For example, an older Tahoe is a vehicle that is very easy for a mechanic to work on. Lots of room. Like an older Jeep

Old 08-14-2016, 12:56 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I hardly ever see older bmws and volvos on the road but i certainly see tons of chevys from the 90s and even late 80s on the road.
Where do you live? I see many Volvo 240 wagons on the road and BMW e30's to e36 generation cars too. They are also popular as racecars since they are easy to work on an sturdy.

A co-worker with a 185k mile BMW 2007 5-series xi has a leaking oil pan gasket. It's $1500 to fix and the mechanics don't recommend putting the money into the car. I'm glad that it's not my car.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Where do you live? I see many Volvo 240 wagons on the road and BMW e30's to e36 generation cars too. They are also popular as racecars since they are easy to work on an sturdy.

A co-worker with a 185k mile BMW 2007 5-series xi has a leaking oil pan gasket. It's $1500 to fix and the mechanics don't recommend putting the money into the car. I'm glad that it's not my car.
Philly suburbs within a mile of rt 309 and 5 miles from the PA turnpike. I can't recall the last time i saw older volvos or bmws but i see new ones.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
My car, 2004-2006 model years, would just be a lump of metal without a functioning BCM. These apparently cannot be repaired and spares are quite expensive. Might be impossible to find a spare in a few more years. Same could be said for a carburetor of old but carbs. are sill available new and people are still around who know how to rebuild or one can rebuild if using a manual. No manuals exist for damaged computers. That is the limitation.

Applies to Fox Mustangs as well as they use a computer if retaining factory EFI. Do not know if aftermarket or rebuilt BCMs exist for them.

A flooding due to natural disaster and a modern car is toast in my view. Remember one of the Internet things to do when buying a car was to confirm it was not a Katrina car or similar flooded area. The new era version of only pick a non-Northern car due to the likelihood of salt damage and preferably a desert car due to the lessened oppty. for rust to develop.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Translated: "I like to work on cars, and I can't work on new ones".
What he said has some truth to it. A lot of people nowadays are so bedazzled with the latest tech features, yet they ignore the fact that's what's under the hood is garbage.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:59 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Philly suburbs within a mile of rt 309 and 5 miles from the PA turnpike. I can't recall the last time i saw older volvos or bmws but i see new ones.
Well us New Englanders are a frugal lot. No need to ever buy a new car. BTW the owner of IKEA drives a 240 wagon!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:27 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times
As cars become much more complex, I have also wondered how long they will last before expensive electronics start to break! I have a 2006 Mazda3, 2012 Mazda CX-9 and a 2015 Volvo V60. Both Mazdas are owned (paid off) but the Volvo is leased. As much as I love the car, I didn't want to own it after the warranty expired.

The following are just a few of the features on the Volvo-

Active (turn slightly with steering wheel) Xenon Headlights
Automatic High Beams
Forward Collision Warning
Pedestrian & Cyclist Detection with Full Auto-Braking
Adaptive Cruise Control
Blind Spot Information System
Lane Keeping Aid
and Driver Alert Control

All of those features use either camera, radar or laser to operate. Few of them share the same camera/radar/laser device....and those will break one day! The cameras for the Lane Keeping Aid and Driver Alert Control (which 'read' the lane markings on the highway) are mounted above the rearview mirror as part of the windshield. I checked, just out of curiosity, and the replacement cost for the windshield is over $1800! I got rear-ended shortly after I got the car and the rear bumper cover and reinforcement were damaged, which also damaged the Blind Spot sensors. The parts alone cost the insurance company over $2k.

I can't believe I'm saying this (I'm only 41, and only old people say this) but they don't make them lke they used to! My '94 Acura Legend (totaled in 2004) had over 280k miles on it and it didn't even feel like it had 80k miles! Everything was original (even the clutch), the engine didn't use a drop of oil, nothing squeaked or rattled and the entire thing felt rock solid. It would easily have reached 500k miles if some idiot hadn't ran a red light and t-boned me. I do NOT have the same faith in any vehicle made today.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:49 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
You can expect 200,000 miles out of a Toyota. I have a Kia with 130,000 miles and it has had no problems. Cars used to not make it past 100,000 miles, so there has definitely been progress.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:50 PM

384 posts, read 734,630 times
No one can predict. If they can they are full of sh*t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive