Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Only if you can't afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:08 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I've got the itch for a new (used) vehicle and I'm looking at full size luxury SUVs, in particular the Lexus LX 570. A 5-6 year old model with around 60k miles goes for about $40k which is half of what it cost new. Apparently these things hold their value.
I don't think it's crazy at all. The LX 570 is literally a slightly dressed-up Toyota Land Cruiser, and that is meant as a high compliment! The Land Cruiser is revered around the world for its indestructible nature. The vehicle's sheer size and fuel economy are the only negatives, but if you're already familiar with those, I say go for it!

If you decide against the LX 570 or want to save some $$$, would the slightly smaller GX fit your needs? The current generation GX 460 was introduced in 2010 (and I'm not a fan of their looks), but a 2009 GX 470 is an exceptional deal! My cousin has a 2007 GX 470 with 170k trouble-free miles, all spent in Los Angeles gridlock. But it still feels like a new car after nine years and 170k miles...great vehicle! It's just a thought.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:51 AM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I owned 2 LXs. It was a great vehicle. We called it the big comfy truck. I always felt safe driving it, even on icy and snowy hills. Second one was about 7 years old when we traded it in for a year old RX Hybrid. I loved the big comfy truck (best front seats ever!) The issue became the expense of maintenance. New tires--drop a couple thousand. New brakes--drop a couple thousand. Routine maintenance--drop a $1000. We decided we wanted to spend our money on other things.

As others said, look at the mileage and find out when the costly things like brakes and tires were last replaced.
You must have bumped your head and either thought your Mercedes was a Lexus, or you took your Lexus to a Mercedes dealer as there's laws set by Lexus that parts can't break, and can't cost that much for anything!!

Old 12-22-2016, 08:03 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Lol because a 5 year old vehicle is a money pit. Especially a Japanese built Lexus flagship.

/sarc. I imagine it will be of little concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
What maintenance are you talking? Mileage plays a larger factor than year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What? Change the serpentine belt, trans fluid and maybe a coolant flush?

Really don't think he's too concerned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The issue became the expense of maintenance. New tires--drop a couple thousand. New brakes--drop a couple thousand. Routine maintenance--drop a $1000. We decided we wanted to spend our money on other things.

As others said, look at the mileage and find out when the costly things like brakes and tires were last replaced.

yep, I stand correct. There is potential maintenance. I have owned a few Lexuses myself. Its a reliable car but it there is a costs associated and its not dirt cheap as a Toyota generally

Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You must have bumped your head and either thought your Mercedes was a Lexus, or you took your Lexus to a Mercedes dealer as there's laws set by Lexus that parts can't break, and can't cost that much for anything!!
I went on Simple Tire and priced out tires for an LX570.
I could not spend 2 grand on tires if I tried. Every set of tires they offered was less than $1K except one.

Basically they were about the same as any other truck. Same for brake parts.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:10 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
I think it is, but with other priorities, sometimes that's the only way to get into a nice M5. In general though, spending that much on a used anything is kind of repulsive.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:22 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
yep, I stand correct. There is potential maintenance. I have owned a few Lexuses myself. Its a reliable car but it there is a costs associated and its not dirt cheap as a Toyota generally
But that is not how you worded it. The age of the car has nothing to do with it. They all go through wear items. New or used. And you do not have to spend 2 grand on tires or on brakes for that vehicle. That is either a silly exaggeration or the confessions of someone loose with their money.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:50 AM

633 posts, read 581,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I just can't swallow that.. and I like Chevy Tahoes... is that on a 10 year loan? I remember when 4 year loans were the max...
I bought one for wife with a 7 year zero interest free loan and the payments are still high.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:08 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Although I could comfortably afford it, $40k just seemed like a lot to drop on a used car that's already been redesigned. I guess I could look at it another way and say I'm guaranteed to lose less on depreciation than the original owner did! I don't care for having the newest luxury car. I was originally looking at Land Cruisers, but noticed the LX 570 is around the same price and feels more luxurious inside. I'll probably end up looking for both and buy whichever one comes along first. I still have a lot of time to think about this purchase, I'm waiting for my parents to move here first.
The Toyota V8 is pretty much bullet proof. We bought a 2005 4Runner v8 with 50k on the clock back in 2008 for $19k. Drove it trouble-free to 125k miles (2012) with zero issues. Traded it in (got $16k trade value) for a Certified 2008 Volvo XC90 with 30k on the clock as a knee-jerk reaction to a friend who was severely hurt in a rollover accident in a Chevy truck. We have two little kids, so I went with the safest car possible for them. Although safe, that Volvo was a pile of junk. Replaced it within 18 months for a new 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited. Have 70k on the clock now, and not a single problem. Still as smooth and quiet as the day we got it.

BUT, and this is coming from a previous Lexus owner of a GS430 and LS430.... you really don't want to have to repair an air-suspension setup. Avoid that option on a used car. It can cost a couple of thousand per wheel to replace. And as good as Lexus is, no air suspension setup is going to last as long as a normal setup. The GX series had a self-leveling system in the back, and caused a lot of expensive problems for their owners over the years. It's just not a perfected system. If Toyota can't perfect it. Then I doubt anyone can. And when they fail, you have no choice but to pony-up and replace it. Otherwise the car is basically a paper weight because one side is sitting on top of the wheel. It's not like a failing strut where you slowly start to feel a little more sway and bounce in the car. I've personally never known anyone who had this feature, and bought it again.

This is one of the primary reasons why you see the Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser for around the same price, if not a little less, on the used car market. The cars are so smooth to begin with, you really don't need an air suspension setup to begin with. It's a novelty, in my opinion. Personally speaking, I won't buy another Lexus vehicle in general again. I spent thousands for that "smooth and quiet" feeling. Then would get into a V6 Camry, and could hardly tell the difference between the two in that regard. Sure, the appointments are nicer in the Lexus. But mechanically, especially when you stick your head under the hood and see "ToyoCorp" stamped all over, there's not enough difference to justify the price increase. The wife's 2013 Highlander Limited, honestly speaking, feels just like the Lexus RX series in nearly every aspect (except the wooden steering wheel). Costs far less.

Also, if you do buy the LX....take it to a Toyota shop for service and not the Lexus shop. Same oil filter and oil between the two, but costs about 40% less at a Toyota dealer than at the Lexus dealer. They even have the same free cookies.

Last edited by NC211; 12-22-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I just can't swallow that.. and I like Chevy Tahoes... is that on a 10 year loan? I remember when 4 year loans were the max...
I remember when 36 month loans were the norm. In my day the $40K would have been high for a new vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive