Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:22 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Another observation I've seen is the typical one at a turn, someone does a full brake and brings the car to near stop then hits the gas to make the right hand turn. Totally unnecessary, I drive an SUV and didn't need to slow it down to dead stop, in fact slowing it down just enough to let the car rotate into the turn is a lot better for the kidneys of my passenger!
Well, where i live if theres a stop sign you are still required to stop. Just because youre turning right that doeant make the red light or stop sign obsolete.
Thats also iirc called a California Roll which will get you a ticket lots of places (i didnt stop, but i slowed down).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There are lots of completely incompetent, inconsiderate drivers on the road. People like that are also usually the ones that can't figure out how to move out of the left lane when they are not passing. There needs to be an IQ test for drivers.
Yeah same with those who think the passing lane means passing everyone at whatever speed they want for as long as they want.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
In 30 years of driving not once have i ever done anything that stupid, been in any situation such as that, nor have i ever for whatever stupid reason there could be to stomp on both pedals at the same time. What idiot does that?
You drive your way ill drive mine.

You mean flinch up when they are about to get into an accident?? Most people do, that's why people are tought to use one leg. Not sure why you take that so personal. I didn't even start to say how lazy it is to use to use two legs, or how personally, I would rather ride with someone who drives with there foot out the window (in an automatic) then someone who uses two legs.

I still don't understand why people even do that. All I can come up with is how lazy it is. How it must be a force of habit from being that person who brakes too heavy in traffic and causes the slinky problem. It just seems like its complete ignorance and never shown the basic fundamentals when first learning.

Quote:
Thats me. One foot on the brake and one on the gas. But i dont actually press on the brake. I will let off the gas if possible.
To answer the question i think it is because people will sometimes say they didnt know the person had slowed or was slowing because they didnt see brake lights. People are conditioned in a sense (imo) to equate no brake lights with normal driving speeds and brake lights with decreasing speed.

Ive met ppl who drive with one foot on the pedal and the other out the window, on the dash, or underneath them. Then when they have to stomp on the brake they miss, hit the floor, and then crash right into whatever. With my way im ready for anything.
This doesn't sound like its ever happened. How does someone driving with one foot completely miss the brake pedal and hit the floor??

Old 08-31-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
You mean flinch up when they are about to get into an accident?? Most people do, that's why people are tought to use one leg. Not sure why you take that so personal. I didn't even start to say how lazy it is to use to use two legs, or how personally, I would rather ride with someone who drives with there foot out the window (in an automatic) then someone who uses two legs.

I still don't understand why people even do that. All I can come up with is how lazy it is. How it must be a force of habit from being that person who brakes too heavy in traffic and causes the slinky problem. It just seems like its complete ignorance and never shown the basic fundamentals when first learning.

This doesn't sound like its ever happened. How does someone driving with one foot completely miss the brake pedal and hit the floor??
i think using one foot i lazy so there. With both feet in heavy stop and go traffic i can stop and go in a fraction of a second so whats wrong with that. Juat beause you cant do it doesnt mean nobody else can.

Stomping on the brake: when you stomp on something do you just push your foot down or do you lift it up then force it down and sometimes miss what youre aiming at? If you dont are you saying that nobody in the history of mankind ever has?

Old 08-31-2016, 06:38 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
i think using one foot i lazy so there. With both feet in heavy stop and go traffic i can stop and go in a fraction of a second so whats wrong with that. Juat beause you cant do it doesnt mean nobody else can.

Stomping on the brake: when you stomp on something do you just push your foot down or do you lift it up then force it down and sometimes miss what youre aiming at? If you dont are you saying that nobody in the history of mankind ever has?
In professional racing it's fine for the two foot method. On public roads, it's a waste. You say you hover your left foot over the brake pedal but for some vehicles all it takes is a touch of the shoe to the pedal to activate the brake lights causing vehicles behind you to brake expecting you to slow down. Best to rest your left foot on the left. If you inadvertently apply a small amount of pressure on the brake pedal, you're applying pressure to the brakes causing wear on the pads/shoes.

For me, when I see a stop sign, turn, or a traffic light red or about to turn red ahead I take my foot off the gas to coast down before needing to apply the brakes. Conserves gas and extends the life of the brakes. I also maintain proper distance from the vehicle in front of me so I don't need split second braking speed to avoid an accident.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 AM

459 posts, read 620,151 times
My wife thinks everything is controlled by on/off switches, cars, thermostats etc.
Except she never turns the lights off in an unused room.
Americans seem very wasteful to us poor Brits lol

Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
i think using one foot i lazy so there.
Hard to argue with a 5 yr old.
Quote:
With both feet in heavy stop and go traffic i can stop and go in a fraction of a second so whats wrong with that.
How much time do you think it takes to move your foot to the side and down, as opposed to just down, in "STOP AND GO TRAFFIC". You're talking about stop and go, reflex speeds and milliseconds really don't matter.
Quote:
Juat beause you cant do it doesnt mean nobody else can.
I can do it. I know its safer not to, and I drive a manual transmission. I can 3 pedal around my turns, but I have enough common-sense not to.

Quote:
Stomping on the brake: when you stomp on something do you just push your foot down or do you lift it up then force it down and sometimes miss what youre aiming at?
No, like everyone else, I just angle it over and down. There is no stomping, there is no lifting it up.

Quote:
If you dont are you saying that nobody in the history of mankind ever has?
I'm saying that YOU don't know anyone who has ever said that to you.

1. I don't believe you have met ppl who drive with one foot on the pedal and the other out the window, on the dash, or underneath them. Then TOLD YOU they have had to stomp on the brake and missed. It is out of context.
2. I think If someone actually had told you this story, YOU wouldn't say "crash right into whatever". From your posts you seem to be counterintuitive and so does this. If someone told you they got into a WRECK they would have told you what they hit, and YOU would have said it.

Of course I could be wrong, but your use of grammar, abbreviations, and your responses, I don't think you are anywhere near 40 something.

Last edited by adriver; 08-31-2016 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 07:54 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Yeah same with those who think the passing lane means passing everyone at whatever speed they want for as long as they want.
A left lane vigilante with their brake lights on. I've certainly seen you on the road, Buick?

Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post

My dad taught me to do it. His reason? Reaction time. You can be on the brake faster with the left foot than the right. I did it well. I stopped doing that probably after a year, and because I was learning to drive a stick. I decided that it was better to do one foot braking all the time, and not just when driving a stick.

Quote:

I missed the brake once driving an unfamiliar car. That was about 30 years ago. I quickly recovered. The second time I missed was due to neurological disease in my feet. It had got to that point. I did recover, but immediately stopped driving for a while until I learned to drive with hand controls. I now brake with one hand.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Reread the part where i said i dont apply pressure to the pedal. I dont rest my foot on the brake, i hold it just on top.
And ive never been in a wreck, nor have i ever had to fix or replace brakes earlier than recommended but those who drive using one foot for both pedals? I definitely see them getting into wrecks.

The more I read of your posts on this sub forum the more I begin to suspect you are either an experimental AI attempting to mimic human behavior without having had any actual human experiences, or you're just trolling us. Using different feet for the gas and break pedals is so much more dangerous than using the same foot for both pedals and anyone who has had any actual driving experience would understand this. I tried the two foot method once out of curiosity and that one time was enough to tell me all I needed to know on that subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive