Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 11:14 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Oh, man! Chicken and wet dog. I think those are worse than cigarette. I once rented a place that smelled like dog. It took three months of perpetual cleaning to get rid of it.

My mom's old car had the cigarette stink problem. She'd stopped smoking, but she didn't care if everyone else did. When it was time to sell it, we had it detailed. My son took it to "the best guy in the area." We bought all of the options and gave him a nice tip to do a good job. He was great! We ended up selling the car to a young guy we knew. He came over to the house with his dad. Dad told his son that he couldn't smoke in the car because, obviously, no one ever had. We just started laughing and told him about grandma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:36 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Some people are far more sensitive to that than others. We bought a smokers car for my mother years ago. We put coffee grounds and vinegar soaked paper towels under the seats for a few weeks and that seemed to solve the problem.

When I worked at the dealership they had the ionizer machine and that worked fine as well. The Ionizer had a funky smell to it but that dissipated after not too long.

Given that its a Wrangler, and IIRC there isn't much that is soft and absorbent, a good couple hours of a wash rag and elbow grease could likely remove a lot of it.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:56 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
its a 95 wrangler. Couldn't you replace all the fabric covered interior for less than the cost of a detail?

Old 11-14-2016, 04:15 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
https://www.amazon.com/What-Odor-Eli.../dp/B003DNSRB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ucdbVY1V8k

I keep a gallon of it at my office. If you ever smelled diabetic feet with ulcers, you know why. It actually does take care even of that odor.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Talking Found.....ionizer elimating smoke smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My uncle is the proud new owner of a 1995 Jeep Wrangler. It's in great condition with low miles, but the only problem is a cigarette smoke smell.

Has anyone successfully removed a cigarette smoke smell from a vehicle? I'm guessing it would involve steam cleaning carpets, seats, and the headliner.
Yay... I found a car air purifier ionizer (O3) that actually completely destroyed smoke smell. About $20, leave plugged into power port in car. (I'm a smoker).

For in-home use I plan to buy an ozone generator. There is a wide variety of models to choose from prices starting from about $70.00 up through $1200.00 .

I usually shop online at Amazon.

Very important to read up on how it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Smoke smell-eco-breeze-car-air-ionize.jpg  

Old 01-22-2017, 09:01 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
If it's been smoked in for 22 years I highly doubt the smell can be completely removed.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
This past summer, my wife went grocery shopping and forgot to bring in a package of chicken. Nobody needed that car for like 3 days, so by the time it was discovered it was absolutely horrid.

Chicken + summer heat in Florida = disgusting mess.

We couldn't get the smell out. I tried everything for two months. We hired a local mobile detailer who came out and did a complete interior detail. They were able to remove the smell completely. No idea what they used, but I am amazed at their success. Bottom line, a pro should be able to get satisfactory results for you.
Great idea. Chicken (for fish) under the front seat will definitely make you forget about the smoke smell.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:51 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
This past summer, my wife went grocery shopping and forgot to bring in a package of chicken. Nobody needed that car for like 3 days, so by the time it was discovered it was absolutely horrid.

Chicken + summer heat in Florida = disgusting mess.

We couldn't get the smell out. I tried everything for two months. We hired a local mobile detailer who came out and did a complete interior detail. They were able to remove the smell completely. No idea what they used, but I am amazed at their success. Bottom line, a pro should be able to get satisfactory results for you.
For our Thanksgiving dinner, I decided to include a baked salmon dish in addition to the more traditional foods. I went to a specialty seafood market and purchased two whole halves of salmon (one entire piece, and then the other one "steaked."
On the way back from there, a buddy of mine invited me over to have a beer or two. I went to his house, we hung out for maybe an hour, then I went home.
I got home, unloaded the groceries (there was a bunch more stuff from BJ's) went inside and relaxed. The next morning, wife and I got busy cooking. I showed her the steaked fish. We prepped it and into the oven it went. We then went out of town the day after.
When we got back a few days later, I got in my car and almost died. I had forgotten that I had bought TWO halves, and not just the steaked one I had brought inside. It had stayed in the car for what must have been 5 days... In the Florida heat, which was in the mid 80s at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive