Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 04:33 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I do occasionally need to shuffle clients around and while I don't need black car level of service, normal-sized adults actually do need to be able to fit in the back seat relatively comfortably.
Forbes had a 6'2" person in the back seat of their tester and they said there was no shortage of head or legroom.
That's something that can't be said of many midsize cars nowadays. Some of them forfeit headroom or make you be a contortionist in the name of sleekness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 05:54 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's not the Volt with a very cramped back seat and no cargo room. The Volt is kind of like a Fiesta or Mazda2. It works in a pinch, but, yeah, definitely on the small size. The Bolt, just from specs, looks closer to the Prius than a Fiesta. In other words, it looks like a real compact car (Civic/Corolla) rather than a pint-sized car (Fiesta, Yaris). I haven't seen it in person but just looking at specs, yeah, I could probably get by with it. I do occasionally need to shuffle clients around and while I don't need black car level of service, normal-sized adults actually do need to be able to fit in the back seat relatively comfortably. Also having more cargo room than would impressive anything but a Miata owner is kind of a must, which also kills the Volt. External dimensions, yeah, the Bolt is small. It's much smaller than a Volt or Prius. Kind of like the Honda Fit. Tiny, but surprisingly practical. The Volt is more large and pretty useless. I'd much rather have small and practical. Makes parking easier. Ride and stuff like that, yeah, no getting around size.

I dunno about the Volt being useless. It's got a pretty good sized hatch, and mine swallowed a LOT of gear. The cargo hold is fairly deep in actual use.

Some in use:

I brought back a 55" TV in mine and a buddy took a new oven/range combo home in his. And I carried 4 adults in mine often, including my 6'4" son. True, it's not the level of comfort my 7 series has, but it's pretty good.

That being said, the Bolt looks better on all fronts, even though it's still a fairly small footprint. I'll definitely be checking them out when they arrive locally, especially that nice bright orange they come in:

Old 11-20-2016, 05:37 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Any thoughts about the tax credit for buying an EV? Is that expected to be around past 2017? Would it even be possible for a new administration to get it reversed retroactively?

Another question: is it possible to buy a converter so a bolt could be charged (very slowly) with a 110 outlet. Or even a drier plug? I'm thinking homestays for vacation. Or would have to plan on eating a lot of meals at Cracker Barrel? Are other chains known for having charging stations?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:53 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Any thoughts about the tax credit for buying an EV? Is that expected to be around past 2017? Would it even be possible for a new administration to get it reversed retroactively?

Another question: is it possible to buy a converter so a bolt could be charged (very slowly) with a 110 outlet. Or even a drier plug? I'm thinking homestays for vacation. Or would have to plan on eating a lot of meals at Cracker Barrel? Are other chains known for having charging stations?
You can charge a Bolt with 110v. It may even come with the necessary charging unit at no extra charge.
It just takes more than 2 days. My wife doesn't drive much and could easily do this.
Most Volts and ELRs are charged with a wall plug. It's one advantage of not having a giant battery.

There's no chance of a credit getting reversed retroactively.
I'm thinking it would be unconstitutional as ex post facto.

Any changes to the various credits would hurt Tesla far more than the other automakers.
The others only do EVs as a side business although GM seems far more serious about them than most.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-20-2016 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive