Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 10:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
More and more newer cars are coming with LEDs & HIDs standard. They are brighter but I don't have an issue with them. Once and a while, I come across some that look like they weren't aimed correctly from the factory. What chaps my butt are the 10000K ricer blue lights people have in their 20 yr old Civics.

Night vision becomes more sensitive as we age so if the lights in newer cars are bothering you, I suggest paying the eye doctor a visit.
Why? That's violet light output. Quite dark. I laugh at that stuff, because my f150's parking lights alone are brighter than that junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 01:05 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
I have some very good, polycarbonate, wrap-around safety glasses, with blue-blocker coating, that I wear when riding a bike at night. They take care of this problem nicely and cut down all glare, without diminishing my visual acuity.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:15 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, that seems to start at about 45 and gets worse every year. I find that anti glare coating on my glasses helps some. Headlights are brighter, though, which is a good thing for the driver with a larger car or SUV, but bad for people with a small car where it hits them right between the eyes.
It started for me around 30 and I'm only 41 now. Anti-glare coating has helped on my latest glasses, but not a huge difference...and it makes the glasses a pain to clean.

It's definitely worse when there's a height disparity between the vehicles. When I'm driving my Mazda3, it's much worse than in my Mazda CX-9. The Mazda3 sits very low to the ground and truck/SUV lights are always right in my face. My CX-9 is a large crossover/SUV and I don't have nearly as many issues when I'm driving it.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:04 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
It's a combination of :

Lights getting brighter;

People whop are too stupid or lazy or ignorant to aim them properly;

Inspection stations no longer checking for correct headlight aim;

No enforcement from traffic cops (but don't get seen with a phone in your hand or no seatbelt);

Super bright [illegal for road use] after-market 'driving lights';

Aftermarket DL not correctly aimed;

No enforcement on after-market DL (and aiming);

An attitude of "As long as *I* can see, everyone else can just go to Hades";

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been a number of threads on this subject lately, probably would take an act of Congress and a hatfull of new laws to change it (like we need any more new laws picking out itty bitty bits of behavior).

I have driving/fog lights on some vehicles, with lights ready to be installed in the rest...but I know how to aim them properly. CORRECTLY aimed driving/fog lights don't bother other drivers. (They are practically a necessity here, due to weather conditions.)

Old 12-05-2016, 09:22 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
I have the same problem with those bluish-tinted headlights. They are painful when viewing them in oncoming traffic.
I've been wondering what I'll do when all the headlights are like that.

It's good to know that others are bothered by them too. I thought it was just me.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:15 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
More and more newer cars are coming with LEDs & HIDs standard. They are brighter but I don't have an issue with them. Once and a while, I come across some that look like they weren't aimed correctly from the factory. What chaps my butt are the 10000K ricer blue lights people have in their 20 yr old Civics.

Night vision becomes more sensitive as we age so if the lights in newer cars are bothering you, I suggest paying the eye doctor a visit.
I'd meet up with the eye doc, but I also went and bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Vision-...vision+glasses

Helps me a lot and I bought 2 pair, but am down to one and will be reordering a another pair as my (don't say anything) older sister has issues also....

Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

People whop are too stupid or lazy or ignorant to aim them properly;
AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

"People who are..."

It's the keyboard's fault, really, it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I have the same problem with those bluish-tinted headlights. They are painful when viewing them in oncoming traffic.
I've been wondering what I'll do when all the headlights are like that.

It's good to know that others are bothered by them too. I thought it was just me.
I have this urge to mount a light bar on the roof, with a half a dozen multi-million candlepower 'Sun' lights on it (facing forward AND rearward)...and then, to heck with all the other pusswads with *their* bright lights...yippy ki-yay mother...

Old 12-05-2016, 12:27 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
We live "...where the deer and the antelope play..." on the highway. A lot. We drop our speeds after dark from 55 or 65 to about 35 for just this reason.

When one of these knuckleheads comes at us with these bizarre bright white set of headlights, it literally brings us to a stop. We can't see forward and we certainly can't see the next three-point, 150 pound mulie (that's a young male deer) that is going to fold up my hood like an origami exhibit.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:41 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
It's not that headlights are getting brighter, it's that they've taken on a cooler color temperature that is more susceptible to glare. Get a decent pair of night-driving glasses, they are a very simple yet effective countermeasure.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,124 times
Along the same line of thought, I have noticed the police lights being much brighter lately as well. They'll be on the side of the road responding to an accident, and possibly contributing to a new accident with their blinding lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive