Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:34 PM

18,553 posts, read 15,639,349 times

Advertisements

Nothing as hilarious as the dealer offering to keep my $0 monthly payment the same when trading in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 01:42 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,119,405 times
On a lot of these schemes, buried in the fine print will be something about that deal only applying to one specific vehicle stock number. Then you go in to the dealer and they say "you just missed it, it sold an hour ago! but how about this other one? can't give you the same deal but i'm sure we can work out something to keep your payment the same!" They just want to get you in the door. Reminds me of those other mailings "Our used car department has a shortage of local well kept 2012 Burpmobiles! We'll pay top dollar for yours if you come in this weekend!" Yeah suuuuuuure.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:56 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,755,325 times
Instead of going in email them specs on your current car including outstanding loan amount: Model, mileage, condition, upgrades, etc. Link to a comparable new model (or the exact car mentioned in mailer) and have them draft out a sales agreement with trade in value and new payment terms.

See how far this gets you

Old 11-14-2016, 02:43 PM

176 posts, read 193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Of course, OP might be holding the very rare Golden Ticker Offer. It's like the Unicorn. Often talked about, never seen.
I am truly embarrassed for getting excited about this for like 2 mins

I just wanted to know the salesmen "modus operandi" by talking with you gentlemen

Old 11-14-2016, 03:34 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,178,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJacket View Post

I just wanted to know the salesmen "modus operandi" by talking with you gentlemen
The usual -- get you to spend money by convincing you to trade in your car on a new car.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:42 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,921,828 times
I wish I could get a deal like that. I have 2014 Chevrolet Cruze and a 2015 Equinox that I paid cash for and would love to trade them both in on new ones for the same payments.
Mine are in perfect condition and very low millage, but hey, I'll take the deal anyway... Free is good...

Old 11-14-2016, 03:57 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,537,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJacket View Post

The "modus operandi" is to get you in the door. They can't get you to sign the deal over the telephone or online. They need you with a pen in hand.

Of course if you believe this offer from the dealer I'll offer you a way to pay off the car. I have a bridge that goes from Manhattan to Brooklyn, I'll sell that to you cheap. If you charged a small toll for everyone that crossed it you'd be a millionaire.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:45 PM

17,676 posts, read 15,380,050 times
I thought this was going to be one of those situations like "I bought a brand new car less than a month ago, took it in for service, and they totalled it pulling out of the parking lot on a test drive" type situations.

And I was *STILL* going to be shocked that they offered a straight up swap in a case like that.

You really suckered me in, OP.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:55 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,265,926 times
People frequently ask if a car dealer is telling the truth or lying. But that question is a waste of time. No matter what a car dealer says, everybody knows they're lying. Why ask when you already know? They're just like lawyers and politicians. Lying is a big part of their business. The consider the whole world to be their suckers. They consider suckers to be the only possible way for them to make a living. They think if they give you an honestly good deal on a car, they will be failures in the sucker game. If a lawyer were to give you an honest opinion on how to resolve a dispute, it would be the same problem: they would be failing to take advantage of you as a sucker, and thereby failing to do their business properly. And of course politicians thrive on suckers. Millions of suckers. People who so much want to believe what the politician says, that they believe it even when it's obviously nothing but lies.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:03 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,304,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
The "modus operandi" is to get you in the door. They can't get you to sign the deal over the telephone or online. They need you with a pen in hand.

Of course if you believe this offer from the dealer I'll offer you a way to pay off the car. I have a bridge that goes from Manhattan to Brooklyn, I'll sell that to you cheap. If you charged a small toll for everyone that crossed it you'd be a millionaire.
Which one? A guy already sold me the Williamsburg with an option on the Manhattan bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive