Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:18 PM

366 posts, read 730,907 times

Advertisements

Yes you read that right. The brake was halfway set while my daughter drove it around for about 30-45 minutes until the brakes in the back failed. She was able to stop the car and after letting it sit for awhile was able to drive it to the shop and have it checked out. The shop said that the pads and rotors were shot and had to be replaced. My daughter said she did not hear any noises from the brakes while applying them after becoming aware of the brake problem.

So what do you think? Was the shop just looking to sell us new pads and rotors? Or was replacing the pads and rotors the right thing to do considering the safety factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 07:59 PM

676 posts, read 726,157 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the pads and rotors needed to be replaced. If the breaks actually quit working it sounds like they got pretty hot.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Yes, they need replaced. The heat burned up the pads and probably warped the rotors.

It always surprises me that people take their cars to a mechanic to find out what is wrong, and then turn to people on the internet to question if they are being ripped off or not.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I agree, they need replacement after that. I wonder if the parking brake switch needs adjusting, or she just ignored the light on the dash.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Probably didn't do your transmission any good either. Not to the point of ruining it, but the excessive drag would have worked it harder and hotter.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 AM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Haven't we done it...

I'd give some credit to shop on that. It's plausible. There is no way to tell from HERE without seeing that car.
What they REALLY need to do is to replace ENTIRE brake fluid. Thing is, as I know what I am talking about, brake fluid boils and deteriorates rather quickly in situation like this. I am surprised she did not see any smoke from the rear but....
So anyway, that brake fluid is simply not safe to drive around with. Sorry. Has to be done. Complete flush.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:02 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
Yes you read that right. The brake was halfway set while my daughter drove it around for about 30-45 minutes until the brakes in the back failed. She was able to stop the car and after letting it sit for awhile was able to drive it to the shop and have it checked out. The shop said that the pads and rotors were shot and had to be replaced. My daughter said she did not hear any noises from the brakes while applying them after becoming aware of the brake problem.

So what do you think? Was the shop just looking to sell us new pads and rotors? Or was replacing the pads and rotors the right thing to do considering the safety factor?
What, she didn't see the light on the dash? Will first there are separate pads for the emergency brakes. So the most that would happen is that they'd be ground down to bare metal, which she probably did. But I'm guessing your regular pads were probably near end of life. Thus might as well replace all the pads including the front. As to the rotors, I'll venture a guess that she did some excessive speeding and cracked one of the rotors and if you're going to replace one, might as well replace both.

As my kids are already grown up and I've pretty much heard everything, here's something to think about:

How can one tell if a teenager is lying? They stop talking.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:55 PM

366 posts, read 730,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

It always surprises me that people take their cars to a mechanic to find out what is wrong, and then turn to people on the internet to question if they are being ripped off or not.

Yes. I understand where you're coming from. In this instance it was my daughter that questioned why the work was done when I charged her 1/2 of the bill that was due. She thought my mechanic, who I've dealt with for years, had ripped us off. I told her I would get on this forum and solicit opinions from people who have no dog in the hunt.

So thank you all who responded and it seems most validated the action of my mechanic.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:54 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post

There is a good chance that the mechanic is correct. If the brakes failed more than likely the pads, brake fluid and rubber parts, plus the rotors were damaged. All depends on the amount of heat generated. But in general the rotors can be saved if not warped by the heat.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yes, they need replaced. The heat burned up the pads and probably warped the rotors.

I dont see the problem with it. There is a stigma around mechanics and being less than honest. Nothing wrong with asking an automotive forum "does this sound plausible?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive