Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:35 PM

508 posts, read 527,770 times

Advertisements

Toyota Camry Valve Cover Gasket (OEM OR. Aftermarket)?

Thanks for replies to my posting.

I have 1999 Camry 5SFE, 2.2 (4CYL). I posted a issue

Why does shop fill Oil above FULL level?

I learned that I need to replace the valve cover Gasket and spark plus seals fix the issue.

Do you guys just recommend the OEM gasket or aftermarket?

How did OEM and aftermarket valve cover gasket work in your car?

Which one did last longer?

I did search on internet threads where folks suggested FEL-PRO brand. I did check with Toyota dealers, each one give different OEM Part number for same VIN#.I am not sure, how is it possible.

One telling me Valve Cover Gasket. and spark plug seals come as one piece. Does Toyota make like this?

What is the correct OEM Part # and after market part # for my car?

I am looking to work with mechanic to take out oil from spark plug tube and install Valve Cover Gasket + O seals.

What is the reasonable labor hours/charges?

Is there any thing else,I need to check during this process?

Comment and recommendation would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,137 times
Slow down, cowboy. I think you need to do your own homework regarding some of the questions here. Call a dealership or a parts store and ask about the part numbers. Maybe look on ToyotaNation forum for some answers.

What I will suggest is that you go with OEM. Aftermarkets can sometimes be just slightly off enough that the part (in this case, gasket) won't fit correctly. Spend the few extra $$ and go with OEM and you won't have to worry about fitment issues. The valve cover gasket should come with the seals for the plug tubes. As far as labor, you'd probably get charged an hour, which could be $80+ depending on the shop. If you have a few basic tools and some mechanical knowledge, you can easily replace it yourself. This is also a good time to clean your valve cover if its coated in grime. You can use Simple Green or another engine degreaser to clean it up while its removed from the car.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:53 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Slow down, cowboy. I think you need to do your own homework regarding some of the questions here. Call a dealership or a parts store and ask about the part numbers. Maybe look on ToyotaNation forum for some answers.

What I will suggest is that you go with OEM. Aftermarkets can sometimes be just slightly off enough that the part (in this case, gasket) won't fit correctly. Spend the few extra $$ and go with OEM and you won't have to worry about fitment issues. The valve cover gasket should come with the seals for the plug tubes. As far as labor, you'd probably get charged an hour, which could be $80+ depending on the shop. If you have a few basic tools and some mechanical knowledge, you can easily replace it yourself. This is also a good time to clean your valve cover if its coated in grime. You can use Simple Green or another engine degreaser to clean it up while its removed from the car.
The opposite can be true as well.. The aftermarket can correct some of the original issues that cause it to leak in the first place.

On something like a valve cover gasket... I almost always go with aftermarket due to that.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
I've seen FelPro valve cover gaskets and seals used on these engines with excellent results in the years when I was traveling my 4-state region calling on automotive repair shops.

In my area, Toyota dealers are few and far between (hours away distances) compared to the numerous automotive parts stores ... O'Reilly, NAPA, Checker, AutoZone, etc. ... in many small towns. Hence the auto repair shops are reliant upon the aftermarket sources for a timely supply of routine service items. It's pretty rare that the dealer item is preferred for this type of work.

For this project, I'd let cost be your guide. IIRC, the molded rubber gasket for the Toyota VC is a pricey item, over $30 for the bare gasket. FelPro supplies just the gasket and then the sparkplug tube seals in two kits, or you can buy it as a single kit for approximately the same cost. There does seem to be some ambiguity on this in the computer parts programs at the aftermarket parts stores. You may have to have the parts store put all of the possible packages on the counter and then select the package(s) that meet your engine needs for gasket and seals.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:31 AM

191 posts, read 344,594 times
Either gasket brand will seal fine.

Whether you do the work yourself or have someone else do it, make sure the plug under the driver's side rear cap is resealed. This plug is where the distributor would normally be on earlier models. It is one of the most common places on that 2.2 engine to leak and is often overlooked when someone replaces the valve cover gasket. There is not an actual seal for this plug, it takes a thin bead of RTV.

99 Camry Oil Leak HELP! Valve Cover? Something Else!!?? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 12-11-2016, 01:00 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
On a four banger valve cover and tube seals are about 20 minute job.
I do aftermarket rubber gasket. I use sealant on them in addition. I replaced countless VC gaskets and tube seals and never had a problem with aftermarket but I stay away from cork ones.
Yes, they normally come as a complete kit for anywhere between 20 and 30 bucks. I always buy 2nd from the bottom price.
Why do you need a MECHANIC to wrap some rag around long screwdriver and wipe plug tubes clean?
Spark plugs. Are you reusing them? Then you MUST take them to butane torch and burn tips white hot to clean them. Plugs are cheap, I'd simply buy new ones. NGKs of course.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The opposite can be true as well.. The aftermarket can correct some of the original issues that cause it to leak in the first place.

On something like a valve cover gasket... I almost always go with aftermarket due to that.
Fair enough. I've just run into so many fitment issues with aftermarket parts that I tend to buy OEM for gaskets and seals if I need them.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:43 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,981 times
Fel-pro. The most expensive one. No sealant, just a little oil on the gasket so it slips into place. Same for the rings around the plugs. I've done this on multiple vehicles and never had one leak after.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:04 PM

Oh, and be careful if you must scrape the gasket material off of the mating surface of the cylinder head. Aluminum is easy to gouge. I've used a green Scotch Brite pad and a razor blade with success.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 PM

508 posts, read 527,770 times
Thanks for your replies.

I find aftermarket FEL-PRO Valve Cover Gasket comes as KIT (Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plug Tube Seals & Half Moon End Seals), but OEM listed as Valve Cover Gasket only. I did not find Spark Plug Tube Seals.

Does OEM come as Valve Cover Gasket comes -KIT? What is the part number for it?

Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive