Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If there's that much "crud" inside of a transmission the OP has bigger problems than a small leak. Any debris or shavings in a transmission should be in the bottom of the pan or stuck to the magnet.
We don't know if it's a "small leak", and I can't imagine a bigger problem than a transmission without fluid. A transmission with some crud still operates. A transmission without fluid burns out and ceases to operate.

My recommendation stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 04:01 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
In 2016, tranny means something else. Get back to transmission. I know its one syllable more, but still.
Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm well over 50, and I first started working on stuff like this when I was 10. I have been using that word for a very long time and I'm not going to toss a perfectly good word away and stop using it just because some other folks have decided to use it for something else. Same goes for gay and *****, and a number of others, like '***' for a cigarette or '******' for a bundle of sticks. I'm not going to stop using them just because some fools want to usurp them and try to make them mean something else.

Edit: well, I see that the PC software is trying to force me not to use perfectly good words with acceptable definitions. This PC crap is getting ridiculous.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On topic:

OP, get a reputable mechanic to diagnose your leak, if you can't or won't crawl under there yourself to find it, and don't have a friend who can do it.

No, draining/flushing and filling will not cure your leak issue. It might be offered as an adjunct service, but it will not solve the original problem.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Zymer

Are there not "leak fixing" tranny fluids such as high mileage oil is supposed to do for small oil leaks?

Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They don't do transmission repair so they are trying to sell you on a service they do provide... Why in the world would you use Jiffy Lube for something like that? Or anything for that matter.
Beat me to it. OP, stay away from "stupid lube" type outfits.

If you have a tranny leak, very likely it's the output shaft, you might drain the fluid, replace that seal and maybe the bushing ahead of it.

Depending on how bad the leak is, you could just leave well enough alone, and keep checking fluid level.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:23 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
A simple and costs nothing is to first try tightening the pan bolts. Just like the oil pan, the gaskets get compressed.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
The majority of automatic transmissions leak for expensive reasons.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Suffice it to say that not all jiffy lubes are the same.Just because one of you has idiots working at yours doesnt mean everyones does.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:12 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The majority of automatic transmissions leak for expensive reasons.
See these URLs to get an idea:

Transmission Fluid Leak | Causes and Repair Information

Transmission Fluid Leak: Causes & DIY | Transmission Repair Guy

Old 08-23-2016, 05:36 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I called a leading big chain repair shop in my area (Jiffy Lube), asked them how much it would cost to check out my transmission leak..the guy suggested that I have a Tranmission drain and fill...so here's my question. How in the hell does a Drain and Fill, resolve a leak issue?

I'm not a car expert, but I'm trying to figure out how that would work. I was kinda annoyed that he even suggested that.
Jiffy lube isnt' a transmission repair place so why ask them?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:03 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Zymer

Are there not "leak fixing" tranny fluids such as high mileage oil is supposed to do for small oil leaks?
There are some people that sell some stuff that they *claim* will 'fix' leaks, but I am highly skeptical of the efficacy of those products. If it is a seal that is seeping a little bit, it might or might not help.

But if the tranny is leaving spots or a trail of fluid, and one has to keep adding fluid on a regular basis, then such a product is not likely to help.

The OP first needs to find out just exactly 'what' is leaking before figuring out what to do to fix it.

'Magic' cure in a bottle is just a band-aid, if it works at all. Some times a band-aid is all you need...and sometimes it's all you need to dump a POC on someone else and get something that doesn't have an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive