Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:23 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times

Advertisements

This entire post sounds mighty fishy. Why would anybody pay 8 grand for a car they can buy anywhere for half that and drive it before buying? Max full retail on this junker is only 4500 bucks and that's in great condition according to KKB. You can buy one here for less than that in near pristine condition. The buyer must be dumb as a fence post to over pay for a vehicle he couldn't test drive and apparently too dumb to ask to hear it run where he could have seen the mileage on the car. Yes, Mecum will start the car for you just by asking them. Apparently the buyer can't read either or he would have read all of this info in Buyers Credentials Package that he got when he registered. Regardless, anytime you buy anything at auction you better know what you're buying or expect to suffer with it afterwards. This is another "stupid people shouldn't breed" post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 08:44 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
As a follow-up, why would the mechanic say the tire were rotten due to overall water damage to the car when he could have just told us the car needed new tires.

Not to mention, I have a car that is 17 years old that I had to replace tires on 5 or 6 years ago due to them being rotten not from water damage, but just because instead of actual wear as the car only had about 50 thousand miles.

I don't think your sealed tires theory has merit.
Very sad situation, Blondy . . . but sounds like just another "as is" education coming up.

As for the tires . . . any idea of their build date? Regardless of their mileage, generally speaking, tires should be replaced every six to eight years, sometimes even more often, depending on the weather / exposure conditions.

When considering any vehicle that age a potential buyer should inspect the tires' build date (code stamped on every tire) and look beyond the beautiful Tire Gel appearance.

Sorry for the disappointing experience but, once again . . . As Is Sale.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:26 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Generally, at an auction, what you see is what you get. Your friend didn't look close enough and now he is out of luck.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:47 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
This entire post sounds mighty fishy. Why would anybody pay 8 grand for a car they can buy anywhere for half that and drive it before buying? Max full retail on this junker is only 4500 bucks and that's in great condition according to KKB. You can buy one here for less than that in near pristine condition. The buyer must be dumb as a fence post to over pay for a vehicle he couldn't test drive and apparently too dumb to ask to hear it run where he could have seen the mileage on the car. Yes, Mecum will start the car for you just by asking them. Apparently the buyer can't read either or he would have read all of this info in Buyers Credentials Package that he got when he registered. Regardless, anytime you buy anything at auction you better know what you're buying or expect to suffer with it afterwards. This is another "stupid people shouldn't breed" post.
I would guess they became enamored by the auction, seeing it on ESPN, seeing the car up there with all the 100K classics, etc, and in their minds that imparts some guarantee of quality.

Still dumb.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
The tires are the least of the problems....could just be dry rot from the Florida sun. As far as flooding, you can do a Car Fax to find out if there is any record, or use the Car Fax to back track ownership and do your own investigation. Previous owner could of had the car flooded, and dried it out on their own, therefore, no Car Fax report, and no red flags on the title.
I agree the tires are the least of the problem.

There is nothing on the Car Fax

Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Im sure the mechanic really worked for the dealer, Im sure the car has problems, Im sure somebody got screwed, by someone, but if it were me, Id have it towed to the dealer. I suspect the mechanic doesnt have a clue whats wrong, or doesnt have the tools to fix it or diagnose whats wrong, and didnt want to work on it.

I hear you and I was a bit skeptical of that myself, but the shop has been around for a long time and has a good rep. When I gave my friend a ride this morning to pick up the car there were 5 or 6 other Mercedes there.

But, I did suggest he have it towed to the dealer.

The owner agreed with the mechanic and both said they are sure it was flooded. There's mold under the back seat and in the trunk. The plugs that are found on the bottom of the car were in the trunk and they said the only reason to remove those is to drain water from the car.

The engine/transmission are good, but the computer/electronics are shot. When they went to bring the car out the suspension went, so now the car has to be towed anyway. They also said someone replaced the fuel pump but put it back with a screw rather than how it should be.

They both suggested find sell it for parts.

BTW....give Owings a wave for me next time you drive by. My mother is from there. Small world.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
This entire post sounds mighty fishy. Why would anybody pay 8 grand for a car they can buy anywhere for half that and drive it before buying? Max full retail on this junker is only 4500 bucks and that's in great condition according to KKB.

Yep. Sounds fishy.

All these auctions one has to register.
And there is data sheets for all cars.

And this is SECOND HAND story.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Seriously..How do the tires suffer water rot from the inside out?? They are sealed....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

I don't think your sealed tires theory has merit.
How could sealed tires rot from the inside out??

Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
So much BS in this post. Why would ANYONE pay 8K for a car worth around 4K at 60,000 miles? It took me all of 30 seconds to find the value. Also, why would they not verify the miles? Did they drive the vehicle to the block before they push it across the block? i.e. Drive it while outdoors and push it while indoors which is the general practice. Something just doesn't add up.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
So much BS in this post. Why would ANYONE pay 8K for a car worth around 4K at 60,000 miles? It took me all of 30 seconds to find the value. Also, why would they not verify the miles? Did they drive the vehicle to the block before they push it across the block? i.e. Drive it while outdoors and push it while indoors which is the general practice. Something just doesn't add up.
Because it was sold at the auction on TV Mecum is the auction where they auction off classics and they show it on ESPN, etc...

I had a friend that said "That house must be nice. Its being offered by Sotheby's." Same thought process. They thought that since it was a nice auction house that sold expensive art and antiques, that the realty agencies that used their name would similarly vet the houses. Not quite. Like the Mecum auto auction, they'll take whatever to earn their commissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive