Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times

Advertisements

I change lane and overtake these drivers.

That is the good thing about driving hybrid car while pursuing high mpg, you hate pressing the brake, only if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 03:21 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was on a road doing about 50mph this car in front of me keeps pulling and brake. You can see the brake lights keep going on and off while there's no traffic lights at all. Very annoying to have like a 2 car distance then back down to 1 car length and then car pulls again and never maintains a steady pace.
I've actually met a few people who drive an automatic with both feet. One foot rests on the gas pedal while one foot rests on the brake pedal. My thought is when you see the brake lights constantly going off and on, they have one foot resting on the pedal.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:10 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Yeah - most people are just very gas and brake, gas and brake....accelerate until they look 200 feet ahead and ooops! the light is red so I'll slam on the brakes! I "coast" a lot and keep a good distance clear in front of me...also looking far ahead. My brakes last a looong time! ha

When teaching me to drive both my mom and dad were very clear on not "riding the brake" and never using both feet so I guess that stuck with me. Also, the importance of driving at a constant speed and not speeding up or slowing down for no reason...I honestly don't know what principles are taught in driving classes now with people not even using turn signals. One thing for sure, if they're going slow for no good reason, they're texting!

Old 08-30-2016, 04:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I often see on the road that someone hit the gas and speeds up then applies the brakes quickly to slow it down. Then gas up again and brake tapping. It gets very annoying to be behind someone that keeps pulling for a bit then slowing down. Doesn't the person know just take the foot off the gas pedal and apply gas in between instead of constantly gas and brake.

Even more annoying is someone on the highway that does this. Goes from 60-65, person brakes for 2 secs then from 60 hits gas and then at 70 brakes again to bring car down to 65 then repeat. Never knows how to maintain speed by just properly applying gas.

When I'm in the lead on the highway I rarely use the brakes unless I need to.
It is a function of tailgating. If you drive to close, you need to brake every time the person in front of you slows down even slightly, or risk an accident.

On a somewhat related note I was behind one of my student driving into school one day and he kept doing that. I mentioned it to him when he mentioned he saw me, and said "but everyone does that" and when I mentioned to him that was mostly happening because he was tailgating he looked so offended. He insisted he wasn't tailgating because he was "a car length behind" the other car. When I told him the rule of thumb was a car length for each 10 miles an hour, and we were in a 50 zone so he should have been 5 car lengths back, he kept insisting it was one car length regardless of speed. This is a smart kid, number 2 in his class.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Those pulse drivers make me seasick. One of my daughter's former boyfriends drove like that, put the gas, push the brake, push the gas push the brake. On a long trip I thought I was going to vomit. I never have motion sickness, but that was driving me crazy. Not wanting to be impolite, I had to find reasons for someone else to drive when we went on a family road trip. Fortunately, they broke up.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:39 PM

4,546 posts, read 3,746,709 times
Haha, I love this forum. I think about random things all the time on the way to work and from work (I have a fairly long commute) and I think about random things during the drive. Most of these things are about random driving issues, always thinking why other drivers just "don't get it."

Then I come on here after a long day of work and someone is already ask/commenting on the same issues!

Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,981 times
I wonder how much of this has to do with the auto being driven. For example, my dad's old Tahoe ('92 I think) would just roll. And I mean ROLL. So me removing my foot from the gas did nothing to slow it down. I'd have to brake to slow down. I drove my aunt's big heavy Caddy once, same thing. I haven't noticed it as much in my mom's Traverse ('14), but it rolls way more than my Mazda 3.

BTW, I do see this a lot and it bugs the heck out of me especially since I drive a manual and my car seems to slow down faster than an automatic. I try not to judge as I'm cussing them out, but y'know, maybe it's the auto their driving also?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Occasionally I see a S2000 ride 2nd gear to the light and that could also be annoying because the guy slows down from 45 to 20 without a tail light on.

The worst part as mentioned are people who gas up then brakes hard or some that just rides on the brakes.

I've owned a lot of cars and I rarely changed the brakes on one car more than twice that goes to show how long my brakes last.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:18 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Bad parenting/driving instruction. I've seen this bad driving behavior. On some roads all I can do is slow down to give even greater distance since passing isn't possible. While tire and brake shops may enjoy their business, the roads would be safer with them off the road.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
The only thing dumber than the speed/brake dodos are the folks (usually women, for some reason) who struggle to turn their wheels in parking lots while remaining stationary. They have never learned that just the tiniest bit of motion makes it MUCH easier to turn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive