Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:30 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times

Advertisements

I noticed many new cars today have these three driving options. Has any reputable automotive testing publication, print or digital, ever performed an acceleration and fuel economy test on each of these three modes? Would software changes from normal to sport result in the biggest speed gains in a CVT vehicle compared to the gains in a traditional geared transmission?

Does anyone here have a vehicle with Eco and sport mode and have tried all the settings pushed hard acceleration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
That varies by the car. On my Challenger, eco mode is automatic but can be turned off. It's simply shutting down the fuel and spark to two cylinders when coasting or cruising on flat ground. Sport mode provides a firmer ride and aggressive shifting for more "spirited driving." In sport mode one does not worry about the mpg. I can also shut off the traction control for doing burnouts, and the trip computer has a 0-60 timer.

On my wife's 2014 Escape, sports mode is simply a shifter selection that allows you to shift manually with a button along side the shifter. Eco mode is not called out, but is basically any time you don't jump on it and kick the turbo in.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
My Cayenne turbo will only go into 1st gear with sport on and or PSM turned off (Porsche Stability Management) With PSM off, I gain a VERY noticeable 10+% more power then with it on. It also won't go below about 2,500 rpm or shift into 6th gear, thus turbo's are running and won't shift until almost redline. The tank just hauls a** and is a blast to drive with sport and PSM off, boring when it's on. The fun causes my avg mpg to be around 13, but I didn't buy this thing to fuel save.

Last edited by wamer27; 09-07-2016 at 09:34 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 09:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
I leave mine in the normal mode. The differences are minimal and it's mostly marketing hype.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:30 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I leave mine in the normal mode. The differences are minimal and it's mostly marketing hype.
I thought on some models sport mode is like a mild tuner chips with a factory warranty.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:32 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I thought on some models sport mode is like a mild tuner chips with a factory warranty.

Nothing like that. Mostly small changes to transmission shift points and steering wheel effort.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:00 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
My car has multiple modes. The Eco setting changes shift points and makes it less responsive in order to discourage rapid acceleration. I tried that setting once and about three seconds was all it took for me to take it off. It's useful on wet or icy roads though, as my car is RWD and it helps keep the tires from spinning.

Sport mode adjusts the transmission and the suspension, but I can customize it so it only adjusts one or the other. I usually leave the transmission alone (I don't need the car at 3200 RPM all the time) but put the suspension in sport mode.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:40 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
I use eco mode on both our vehicles on highway driving. In a few occasions where we drove hundred of miles, I did noticed that the gas mileage was definitely much better with the eco mode. In eco mode, the accelerator is much less responsive. In the sedan, eco mode is beyond just the acceleration, the climate temperature control is also optimized.

Every vehicle "eco" and sport mode will differ but basically boils down to eco=fuel saving and sport = responsive driving/handling

Old 09-08-2016, 07:34 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
based on Motor trend they tend to just change the steering feel and make the engine and suspension responded quicker and the sporty the ride selection the stiff the ride some cars offer the ability for the one to customize their own settings for steering wheel weight and response on car with electric steering and suspension stiffness.

GM seems to have some of the Best electric dampers/suspensions on their cars trucks and SUV's based on Motor Trend as well the current 6th Gen 2SS Camaro is said to have better electronic suspension set up then the C7 Corvette (Non-Z06) and BMW M3/M4 based on their reviews then again it is based off the latest Cadillac CTS-V for 2/3RD's the price.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times
Our Kia has an eco mode. But it also has a weird Eco, Normal, Sport mode for steering wheel feel. Nothing gets my blood rushing than setting on sport steering mode in a Kia Soul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive