Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times

Advertisements

Got my brother-in-law's 2003 honda accord (repaired accident damage) with 35k miles for $500. I know i'll never get a deal like that in a long time so I plan to drive the wheels off it.

Got my father-in-law's 2000 Subaru impreza (unrepaired accident) with 100k miles for free but had to put $1,600 in mechanical repairs to get it running.

I consider myself lucky to acquire 2 cars. I could have acquired a 2010 Accord from family for $7k but didn't have the cash and now it's gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Sold my 16 year old car 10 months ago got a Camry xle V6... Its fun enough to drive I plan to keep another 15 years unless I hit a 10 bagger in stock market. Guy I work with is great at finding cars at auction, driving em a year and selling em for break even.... Gone through 50+ cars in his life this way really nice ones. Kind of jealous lol.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:36 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
I am leasing presently and plan to pay cash for a good car coming off lease when my lease is over.My lease is a 2015 Altima SV and I drive about 9,800 miles a year. In 2018 the residual value will be 18k. Would you guys recommend I just by my lease ?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
Are these prices remotely close to what's quoted in KBB or NADA? NADA quotes prices even less, so I would make an offer based on price quoted in that guide. If they refuse, tell the seller that he is way out of line with his asking price. I'd question how he arrived at the asking price. Humans, by nature, always think their assets are worth more than they really are (houses, cars, etc.) and sometimes need a reality check.
And unfortunately KBB and NADA doesn't mean crap anymore. My F350 has a book of $4500. There is no way in hell I would sell it for that. You can question my decision all you want.

The thing is just because you think it's overpriced doesn't mean everyone thinks it's overpriced.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 01-07-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
None of these seem like particularly great deals. I always give up on the idea and decide to keep driving what I have. Anyone else feel the same? I mean as long as my car still runs fine and is reliable I can't see how a newer car would be so much better driving that it would be worth spending that much. Sure they're nice and all, but is it really that great to have a newer car vs an older one that justifies spending that much?
I feel your pain. The price of a new truck is just nuts. Completely nuts.

Part of the reason is mandated safety technology such as the TPMS system, ABS, backup cameras, etc. Part of the reason is available safety technology such as lane keeping assistance, collision avoidance braking, traction control, etc. Some is convenience such as bluetooth, USB, HDD, navigation, etc.

I've resisted upgrading my 05 Durango because of the price of a new SUV, but I'm beginning to come around based on safety. I'm getting older now, and my reflexes are not as good as they used to be, and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. I can see that the plethora of safety systems on a new vehicle would be good for me and those around me, even though they are expensive.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:31 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
With all of the above & friend's paperwork, still walked out of dealership 3 times. Eventually bought a 2008 Kia Optima stickered for almost $20K for about $11K, OTD with TTL $12.6K.
Wow! You're a great negotiator. Can I pay you to negotiate the price on my next new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Regular synthetic oil changes, of course...In the meantime, will take good care of it & keep going and going and going ...
Have you sent a sample of your used motor oil off for analysis?

Old 01-07-2017, 09:27 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
And unfortunately KBB and NADA doesn't mean crap anymore. My F350 has a book of $4500. There is no way in hell I would sell it for that. You can question my decision all you want.

The thing is just because you think it's overpriced doesn't mean everyone thinks it's overpriced.
Same thing here. KBB for my K3500 is $3500, but you can't find a comparable truck for less than $10,000 actually for sale. Of course dealers all swear by KBB for trade in values, one offered $2500.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I feel your pain. The price of a new truck is just nuts. Completely nuts.

Part of the reason is mandated safety technology such as the TPMS system, ABS, backup cameras, etc. Part of the reason is available safety technology such as lane keeping assistance, collision avoidance braking, traction control, etc. Some is convenience such as bluetooth, USB, HDD, navigation, etc.

I've resisted upgrading my 05 Durango because of the price of a new SUV, but I'm beginning to come around based on safety. I'm getting older now, and my reflexes are not as good as they used to be, and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. I can see that the plethora of safety systems on a new vehicle would be good for me and those around me, even though they are expensive.
I don't get it. With the vast wealth you have constantly stated you have on the forums, why would you even bat an eye at the cost of a new SUV?

Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I have a 2014 Durango Citadel and most of those items you mention are NOT mandated. Almost all of them were upgrade OPTIONS. ABS is standard now pretty much. Backup cameras - total upgrade package. Lane assist - upgrade. Collision avoidance breaking - upgrade. Traction control - upgrade. Dodge - as every manufacturer - has a ton of upgrade packages available. Some are cooler features than others.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I agree that 40k miles on a car that's four-years-old is not a big deal at all. The price is also pretty fair for an asking price, and you can negotiate. You may need to look at a larger car market to find a better price, where there are more vehicles for sale. Even in the same metro area, there are dealers who are more competitive in prices, but generally used cars tend to be where some dealers make markup, hence why a new car can be a better value.

With the aforementioned Versa, I doubt Nissan is losing money on them because the cars really are that cheap. You definitely feel like you are in a tin can when driving one. I would purchase an older used car for that budget, something substantial that had safety features ahead of its time, like a Volvo or Mercedes, before a new Versa. I'd trust the Mercedes and Volvo more in a crash too.

New car dealers may not always be the best sources for a used car because most are picky about what can sell on their lot, especially if they are certified, but you get the extra warranty with many CPO programs, which results in a higher price, but the vehicle is inspected and warranted for a period of time, even if the original factory warranty is in place.

I find that dealers who sell auction cars tend to have crazy prices relative to the value because there is no history on the vehicle in many cases. I would look for a new car dealer for a CPO or from a private owner with records if looking used, avoiding the used car lots that sell all manner of vehicles.

Prices are fairly high, but I don't think the Kia is too bad at $14k asking, especially if well equipped with 40k miles.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive