Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 PM

299 posts, read 439,746 times

Advertisements

I was making a left turn at night from a left turn lane. There was a bunch of road work on the other side of the road where I was suppose to turn left. It was pitch black and I accidentally turned into the wrong way's left hand turn lane (wrong way driving). There was a cop on the other end of the road who was blocked off by the road work. I quickly reversed and pulled out of the wrong left hand turn lane and went into the correct lane, in the right direction. I thought he was going to follow me and give me a ticket. But he didn't.
I am super anxious/ nervous that something will happen. I've never made any sort of mistake like this. I don't know how I didn't see the divider and how I ended up going the wrong-way. I hadn't been drinking or anything.

I'm just extremely anxious. I'm thankful nothing happened (that no one got hurt). But, I'm still shaking from being so nervous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 09:49 PM

1,850 posts, read 819,921 times
If the cop was blocked off from you, what do you think he's going to do? Radio an APB for your car description so they can give you a ticket? By the way, cops often ignore lots of violations. Like, you can speed past a cop as long as it's not egregious. They usually don't care. I saw a guy literally cut off a cop, which was hilarious. If I was the cop, I definitely would have pulled him over, but the cop just hit the brakes and didn't do anything.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 PM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Cops are people, too. Maybe he saw what you did and saw why it happened and got on the radio to have someone come and fix it. Maybe you were the 15th car in a row to do that.

Quit shaking.
Breathe.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 PM

To be honest - I'm a pretty new driver, so I'm not sure what cops will and won't do. I've never been in an accident or gotten a ticket. I've been driving about 6 years - but this is the first time I've been driving in a big city.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Cops are people, too. Maybe he saw what you did and saw why it happened and got on the radio to have someone come and fix it. Maybe you were the 15th car in a row to do that.

Quit shaking.
Breathe.
Thanks .... you made me feel better! I was actually surprisingly calm when it happened. I backed out and waited to see if there were any cars coming and got out of the wrong way left turn lane and went the right direction. As soon as I was out I started shaking. I just cant believe I made that sort of mistake and that the road work and the lights on the other side of the road blinded me so much that I went in the complete wrong direction. Ugh!

Old 12-15-2016, 02:11 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
The officer probably realized you were confused due to the ongoing construction. You probably weren't the first one he saw do that. I saw someone do the exact same thing last night. I'm approaching the intersection in the number two left turn lane when someone making a left turn turns into the number one left turn lane, going the wrong direction. Only there was no construction. He figured it out and swung a u turn. Lucky for him no police were around, even though the police station was 100 feet away.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:03 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,481 times
He was probably on his computer answering his email had not clue what happened. I have observed this quite frequently in recent years. When the police are sitting in parking lots, side roads, etc, they are often on their pc's and they don't look up very often. Could be filling out reports, answering email, or doing Christmas shopping.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 AM

997 posts, read 936,482 times
There is nothing to worry about. It was an honest mistake. People make mistakes. It isn't a crime to make a mistake, though it could be if the cop decided to write you a ticket for it.

I made a mistake and I got a ticket. In other words, what I did wasn't willful or intentional disregard of the law. It was a boo boo.

What you did was a boo boo.

The construction that was going on made it confusing and nobody was trying to make an example of you. There was no problem. It was a lesson in being careful about traffic detours and that is it.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:16 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
I switched from a right turn lane to a through lane this morning when the light changed, in front of two cops. Neither one did anything. They're not going to mail me a ticket, nor will they mail you one. Just do your best to not make that mistake again. The scariest thing isn't a ticket. The scariest thing is if someone was coming the other way in that lane.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:48 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Don't worry about it. If he didn't pull you over your fine! They don't track people down unless it's a hit and run situation. He either didn't see it or saw that it was clearly a mistake. Calm down, it's all good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive