Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:49 AM

23 posts, read 24,981 times

Advertisements

Shell, Exxon/Mobil, Lucas Oil, PEAK, you name it

Will they all be gone by then? Whenever going to an AutoZone or the auto section in some grocery section we will won't longer see oils in the shelves? And gas stations will completely go extinct? How do you feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
They're not going anywhere. Planes, boats, cars, trucks, etc all run on some kind of fuel and that's not going to change. Yes a few more cars are going to be electric, which even I have no problem with , (Though I have no interest in owning one) but not every one is going full electric. Besides, there will always be planes,helicopters, boats (both pleasure and commercial), ships, heavy construction equipment, generators, etc, etc, which will need some kind of fuel to operate.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
No.

Plastics, insulation, food, medicine, - all made from oil/petroleum products.

We may move to some different type of transportation but the IC cars will still be around. Our family had two cars that are 30+ years old. Newer cars seem to hold up better, so there should be more and re older cars on the road as years go by. They have not even found a viable practical alternative to internal combustion vehicles yet. It is not likely they will discovery something, develop it and replace a hundred million or so vehicles within 30 years.

Extent your query to 150 years, and I think it is more possible, however I will be surprising if plastic and some of the medicine and food products go away by then.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Not going to happen in your life time, my life time or my kids life time. Maybe in 100+ years, but not any time soon.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:51 AM

23 posts, read 24,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
They're not going anywhere. Planes, boats, cars, trucks, etc all run on some kind of fuel and that's not going to change. Yes a few more cars are going to be electric, which even I have no problem with , (Though I have no interest in owning one) but not every one is going full electric. Besides, there will always be planes,helicopters, boats (both pleasure and commercial), ships, heavy construction equipment, generators, etc, etc, which will need some kind of fuel to operate.
Why don't you have an interest in owning an electric car?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:47 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistet78 View Post
Why don't you have an interest in owning an electric car?
Price, reliability, range (I like spur of the moment trips in which I may drive 1000 miles for ****s and giggles), have to plug in every night and if driven a bunch practically every time one stops it will need to be plugged in. How long will they really last? What will go first? How do you fix on side of road if something happens? How much will that battery be to replace? How long before replacement? Will that particular battery be available in every automotive store like present day batteries for gas/diesel motors? Will that battery be affordable or will you all of a sudden get smacked with a &4000 bill that wasn't planned for? Will that pedestrian even hear you when you back out of a spot? Why are electric cars so friken ugly? It's like newer technology has to have some futuristic uglyness style designed into it!

I'm sure things will change later but at the moment and near future, why would I buy something that is limited as to where I can charge it. I don't live in a city and I never will. Are there many shops where mechanics are actually capable of repairing anything. And no, they are not going to be foolproof designs that never brake down. Perhaps I'm being ignorant here but there are plenty of companies that make out pretty good repairing smaller electric motors. Every type of electric motor I have ever used for something has crapped out in it's lifetime. So no, I don't think a larger car motor, which will be more designed for constant use is really going to last longer, if as long, then a modern iCE.

Let these types of vehicles be used in inner city taxi and bus service. I have no problem with that. I also have no problem if somebody wants one as his personal vehicle. I, however will stick to gas or diesel, depending on what type of vehicle I have.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
There may be some cannibalization and a few of them may acquire the others but the oil industry in general will be here for a long time yet. Not until we get Star Trek replicators.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:53 PM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
Not a chance, none.
These are most secure companies to last at least 100 years when compared to any other companies around.

Oil is used to manufacture many regular materials & products - which are irreplaceable.
On top of that, almost any motion requires lubrication which is oil again.

When talking about running fuel for vehicles, gasoline/diesel it is cheapest way to run and with new technology coming all the time, probably least pollution when looking in the grand scheme of things.

The environmental guys don't say and/or understand that electrical vehicles are still polluting since all electricity is made with consequence on the environment, plus components used in batteries.
Little it is currently said that driving the electrical vehicles will result with mountains of lithium batteries which are anything but environmental friendly...

Last edited by 28079; 01-12-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 01:56 PM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
I think pressured hydrogen has a better chance to dominate electrical cars in the next 30 years.

GM had the right idea 17 years ago but it was way ahead of its time.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:58 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Why is it that when this subject comes up, all that is considered is MOTOR FUEL?
Even a full electric vehicle needs lubricants; oil and grease. Yes, there are synthetics, but even after all the years they have been available, they are still more expensive than petroleum lubricants.
How many products do you use that are petrolatum (Vaseline) based? That is a waste residue of petroleum refining.
How many of you heat your homes with oil, propane, butane, or natural gas?
I believe we will need crude oil from the ground for many years to come, unless there is a major scientific breakthrough (similar to Heinlein's Shipstone).
Keep in mind that "modern" electric vehicles and their control systems rely rather heavily on rare-earth minerals for the electronic components. The mining, refining, and manufacture of those minerals/components is not necessarily environmentally friendly!
To a lesser degree, even the modern Internal Combustion vehicles rely heavily on the same things for their computers and control systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive