Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post

The problem with it is when you go to sell it. People don't know how to drive a stickshift so potential buyers are few and far between.
True. Not only that but some car salesmen have no idea how to drive one, either. I was at a VW dealership and wanted to test drive a Passat with a stickshift and the salesman had me go to the back of the lot and retrieve the car and pick him up. He had no clue.

My 1st stick, I ordered from a dealer and had to pick it up and drive it home not knowing how. I did great until I had to stop and get gas and then I stalled it a few times leaving the gas station. You'll be fine. Just remember to always engage the parking brake when you park it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 04:30 PM

376 posts, read 500,296 times
No OP, you shouldn't.

Today I was 4 feet behind a guy with a manual and he rolled 4 feet back into me in my 2015 jetta. in those few seconds some $2k+ of damage was done thanks to his metal hitch basket thingy.

Said he "didnt see me" but we all know thats a completely rookie mistake, to roll back that much.

No need to learn on an arguable antiquated method of shifting gears.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:40 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
If they roll back 4 feet they obviously didn't practice their hill starts.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:52 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I get it,
don't buy manual because some people suck at driving manual

Great point

When both of our batteries die, I'm going to laugh at you because I can start my car by letting it roll downhill with the clutch pressed while in 2nd gear and pulling the clutch out.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I get it,
don't buy manual because some people suck at driving manual

Great point

When both of our batteries die, I'm going to laugh at you because I can start my car by letting it roll downhill with the clutch pressed while in 2nd gear and pulling the clutch out.

It has nothing to do with other people sucking. I've owned manuals before. I learned on a manual. Problem is, manuals suck in traffic, especially stop and go traffic. I keep my vehicles up, so I don't have to worry about a dead battery. Of those vehicles I've owned that had a manual, I never once had to let one roll downhill and pop the clutch. I've never had to deal with a dead battery on any of my automatics either. So much for that argument. On the other hand, every time you drive a manual, you'll have to shift.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
On the other hand, every time you drive a manual, you'll have to shift.
Every time you ride a bicycle, you have to balance. Every time you go for a walk, you have to watch out to make sure you don't accidentally wander onto a busy roadway. Every time you go shopping, you have to make sure you have money or credit cards on you. Shifting a manual transmission is something people do automatically without thinking about it. Just like when riding a bicycle, you can balance automatically without thinking about it. Even when you try to lie on a sofa and relax and do nothing at all, you have to breathe. Life is an almost infinite load of constant chores. Start working.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Where do you guys live that say traffic sucks if you drive a manual?

I live in California BTW. I've been in Bay Area traffic and LA traffic.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:20 AM

256 posts, read 453,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
Driving a stick is easy, it just takes some getting used to and then it is second nature. You doesn't feel different from driving an automatic, but there is more to do. I almost always had a stick until recent years.

The problem with it is when you go to sell it. People don't know how to drive a stickshift so potential buyers are few and far between.

However, if you can negotiate a good deal from the seller and save money then it is worth it if you don't plan to resell the car down the road. If you can get more car for less money then that is an incentive to buy.

In my opinion, everybody should know how to drive a stick. They aren't common anymore but you should know how.
This.

Drove my first manual the day before my 13th b-day. My father purchased a house out in the country and that was his gift. So much fun learning and lots of fond memories of nearly backing into barbed wire fences.

Currently trying to sell my 2014 Cruze with manual. Only three people this last month showed any interest via text message. Not many know how to drive them anymore, or are willing to learn.

However, they're great with winter conditions.

Also, there are certain vehicles that benefit from manuals when trying to resale from personal experience, and that of friends.

Jeeps and sports cars, many people in the market for these vehicles are either experienced or willing to learn, and feel they're safe bets to purchase.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:04 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Where do you guys live that say traffic sucks if you drive a manual?

I live in California BTW. I've been in Bay Area traffic and LA traffic.
Come to Washington D.C. I hate riding my motorcycle in rush hour traffic if I can't use the express lanes for any reason - my left hand and wrist are killing me by the time I get home. Depending on the month, day and time, traffic is either running at 60 miles an hour or bumper to bumper for 10-20 miles on I-95.

Last edited by ReblTeen84; 09-02-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 12:03 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
I bought my first manual without knowing how to drive a manual. Dealership brought me for a few drives family brought the car home and after a bit of practice in my neighborhood was good to go.

I would absolutely do it again. Just know your limits. Also do not buy new, unless it is a manual that will not depreciate too bad. An average 4 banger equipped with a stick will depreciate like heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive