Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:07 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,694,006 times

Advertisements

No smog check here and not a bit of smog (or Smaug).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:32 PM

17,649 posts, read 17,756,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
No smog check here and not a bit of smog (or Smaug).
Nor smug!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,727,618 times
I am not against pollution checks. I am against the specific test they use in CO and AZ, and maybe other states, namely the treadmill test, which the vast majority of vehicles passed...after the owners coughed up the test fee, of course.

CO was trying out a different way of identifying polluters a few years ago. Instead of having to put the vehicle do a treadmill test, the state parked some mobile emissions-sensing vans at areas such as highway on-ramps. It identified who needed to get their vehicle into shape rather than making everybody pay. What happened to that program?

Anyway, emissions tests are not done in all parts of the state, just the densely populated metros.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:56 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,727,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the last time i had a car fail emissions because the filler neck failed inspection, it cost about $12 to get the part needed to reduce the size of the opening so that only an unleaded nozzle could fit.

i dont mind the emissions checks yearly, though with my current ride it will be every two years, and i dont even have to pas a sniffer test, god bless OBll.
Now that I think about it, the previous owner had modified the car to have a true dual exhaust but NOT two catalytic converters. I had to get two new catalytic converters installed, along with new pipes and that fuel filler neck.

But because I ran only unleaded gas, the car passed the actual emissions standards even with the old noncompliant exhaust system.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
My vehicles live at smog free 'boarding school'.

we are on the left coast, so will not be able to avoid the CARB plague for much longer. Then... an MT LLC will own my vehicles and I will just borrow them occasionally.

My WORST, sickly 500,000 mile evil diesel VW RABBIT uses less than 10% of the allowable spec, even when tested on a Dyno. When burning WVO or Bio-D, there is NO discernible emissions. It gets real old explaining that to the tester when I inspect my 34 cars.

My semi truck inspections are the killer,

Old 09-21-2016, 11:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,565,794 times
Depends on the county you live in. In Del Norte County, I only had to get my truck smogged when I bought it, then I don't have to get it smogged again until I want to sell it :-)

Also, depending on your income, you can get $500 money from the state to fix your vehicle if it fails smog.

Then, you can sell your vehicle to the state for $1,000 - $1,500 when you don't want it anymore.

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/Consumer/Con...ram/index.html

This is what I've been doing for years in CA, even when I lived where I had to get my old vehicles smogged. I've been driving old Toyotas (and now a Nissan) for years. If it didn't pass smog, I get the free $500 from the state to fix it. I figured it was repairs that needed to happen anyway, and the state paid for it.

Then, when it's not worth fixing anymore, I sell it to the state for $1,000 - $1500 (depending on how poor you are).

I'd buy an old Toyota for around $1,000, drive it until it died, with possibly a state-funded $500 fix along the line, then when nobody in their right mind would give me $1,000 for it years later, the state buys it from me for as much or more than I paid for it.

So, bad mouth CA all you want over the smog laws. But, CA has been fixing and buying my old beaters for me for years.

And I'm old enough to remember how bad the air quality used to be in CA. You couldn't see the hills anywhere for the smog.

Honestly, I don't understand why some counties don't require the smog tests, like Del Norte County, where I live now. I guess it's because we're so underpopulated that smog isn't a problem here. I do think it's weird that not all counties require it, though.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:58 AM

23,255 posts, read 29,103,005 times
Having my 1985 Toyota smog tested every year is the most stressful day of the year for me.

Whenever I have it tested, I tell the tester how stressful it is for me, and if it passes, I give the tester $100 tip! And, it always passes, and perhaps it's that idea of the tip which may be a factor?

When I bought this car, I followed the person/dealer in my other car, and he was going to have it smog-tested en route. I saw the smoke coming out of the tail pipe (it needed a valve job) following him, and I didn't think it would pass, but he came out smiling, waving the sheet of paper stating Passed!

Question remains, how much did he pay the tester to pass it?

Old 09-22-2016, 06:25 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,746,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My 98 Integra GSR failed smog, it failed 2 years ago too, that time it was a 02 sensor, this time it needs a new Catalytic converter.
Even though there is a smog check place on every corner I go to a guy about 10 miles away because if it fails and I was suspicious of the converter he diagnoses and repairs. The other shops just do the smog check.
So yesterday I rode the city bus home and will ride the bus back to pick it up. I guess I should be happy that there is a bus that goes near the shop and my house. Seniors are only a quarter.. Of course it takes a long time.
Its not cheap to get this stuff repaired, you people who live in a state without a nanny government controlling every aspect of your life and constantly costing you money have no idea how lucky you are. Calif. Does Not have safety inspections though I guess thats next.
The repair man gave me a break total is $500, thats smog check, diagnosis, Catalytic and installation and recheck,
Over the years I have had several cars fail, its always around $500, a completely unnecessary expense because of a oppressive Democrat government.
Good God what planet do you live on? Especially if you live in LA. Do you remember what it was like in the LA basin before emission controls on cars? Do you remember the days when it was so smoggy you could barely breathe, let alone see the mountains? I do. That's why I lived on the water in Redondo Beach so I could get some fresh air.

Emission checking is a key component in making sure that everyone (almost) keeps their cars in working order to keep the smog under control. If you know someone with asthma that can now breathe most days (and there are a ton of people like that in LA, especially kids) they can directly thank the pollution controls and emission checks.

My only issue with emission checks is that they aren't required for heavy diesel trucks and buses. From a particulate standpoint they are the worst offenders of the bunch.

Don't like emissions testing? Move to the desert.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having my 1985 Toyota smog tested every year is the most stressful day of the year for me.

Whenever I have it tested, I tell the tester how stressful it is for me, and if it passes, I give the tester $100 tip! And, it always passes, and perhaps it's that idea of the tip which may be a factor?

When I bought this car, I followed the person/dealer in my other car, and he was going to have it smog-tested en route. I saw the smoke coming out of the tail pipe (it needed a valve job) following him, and I didn't think it would pass, but he came out smiling, waving the sheet of paper stating Passed!

Question remains, how much did he pay the tester to pass it?
You must be very proud of your sleazy arrogance, TijLover . . . but don't ever try that "Tipping Crap" here in Tucson.

There are numerous No Tipping warning signs clearly posted in the Emission Testing Stations and they are very serious and PROSECUTE.

Next time, rather than risking a big fine or worse, consider investing that 100 bucks in your vehicle's maintenance / repairs for the health and well being of everyone involved.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,241,263 times
Just a tip for those who are worried about it ~ buy a Toyota. I've had numerous Toyotas and and they never seem to fail no matter how old they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive