Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:44 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times

Advertisements

I had a vehicle that was missing a lug nut for a very long time and I never had a problem with it. Another time, one was stripped out, but I never replaced it. Good to go ahead and replace it soon though, particularly if you do a lot of highway driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 05:47 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
If "they" broke a lug nut they really would have had any number of them laying around to replace it with...... All tire stores have extras.... If they are just the plain old lug nuts...

If "they" broke a lug, then they could have replaced it within the same day.. All you would have had to do was come back after they got it from a warehouse and it would have taken them about 1 hour to replace if that long....

Ans yes, you can drive for a bit on a broken lug (if it is an actual lug nut ANY parts store would have them)....

Old 09-13-2016, 06:04 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia44 View Post
Thank you! Can I install it myself? And where would I buy it- would a hardware store have it?
If they broke a stud, and you are here asking...you aren't going to do it yourself.

If all they did was 'round off' the sides of a lug *nut* (and there is no damage to the stud) then you can get replacements at just about any auto parts store- Advance Auto, Riley's, NAPA, whatever. Don't bother with a hardware store.

A lug nut needs to be torqued down to a particular specification, you'll need the appropriate lug wrench.

If your wheels have five lugs, you can go for a little while with one missing. If your wheels only have four lugs, don't wait too long.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
If Discount Tire broke it, demand that they replace it! Why wouldn't you expect them to correct their own mistake? They should have fixed it before you left the store

I seriously doubt they broke a lug nut....they most likely over torqued it and broke the stud. They only cost a couple of dollars, but they'll have to remove the brake rotor to replace it. They install from the back side.
This. Make sure the supervisor on duty is paying attention to this repair.

You don't want the same numbskull who broke the stud in the first place doing this job.

They should fix it for you for free and promptly.

Damn chain tire stores anyway.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:10 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,002,512 times
Your Civic LX would have steel wheels (not alloy) with wheel covers if it still has the standard original wheels.

If you look at the place where one is missing and you see the threaded end of a stud sticking through the hole in the wheel/wheel cover it's the lug nut that's missing. If the hole looks empty or you see the broken end of the stud, it's the stud they broke...

Old 09-13-2016, 08:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
They should have replaced it when they broke it. If you do a Google search "what's the difference between a lug nut and a lug bolt" ... or a lug stud" you can get photos.

I wouldn't drive without it (especially if you only have 4/wheel) ... but then again, I value my life.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:30 PM

49 posts, read 80,828 times
Thank you very much to everyone who posted.

So I found an auto shop that was open late. The woman that worked there checked and got me a replacement lug nut. She was nice enough to put it on but... yep, the bolt was stripped.

She agreed with all of you that it's crazy the people at Discount Tire did not replace it when it happened.

However, she also told me that she thinks I'll be fine driving on my road trip on my own. Four of the five bolts are fine, and she said that if it were her, she would do the trip and not worry.

I would go in tomorrow and speak to the manager and demand they fix the lug, but I have to leave early tomorrow morning. However, in three weeks, when I am back, I will do just that.

Any other opinions? Perhaps a different location of Discount Tire, one that's on my route, would fix it for me? Is it really that bad to drive without it?

Old 09-13-2016, 09:59 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
If BOLT is stripped, what is actually called STUD, it has to be replaced. Lydia, on some cars, stud is permanently installed into hub bearing and replacing one stud = replacing hub bearing and THAT is expensive job.

Steel wheel: black, rusted. Magnet sticks to it.

Alloys:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...c+alloy+wheels

Alloy wheel lug nut:

Basic standard lug nut:

See the difference?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:19 PM

49 posts, read 80,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
If BOLT is stripped, what is actually called STUD, it has to be replaced. Lydia, on some cars, stud is permanently installed into hub bearing and replacing one stud = replacing hub bearing and THAT is expensive job.

Steel wheel: black, rusted. Magnet sticks to it.

Alloys:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...c+alloy+wheels

Alloy wheel lug nut:

Basic standard lug nut:

See the difference?

Yes... it is a steel wheel. She brought the alloy out and tried to attach it but the screw that it goes into was stripped, according to the woman who helped me. She said that Discount Tire should have fixed it at the time and i should go in and demand it be fixed...

Old 09-14-2016, 03:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
If Discount Tire broke it, demand that they replace it! Why wouldn't you expect them to correct their own mistake? They should have fixed it before you left the store

I seriously doubt they broke a lug nut....they most likely over torqued it and broke the stud. They only cost a couple of dollars, but they'll have to remove the brake rotor to replace it. They install from the back side.
^^this^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia44 View Post
Thank you very much to everyone who posted.

So I found an auto shop that was open late. The woman that worked there checked and got me a replacement lug nut. She was nice enough to put it on but... yep, the bolt was stripped.

She agreed with all of you that it's crazy the people at Discount Tire did not replace it when it happened.

However, she also told me that she thinks I'll be fine driving on my road trip on my own. Four of the five bolts are fine, and she said that if it were her, she would do the trip and not worry.

I would go in tomorrow and speak to the manager and demand they fix the lug, but I have to leave early tomorrow morning. However, in three weeks, when I am back, I will do just that.

Any other opinions? Perhaps a different location of Discount Tire, one that's on my route, would fix it for me? Is it really that bad to drive without it?
if you were to go in tomorrow and have discount repair the issue, you would probably have no problem. waiting three weeks though they might give you static over the issue because they could then claim that the lug broke on your trip.

my advice would be to stop in at the store that did the install, and get in writing from the store manager that they will indeed replace the broken lug when you return from your trip.

i doubt that most discount stores, other than the one that created the problem, will fix the problem without charging you, but there is no harm in trying. remember to bring your receipt for the tire install with you as proof that the work was in fact done at a discount tire store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive