Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:20 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times

Advertisements

I found out that the 2004 Buick LeSabre (from the snow belt) that my deceased parents owned has major rust on the undercarriage and also on the brake lines. Sadly, the rest of the car is in excellent shape with only 32k miles, with leather seats including back seats that were never sat in.

We were told at a trusted car dealership we would only get a few hundred for it.

My question is would we be better off getting an estimate at a salvage yard? I would think the parts, including the engine, would be worth more than that. Does anyone have any idea if that is even worth our time checking it out?

Thanks for any input or information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
An excellent story for those in the Northern areas to get their cars professionally oil undercoated or professional Fluid Film.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
I thought most of those places just spray ATF or Brake Fluid underneath?

Then again here in the PNW we do not really have corrosion issues like the North East Coast so could be wrong.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:14 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
If it runs fairly well just sell it yourself (disclose the rust and ask a reasonable price) odds are some one will be willing to snap it up to drive into the ground for a season or two.

Also many informed buyers these day realize that a car of that age with mileage that low could turn out to be a real headache...price it accordingly

Old 10-28-2016, 09:17 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
Thanks for the responses.

We are really surprised my dad did not have the undercarriage protected. In fact, I wonder if he paid for it but got ripped off (in his 80s at the time). We will look through his papers but the damage is there so we have to deal with that.

We have the car now in an area that does not deal with rust and it is so bad quite large flakes could be pulled off by hand. We can't sell privately it as it would not be safe and I don't want to be sued.

Guess we will get a couple of estimates and move on - picking up my new car tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Put an ad on Craigslist and see what you get (IMO). Without pictures, it's hard to know to what extent the undercarriage is rusted, and whether it really means trouble for the car at this point, or whether the car can go another several years. A lot of cars last a surprisingly long time, even in rusty condition.

Even though you took it to a "trusted" dealer, there is really no saying how much profit they have baked into the deal, but probably a lot.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have lost several good cars to the Rust Demon. Most were mechanically sound but could not longer pass the Safety Inspection without more expense than getting another car.

Remember the parents and scrap the car.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:28 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I doubt a salvage yard will give you much for it. Yes, they will see money in the parts, but they will see it as profit in their pocket which they only get by paying you salvage rate for the car.

Are we talking about structure rotted away or surface rust? If just surface rust, the brake lines can be replaced and the car likely driven some time. If structure is rotted away, then maybe not.

Throw it on craigslist and sell it regardless.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:48 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
My truck falls into this category. It looks great inside and out but underneath is rusted. I don't have chunks falling off but I have had to replace some brakes lines and other things that rotted. I know it is only a matter of time but that is to be expected living in the Northeast.

If you trade it you will get less but your worry ends there. A private sale will get you more money but the car will need to pass a state inspection and in my state of Mass. the seller is liable for the safety part of the inspection.

If the frame is falling apart then it is time to junk it but if it is just parts like brake lines, exhaust or other metal lines than those can be replaced.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:48 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Donate it for the tax deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive