Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 12:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,254,879 times

Advertisements

Oh another thing...

Make sure you check your oil level when the engine is cool, preferably overnight. Best time to check is in the morning before you start the car.

Warm oil expands and not all of it will have settled so it will give you a false reading.

Same with tire pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 12:45 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,844,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Even if that were the case, the shop still said it was cool to over fill it.
Definitely a problem...

Old 10-15-2016, 01:08 PM

505 posts, read 851,386 times
A little overfill is fine since it gives an added buffer for leaks & burning, especially in an older car. But 1.25 qts extra is way too much. Time to find a new shop, or better yet, DIY.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,693,788 times
Most shops do not pour quart bottles of oil into an engine, they have a bulk system that pumps the new oil from a big tank to the car. Either these systems are not that accurate, or the knuckleheads don't know how to use it.

I used to be involved with buses, and the bulk oil tank could be 100 yards away from a service bay. And the tech had no control over it, the parts guy would send the oil to the bay. I imagine that the entire oil allotment could be in the lines. And yes, the buses were usually overfilled with oil so some extent.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:52 PM

757 posts, read 842,220 times
I make it a point to check my fluid levels before I leave the shop property. It is not unusual for shops to cut corners and hurry a job. Found my oil filler cap missing a few years back. It was still in the shop. Sad you cannot trust people to do their job but that is the way things seem to be all too often.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,923,443 times
before anyone panics about an extra quart of oil, its no big deal. more than that however does become an issue.

its an old racers trick to add an extra quart of oil, especially in ford small blocks, to prevent oil pressure issues during high g cornering, as well as preventing the oil pan from becoming dry at the end of a long straight.

that said however running extra oil in the pan on a street engine is a waste of money.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:49 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The shops go by how much oil the engine holds. Unfortunately, it doesn't take into account leftover oil that's still in the engine. You can never fully drain all the oil out of the engine because there are compartments inside the engine that still holds oil. This leftover oil can be as much as a quart or more.

I normally tell my shop to fill in about half a quart to a quart less than what their computer says to put in.
what "compartments" do you think there are where more than a quart of oil is leftover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Oh another thing...

Make sure you check your oil level when the engine is cool, preferably overnight. Best time to check is in the morning before you start the car.

Warm oil expands and not all of it will have settled so it will give you a false reading.

Same with tire pressure.
NO, and it should be in most owners manuals that you check it a couple minutes after you shut off the engine. When it is all warmed up, but after the engine has been shut off for a few minutes to allow the oil to drain into the pan. The expansion is the exact reason you check it when its warmed up.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:19 AM

9,556 posts, read 4,382,964 times
I've had several cars where the dipstick was incorrect. When filling the crankcase after an oil change per the service manual, the dipstick showed under or over filled. For some reason this seems to be more common on Ford vehicles I've owned.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:23 AM

5,688 posts, read 5,932,349 times
Extra smoothness??? Don't understand that statement, but if an extra quart made any of my engines run extra smooth, its going in there. It was probably fine.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:23 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,370,279 times
Imagine that your car needs 5.7 quarts of oil for a proper fill.

I always do the job myself and measure that exact amount.

But the quickie lube joint guy who is in a hurry will likely just dump in 6 quarts.

For way too many reasons to list here, I still do my own oil changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive