Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:37 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,004,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
It was less than two years old since build date. These cars sell for this all the time when the market is not flooded with rental fleets that were just auctioned off. Plus, Alaska has a different set of values than the lower 48. Everything is more expensive here since dealers can mark whatever they want and people typically pay it.
didn't you state you could not find a buyer on your own ?

Trading crossways or trading down always leaves a smoke smell from someone getting burned and it won't be the dealer !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 12:26 PM

256 posts, read 453,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
didn't you state you could not find a buyer on your own ?

Trading crossways or trading down always leaves a smoke smell from someone getting burned and it won't be the dealer !
In the end, we're okay with the over all ending of things. Was a nice car, but was not a good fit for our family, and with my wife's knee surgeries and spinal fusion she could no longer drive manual transmission without some discomfort. Considering winter is coming which makes selling front drive cars more difficult and the lack of people willing to drive one.

I do not feel burned under the circumstances. I made a poor decision purchasing a manual in the first place.

The only manuals that appear to sell are sports cars and Wranglers.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:19 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times
So your last asking price was $11.5 and you traded it in for $8.8 instead of lowering your price to $10 or even $9.5?
For that trade in privilege, you get to pay NADA PP price on a Trailblazer (Trollblazer)?
I wouldn't have done it but glad that you're satisfied. Happy trails.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So your last asking price was $11.5 and you traded it in for $8.8 instead of lowering your price to $10 or even $9.5?
For that trade in privilege, you get to pay NADA PP price on a Trailblazer (Trollblazer)?
I wouldn't have done it but glad that you're satisfied. Happy trails.
These things are just not selling. The market is different up here and living about 3 hours outside of a major town made it even harder to offload. besides this "trollblazer" is rather nice and wife / kids are happy with it. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices and lose.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Tough for either side to get excited over an "even trade," MillerThyme . . .

Makes sense you would do better "trading up" by a few thousand than trying to "trade even." Then you have a better, more suitable vehicle and the dealer / salesman has a better deal.

Good Luck.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,600,345 times
Plus, if the OP lives in Alaska, as his profile suggests, this is the wrong time to be selling a car and the wrong time to be buying an SUV or a truck. With winter on the way, people up here are thinking about all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Plus, if the OP lives in Alaska, as his profile suggests, this is the wrong time to be selling a car and the wrong time to be buying an SUV or a truck. With winter on the way, people up here are thinking about all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive.
Exactly - Over all I am really happy everything worked out with how the market works up here. It needed to be done and waiting any longer was not an option. The value would've depreciated even further by next summer.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:19 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,627,459 times
I quite honestly don't understand how a manual shift Chevy Cruse would have made its way to Alaska in the first place, and then into the stable of an amateur auto flipper. It really doesn't hit ANY of the 'buy in Alaska' hot buttons.

Plus sometimes when you get a 'smashing' deal on an unusual car, the seller is laughing at you for buying it at all. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I quite honestly don't understand how a manual shift Chevy Cruse would have made its way to Alaska in the first place, and then into the stable of an amateur auto flipper. It really doesn't hit ANY of the 'buy in Alaska' hot buttons.

Plus sometimes when you get a 'smashing' deal on an unusual car, the seller is laughing at you for buying it at all. Hopefully a lesson learned.
Not an amateur auto flipper on purpose. Just had a couple deals fall in my lap and the Cruze was supposed to stay with me for a few years because of the price, gas mileage, and low miles. Never intended to offload that vehicle anytime soon. Life happens and things come up. It was great at first, but as the summer continued the car rubbed me and my wife the wrong way. However, I would like to end this on a positive note about the Cruze. We got into a line of cars cruising around 75-80mph the entire trip, and still achieved 40mpg. My best trip was 44mpg at 60mph. They are smooth running and efficient machines.

Also, I don't like flipping cars and don't intend to continue either. This was a one time random series of events this summer.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:20 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,600,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post

There are actually a number of Chevy dealers in Alaska. And sometimes the manufacturer will make dealers take the oddball vehicle. Go to any dealer in Southcentral Alaska that sells new trucks and virtually every one of them will be a 4x4 with tow package. If you ever come across a 2WD pickup without the tow package, it's because it was forced on the dealer by the manufacturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive