Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:51 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzlf View Post
Alright, XC60 it is, but now I am thinking for $30K I can get a mid sized suv brand new, maybe add a bit more to go over the base model. Since 5 seats are enough for me, all city driving, I am looking at Ford Edge, Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango... etc. Which one give the best for the buck? Thanks.
Best bang for the buck? An Outback that is ordered rather than in dealer inventory. Many places in the country, you can buy them for a couple percent below invoice. $25K to $26K will get you a premium trim level with the Eyesight adaptive cruise control as the only option. That's by far the best value proposition. $30K-ish should get you the Limited trim level 4-cylinder with the option package that gives you Eyesight, sunroof, keyless entry/pushbutton start, the better head unit with NAV, and power liftgate. The 6-cylinder is somewhat more. $34K to $35K fully loaded.

That's with destination charge and their bogus "document prep fee" but not sales taxes, title, or registration. There are also parts of the country where you don't get that kind of discount. Dig through the "prices paid" thread on Outback.org: MSRP/INVOICE/PURCHASE PRICE thread - Page 404 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Most Subaru dealerships won't have a 6-cylinder in inventory. Subaru limits production to keep their fleet CAFE fuel economy numbers down. I had to borrow one from a neighbor. It totally changes the personality of the car. I doubt you could get a 6-cylinder with option package 23 for less than $34K but that's the smoothest driving Subaru.

By the time you put any options on a Grand Cherokee, they are really expensive.

The Korean cars keep getting better. I still have a big brand stigma problem but that's also going to have really good bang for the buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 03:28 PM

69 posts, read 121,578 times
Thanks GeoffD. I am driving outback now. Everything is good except for the hight/head room. I am a little short (less that 6 feet) and rather have a real SUV with more headroom.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Thanks GeoffD. I am driving outback now. Everything is good except for the hight/head room. I am a little short (less that 6 feet) and rather have a real SUV with more headroom.
What generation of Outback? The 3rd generation Outback up through the 2009 model year is only suitable for elves, dwarves, and midgets. The 4th generation got much bigger. The 5th generation from 2015 onwards is even a bit bigger. I'm 6'2". A 5th generation Outback is spacious.

If you want a taller seating position, delete the sunroof and you get about 2" more headroom. You can crank the seat up all the way. I have the sunroof and I have the seat all the way down. I have plenty of headroom. With the camera-based Eyesight adaptive cruise control system, they can't tint a stripe at the top of the windshield. That creates even more perception of headroom if you have the seat cranked up.

At least on the 6-cylinder, if you want Eyesight, you have to order option package 23 which includes the sunroof. My next door neighbors have a 4-cylinder premium trim with Eyesight and nothing else. I'm not sure what's possible on the 4-cylinder limited trim level. I've kind of gotten used to all the gadgets on the option package 23 limited trim level. Who knew that keyless entry/pushbutton start, remote power liftgate, and adaptive cruise control would become must-haves for me?

If you want to tower over everything, get a Denali/Suburban. Anything on a full size pickup chassis towers over a crossover. Of course, you only want to pay $30K. That's not how full size SUVs are priced.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
check here.... Car Reliability Comparisons

Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 PM

I try to stay away from Japanese cars now as they feel so "thin". I once read a post here that a Mazda cx-5 got a door dent because of a dog tail swing. I can feel and hear the bent of the surface metal when leaning on the door of my outback... Anyhow, most of cars these days do this to cut the weight and save MPG, sign...

Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Alright, XC60 it is, but now I am thinking for $30K I can get a mid sized suv brand new, maybe add a bit more to go over the base model. Since 5 seats are enough for me, all city driving, I am looking at Ford Edge, Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango... etc. Which one give the best for the buck? Thanks.
The Edge might be more reliable longer term than the Durango and Cherokee. I'd actually look at a GM, though, before the Durango or Cherokee, such as the Buick Enclave or Chevrolet Equinox, which are decent mid-sized vehicles and have good reliability ratings, on par with the Edge, whereas the Durango and Grand Cherokee tend to be average to below average.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-17-2017, 08:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The Edge might be more reliable longer term than the Durango and Cherokee. I'd actually look at a GM, though, before the Durango or Cherokee, such as the Buick Enclave or Chevrolet Equinox, which are decent mid-sized vehicles and have good reliability ratings, on par with the Edge, whereas the Durango and Grand Cherokee tend to be average to below average.
I agree with this post.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I agree with this post.
EDGE seems pretty nice, but how about the new Murano? I guess you either like it or hate it the new exterior...

Old 01-25-2017, 01:08 PM

604 posts, read 653,270 times
For me it all about drivability.

Since I did not drive the XC60 I cannot express an opinion, however I know enough not to confuse old Swidish Volvo and the new Chinese owned Volvo cars.

I drove a Tuareg TDI in Germany for a week and fell in love it with it (for an SUV). Especially at speeds well over 130MPH the Tuareg still feels like a tank (no vibration and quiet interior). I highly doubt the Outback would provide that type of feeling...

After all the Tuareg is the sibling of the Porsche & Audi larger SUVs, so performance (less stringent of course) is a given.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 AM

So here is the update. I was cleaning the car the other day. As I am short, had to climb on the hood to for a spot at the top center of the windshield. Guess what, the push of my knee made a dent on the hood, of my 2013 outback...

Is there any family suv these days, with solid hood, that you can dance on it? Maybe XC60 can do it, not sure about MDX as you guys suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive