Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:32 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

This site is the "everything's your fault" site, OP. Just sayin'... When I read your post I'm guessing that you don't mean the car slows down, but that the driver behind you is glued to the bumper of your car and objects to the non-linear acceleration inherent to a manual.

If you google "WRX rev hang", a car I'll use as an example merely because I'm familiar with it, you'll have enough reading material to keep you happy. Google "rev hang" alone and you'll have much more reading because it affects almost all modern cars. Most of the hits will be enthusiast forums. The Corolla is seen as more of an appliance car, so I'm not sure that a ton of people are going to be looking at the performance aspects, but the Subaru WRX is more of an enthusiast's car and the drivers tend to expect more of their vehicle than the angry woman driving a CVT equipped Altima that is two inches off their rear bumper in traffic at all times.

Anyway, the WRX has awful rev hang, and it is irritating. The WRX and many other modern cars have this as a byproduct of emissions controls and drive by wire controlling the throttle. Among comments in forums where Subaru people gather, many people have expressed irritation at having to wait longer than what they feel is "normal" to execute a smooth shift because of the slow rev drop. Do you wait for the revs to come down or do you just dump the clutch and let it slow the engine? Those are the two choices.

Some have mentioned specifically annoying other drivers because of the prolonged time that it takes to shift. Again, google WRX rev hang and r/Subaru is probably the first hit where annoying other drivers is mentioned. There are others too. And this is just Subaru forums, not the other cars that have the same issue.

So no, you are not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 12:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Not a problem when I used to drive a manual. then again.. I don't think most manual driver even think about looking at any gauges. It differs in every vehicles so most adjust based on their car. It becomes 2nd nature and one don't even think about it. I may experience some of what you are describing in term of lag if I am not familiar with the particular car but after some driving.. you forget about it.
^^this^^ when i drove a manual trans vehicle, i learned to snap off the 1-2 shift, as smoothly as an automatic shift. you need to stop looking at your gauges and learn to drive by the feel of the vehicle in question. i learned that early on from my father. to avoid jolting the car between shifts, you need to learn to do them quickly enough to limit the rpm drop between gears.

one mistake a lot of people make it pushing the clutch too far down, and then waiting until they change gears before releasing the clutch. limit the travel you use to disengage the clutch, you just need to release it not put the pedal to the floor, and as you are pushing the shifter into the next gear, start engaging the clutch. it will take a bit of work to get it right and avoid crunching gears. but when you do get it right, you will be surprised at how quickly you can shift gears and how smoothly you can do it at the same time.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:12 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
I had a major problem with rev hang with my last vehicle, a Chevy Sonic RS. Even worse, the car would automatically apply a little bit of throttle when you were taking off. I rarely had to give any throttle when taking off stop a stop unless I was on an incline.

My Corolla sounds fairly similar to the WRX. As soon as I press the clutch, there is maybe a second delay before the RPMs drop.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:22 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
The cooler option of course is to chirp second gear with the higher revs.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:29 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
No.
How long have you been driving a stick?
In my nearly 40 years of driving, I've never had to take an engine to 3500 to engage the clutch.
When you're doing it right (in a car, not necessarily a commercial vehicle), the shift between gears would be nearly as seamless and fast as an automatic transmission.
FPNI

This has been my experience as well, with driving a manual transmission for more than 40 years.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:41 PM

306 posts, read 365,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I also can't bring myself to crowd the back bumper of the person ahead of me when stopped on a hill & I see people get exasperated at me about that too. I'm intentionally leaving a gap in case the driver is an inexperienced manual driver & might roll back into me ... are people that unaware that this can happen?
That's because you're not an idiot. Ignore them. They're the same people getting stuck behind stalled cars because they left no gap.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:01 PM

329 posts, read 628,163 times
3500rpm to engage in 1st? yea that's bad and you'll wear out the clutch much faster. I have a unsrpung puck clutch on my weekend warrior and I engage clutch WAY under 1000rpm, slightly higher in an incline

Old 10-05-2016, 01:07 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
3500rpm to engage in 1st? yea that's bad and you'll wear out the clutch much faster. I have a unsrpung puck clutch on my weekend warrior and I engage clutch WAY under 1000rpm, slightly higher in an incline
No no. 3500 from shifting from 1st gear into 2nd. That's what this whole post is about.

I rarely go above 1000 when starting from a complete stop.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:26 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
No no. 3500 from shifting from 1st gear into 2nd. That's what this whole post is about.

Get your eyes off the tach and learn to shift based on how it feels. Trying to come up with specific shift points based on tach figures is counterproductive.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:26 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

In normal driving, aim to shift around 2500 rpm. With enough practice you'll do it smoothly and quickly with almost no slowing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive