Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 05:52 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I wonder how many people never heard the song 'you don't own me' before it was used in the commercial? I think Toyota has a senior or two working in the advertising department.
Toyota's ad agency probably has a great number of young un's working there as a new version of "You Don't Own Me" by Grace Sewell and rapper G-Eazy was used as Harley Quinn's theme song in the summer movie "Suicide Squad." It was a top 10 hit around the world and peaked at 22 on the Billboard charts so may millenials and Gen Z'ers are quite familiar with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 06:11 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
drop the yaris and fit if anything... they serve no practical purpose and don't get any better MPG than a V6 Camry such as the one I drive.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
People that buy Corollas just want a car that runs. It doesn't have to be good.
Adding independent suspension will only cut into Toyota's margins.
^^^Best Answer

I used to develop electronic components for autos. Meeting the cost goal is the highest objective. The business is about making reliable, predictable profits.

For Corolla customers, a torsion beam rear suspension and rear drum brakes (as on the LE) are just fine. These people just want a reliable appliance that cheaply gets them from A to B.

That's it.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:34 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
I love the new Corollas as it is one of the few small sized sedans you can still buy with a 6-speed manual transmission. This makes it a fun car to drive but I won't get one as it is too small for my needs.

What I don't like about Toyota is when they make something sporty, it is pretty much badges and wheels...nothing else. This is pretty much for any Toyota model in the US. The whole "TRD offroad" Tacoma is a pretty good example of that. The X-runner was different but Toyota discontinued them.

Why can't they make a car that has suspension and mechanical upgrades from the factory for those willing to pay a bit more? Other auto makers do it.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The current Corolla has a torsion beam rear suspension and shares its power train with the iM, a 5 door with all wheel independent suspension that some reviewers have said was a fun car to drive fast in the corners. The iM is a different platform from the current Corolla. Do you think Toyota should develop a sedan on the iM platform as the next generation Corolla and drop the current Corolla platform? If this platform handles as well as some reviews have said, should Toyota consider a slightly higher power engine option like the GT-S Models of the past?
No.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:49 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
^^^Best Answer

I used to develop electronic components for autos. Meeting the cost goal is the highest objective. The business is about making reliable, predictable profits.

For Corolla customers, a torsion beam rear suspension and rear drum brakes (as on the LE) are just fine. These people just want a reliable appliance that cheaply gets them from A to B.

That's it.
Hadn't Toyota been trying to attract a younger customer base for the Corolla hence the cosmetic redesign? Having an independent suspension doesn't necessarily mean sporty. It could also mean a smoother ride over bumps for regular models and a bit of tweaking for sport suspension if they decide to produce a sport model.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
They attract a younger audience by external changes. Sportier look will sell more than upgraded suspension which 90% won't even notice.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:37 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Younger buyers would be far more impressed with tech upgrades over suspension upgrades.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
^^^^^
Correct. More important than suspension and brakes is how many cup holders and radio station buttons on the steering wheel.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
The Corolla is perfect for its target market. If you want a sports car, buy one.

BTW, my daughter has a Yaris, her first car out of college & still going strong over 9 years later. NO WAY does a v6 Camry make the MPG of a Yaris!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive